1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Stutter when using HW acceleration

FireTV Video playback support subforum
jamesp26

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by jamesp26 »

Just upgraded to 2.8. Did you make it super awesome and jerky free? Playing BBC news for 30 mins and no sign of a stutter! Presume you are targeting 64 bit now?

Many thanks!
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

jamesp26 wrote:Just upgraded to 2.8. Did you make it super awesome and jerky free? Playing BBC news for 30 mins and no sign of a stutter! Presume you are targeting 64 bit now?

Many thanks!
Still targeting 32 bit :)
jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 »

I think i spoke to soon! :|

As far as i am concerned, the micro stutter i was seeing has now gone. However, the dropped frames on live tv issue that i once had has now come back. The original thread was here - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=717 . The cut MKV file is still downloadable and starts to drop frame like mad about 40 seconds in. This seams to happen when bit rates get a bit higher.

I presume this has been re-introduced by the following release note:

changed, move back to full core usage under ffmpeg decode, no sign of previous deinterlacing issue

I wonder if the 2 issues are mutually exclusive?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

jamesp26 wrote:I think i spoke to soon! :|

As far as i am concerned, the micro stutter i was seeing has now gone. However, the dropped frames on live tv issue that i once had has now come back. The original thread was here - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=717 . The cut MKV file is still downloadable and starts to drop frame like mad about 40 seconds in. This seams to happen when bit rates get a bit higher.

I presume this has been re-introduced by the following release note:

changed, move back to full core usage under ffmpeg decode, no sign of previous deinterlacing issue

I wonder if the 2 issues are mutually exclusive?
Grrr, I thought I tested with that clip on firetv. Will recheck.
jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 »

I don't know if it helps, but I think this only happens on BBC channels. Watched Formula one today on channel 4 and not a single dropped frame. Bit rate constantly hanging around 9-10 mb/s with Bob inverted deinterlacing (looked stunning!). Then switched over to BBC news which dropped frames at around 8mb/s.

I remember reading some time ago BBC were very aggressive with their HD encoding (stat mixing channels?). Might not be of any use but thought I would mention it!
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Try with MediaCodec enabled. If should be able to handle h264 interlaced now.
jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 »

I can see there are deinterlace settings turned on when mediacodec is enabled, but the video looks like its playing in slow motion. Flipping between auto, off and on doesn't seem to make any difference. Am i missing a setting somewhere?
jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 »

I've experimented a bit more with the different options. Under mediacodec, you have to select Deinterlace On (not Auto) and the method has to be Bob (as opposed to Bob Inverted). Mediacodec surface doesn't seem to work at all.

In a few cases, Mediacodec deinterlacing seems to work. I was able to watch some lower bit rate news channels and it seemed pretty smooth (can send you a clip of it working if you want). However, most channels really struggle with it, and like the athletics clip i attached, almost appears to be in slow motion. I noticed when looking at the video stats that when using it the 3rd and 4th cores were at 0%. I think this is a new feature to use mediacodec (well i've certainly not seen it before!) so maybe its a work in progress?

Any idea if you can revert back to the previous 2 cores usage for the FireTV (or make it an option for Live TV)? I am presuming Mediacodec requires Amazon to implement better deinterlacing? Fire Tv is now our main box for TV and the WAF is dropping. Its fine most of the time but when the frame drops kick in its really noticeable.

Many thanks!
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

I'm confused. I thought live tv always used software decode in MrMC?
jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 »

If you enable Mediacodec (not surface), it uses this for LiveTV instead of FFMpeg. Well, for me anyway!

If you enable Mediacodec Surface, it tries to use this for Recorded TV but not for Live tv.