1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

v3.8.0 musings as an Emby user

Stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else
MediaDevil

v3.8.0 musings as an Emby user

Post by MediaDevil »

First a quick thanks for bringing most of what I needed from Kodi to tvOS. After lurking for a long time using "MrMC lite" I made the purchase at v3.7.0 (thanks to Ariana). The Apple TV + MrMC is now our main media player.

Since 3.7.0 was released Emby released v1.4.0 of their tvOS app which finally uses a custom player (supporting more formats without requiring transcoding - which I disable on my server due to it being very under powered).

And I find myself torn as both options have advantages.

MrMC
  • Better video playback
  • Better audio output
  • The quiet genius of enabling subtitles with a triple tap (this should be a tvOS default/option)
  • Better playback OSD (having the current time/finish time)
  • tvOS-like scrubbing UI
Emby app
  • Better homescreen UI/UX (it feels more like a tvOS app)
  • "Next Up" functionality works
  • tvOS homescreen shelf shows TV Shows (rather than the redundant Recently Added Movies - how often does one add movies and also require quick access to said addition?)
Ultimately MrMC wins as the playback is superior (And re-watching Game of Thrones at the moment I can easily enable subtitles for Dothraki or Valyrian bits - have I mentioned how much I love the triple tap :) The little Siri remote does everything I need as well or better than my Harmony 750 now EXCEPT mute!).

I now find myself waiting to see which will happen first - will Emby improve their playback or MrMC their support of Emby specific features.

Either way I'm just happy to have 2 viable options (the wife really dislikes the Infuse UI so that's never been used by us). Looking forward to the next release (and fingers crossed for some Emby focus).