1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Buffer Size

tvOS Video playback support subforum
samuraixp

Buffer Size

Post by samuraixp »

Hi,
Why is the buffer maxed at 200 MB and the other option is maxed at 8? This seems sub optimal for high mbps content like UHD 4k. For 20mbps content its not too bad but for 30mbps content I have noticed that once I get buffering issues that it never seems to recover and just drops frames continually. Over in Infuse their buffering seems to work better and the whole video pauses while the buffer is filled, it also feels like their buffer is more solid. They have an option for "auto" which claims to use some intelligent disk storage buffering as well? I have really fast internet like 100mbps but the connection will fluctuate, if I was able to have a much larger buffer and more aggressively pre-cache then I would basically never have any issues.

Is this a memory footprint limitation of tvOS? I am on a 5th gen Apple TV 4k with 12.3 currently, but was unsure if I should upgrade to 13.x.

I already paid for the full MrMc but this is a show stopper for me and I am considering paying the much more expensive price for Infuse if it works better. Alternatively, will I get a lot more control if I self-sign Kodi? I have a developer cert so thats no issue for me, but I don't see why this shouldn't be an option in MrMc itself?

Anyone else having these buffering issues on really high bitrate content despite having a really fast connection?
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Buffer Size

Post by davilla »

samuraixp wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 06:04 Hi,
Why is the buffer maxed at 200 MB and the other option is maxed at 8? This seems sub optimal for high mbps content like UHD 4k. For 20mbps content its not too bad but for 30mbps content I have noticed that once I get buffering issues that it never seems to recover and just drops frames continually. Over in Infuse their buffering seems to work better and the whole video pauses while the buffer is filled, it also feels like their buffer is more solid. They have an option for "auto" which claims to use some intelligent disk storage buffering as well? I have really fast internet like 100mbps but the connection will fluctuate, if I was able to have a much larger buffer and more aggressively pre-cache then I would basically never have any issues.

Is this a memory footprint limitation of tvOS? I am on a 5th gen Apple TV 4k with 12.3 currently, but was unsure if I should upgrade to 13.x.

I already paid for the full MrMc but this is a show stopper for me and I am considering paying the much more expensive price for Infuse if it works better. Alternatively, will I get a lot more control if I self-sign Kodi? I have a developer cert so thats no issue for me, but I don't see why this shouldn't be an option in MrMc itself?

Anyone else having these buffering issues on really high bitrate content despite having a really fast connection?
200 MBs is plenty of buffer space, that's 53 seconds @30mbps. Ignore read rate, the read limits shown in GUI do not apply. MrMC reads as fast as the network permits.

In OSD, there is codec info, this brings up live overlay that will show a/v demux buffers. Buffering issues generally indicate a network issue. I have no issue with 200Mbps test files on AppleTV 4K over 802.11ac wifi.
snodrog742

Re: Buffer Size

Post by snodrog742 »

davilla wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 13:52
samuraixp wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 06:04 Hi,

200 MBs is plenty of buffer space.
I disagree but have found user opinions usually don't matter.