Eventual frame skipping during playback

Nvidia Shield TV Video playback support subforum
tgrinchy

Eventual frame skipping during playback

Post by tgrinchy »

Hi everyone - much like many of the folks here, I've purchased the full MrMC app with the intention of upgrading/moving from SPMC to a better experience (and a supported platform, most of all).

Since switching, I'm seeing a consistent issue when playing back movies that they develop jerky playback where the audio sounds fine but the video becomes jerky/laggy. I've found that if I pause the move and then resume, it'll be "fixed" for a while and then develop it again. Unfortunately I can rarely playback any movie end to end without this problem from happening so I've switched back to SPMC for now.

To be clear, I can play the exact same movies flawlessly with SPMC, everything else being equal. I'm using frame rate switching for 24p playback with a 4 second delay (basically using all the recommended settings in MrMC as I did for SPMC). Movies themselves are 1080p bluray rips with makemkv; audio formats are mostly DTS-HD or TrueHD lossless tracks; bitstreaming to my AVR. Not doing any re-encoding or playing any exotic format.

I'm sure devs here want a debug log of some sort but what's the best way to do this - play a movie, make it happen stop it and grab a debug?

From some of the threads here it seems like I'm not the only one here having a similar issue with this - and obviously there's something that MrMC isn't handling well here that SPMC does. Any ideas?
cosmoxl

Re: Eventual frame skipping during playback

Post by cosmoxl »

Yes, a lot of us see the same problem.

It seems to be better by disabling advanced timing for AMC Surface and disabling IEC packed for audio in system>audio setup.
hieyemtim

Post by hieyemtim »

A lot of us are having this frame stuttering / skipping issue. Could one of the amazing developers chime in and let us know if they’re working on this? I feel like they must be since all these files that Stutter / skip work with Kodi and Plex without a problem. I disabled packed pass through but if I disable advanced timing the lip sync eventually falls apart. I love MRMC and can’t wait for this to be fixed. Thanks for all your hard work!! We really appreciate it.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

hieyemtim wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 15:51 A lot of us are having this frame stuttering / skipping issue. Could one of the amazing developers chime in and let us know if they’re working on this? I feel like they must be since all these files that Stutter / skip work with Kodi and Plex without a problem. I disabled packed pass through but if I disable advanced timing the lip sync eventually falls apart. I love MRMC and can’t wait for this to be fixed. Thanks for all your hard work!! We really appreciate it.
It may be related to a bug that Nvidia is fixing on their end?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... i/2377490/
hieyemtim

Post by hieyemtim »

Unfortunately this has been happening for a long time. I’ve been vocal on the beta forum but haven’t heard back from any developers. The same files work perfectly in Kodi and Plex so I don’t think it’s the shield
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

hieyemtim wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:21 Unfortunately this has been happening for a long time. I’ve been vocal on the beta forum but haven’t heard back from any developers. The same files work perfectly in Kodi and Plex so I don’t think it’s the shield
I hear you.
BillyBudapest

Post by BillyBudapest »

Another user seeing this problem with latest version
hieyemtim

Post by hieyemtim »

Just heard from one of the awesome developers and they said “We know about the issue and are looking at the possible culprits“ Just wanted everyone here to know they’re on it. Please remember to give this app 5 stars in the google play store. A lot of people give them low star ratings because it doesn’t support addons. Even though it clearly states in the apps description that they don’t. We really need this app because Kodi could be shutdown one day because of those addons and this app is the only other great option. To the devs, thanks for all your hard work!
hieyemtim

Post by hieyemtim »

Just updated to 3.9-6 2-15-17fb0a9 and frame shudder is better. 4k files seem perfect. However a lot of 1080p files look like they have "motion smoothing" (high frame rate look). I looked at the same files in Kodi and it plays at the normal 24fps and looks like film. This seems to be limited to TV shows MKV files and not Remux MKVs. Thanks for all your hard work on this amazing program!
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

hieyemtim wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 18:29 Just updated to 3.9-6 2-15-17fb0a9 and frame shudder is better. 4k files seem perfect. However a lot of 1080p files look like they have "motion smoothing" (high frame rate look). I looked at the same files in Kodi and it plays at the normal 24fps and looks like film. This seems to be limited to TV shows MKV files and not Remux MKVs. Thanks for all your hard work on this amazing program!
MrMC doesn't interpolate. Are you saying that MrMC isn't playing those files in 24fps output? Did you perhaps turn off the auto framerate switching?