1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Sub $75 box with good deinterlacing? US

Any issues that are Android specific
bighick

Sub $75 box with good deinterlacing? US

Post by bighick »

In the past I used Kodi with Raspberry Pi at each TV and had good luck but from time to time I need to use Apps (MLB/Fox sports/espn) so I ditched those and moved over to Plex and have an assortment of devices, but am not a big fan of the PVR or UI.
Devices:
1x AppleTV 4
1x AppleTV 4k
1x Nvidia Shield
1x MiBox
1x FireTV the little box dongle thing and least favorite UI
1x Roku TV (i know i will need to add a box to this)
1x Roku 4 (i know i will have to replace this)

So I remade a NextPVR virtual machine to so i could go with MrMC. I have a 2x Hauppauge Quad-HD tuners and 1 HDHomerun Quatro. My channels are all clear QAM (over 50 HD channels!). Problem is only the AppleTV and Shield can play the 1080i videos without issues. On the Mibox and FireTV i get something like a stutter every few seconds and isn't really watchable. Is there a more affordable box that can deinterlace 1080i signals reliably?

4 of these boxes are in my man cave where i have 4 tvs on a wall. 99% of live tv is sports.
cosmoxl

Re: Sub $75 box with good deinterlacing? US

Post by cosmoxl »

bighick wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 17:27 In the past I used Kodi with Raspberry Pi at each TV and had good luck but from time to time I need to use Apps (MLB/Fox sports/espn) so I ditched those and moved over to Plex and have an assortment of devices, but am not a big fan of the PVR or UI.
Devices:
1x AppleTV 4
1x AppleTV 4k
1x Nvidia Shield
1x MiBox
1x FireTV the little box dongle thing and least favorite UI
1x Roku TV (i know i will need to add a box to this)
1x Roku 4 (i know i will have to replace this)

So I remade a NextPVR virtual machine to so i could go with MrMC. I have a 2x Hauppauge Quad-HD tuners and 1 HDHomerun Quatro. My channels are all clear QAM (over 50 HD channels!). Problem is only the AppleTV and Shield can play the 1080i videos without issues. On the Mibox and FireTV i get something like a stutter every few seconds and isn't really watchable. Is there a more affordable box that can deinterlace 1080i signals reliably?

4 of these boxes are in my man cave where i have 4 tvs on a wall. 99% of live tv is sports.
I don't know about the dongle but my fire tv 2 can play 1080i no problem. Just set the deinterlacing to bob-inverse.

And I thought I saw that it was on sale recently.
wrxtasy

Re: Sub $75 box with good deinterlacing? US

Post by wrxtasy »

@bighick,

The best deinterlaced picture output quality for Broadcast TV is going to be found on the Apple TV 4K, Intel hardware, RPi's and the AMLogic S9XX boxes running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

What you want is either Full motion hardware deinterlacing or Full motion CPU software deinterlacing. You need Full Motion deinterlacing for fast sports action Tv viewing.

TIP time: with MrMC on the Apple TV 4K, when TV is streaming make sure you go into:
Settings > Video > Deinterlaced Method > YADIF2x
Then "Set as default for all Media" down the bottom.

The Shield with MrMC will likely struggle with that setting and 1080i H264 TV, due to having an older slower CPU package vs the ATV 4K.

Anyway back to cheap devices:

ALL AMLogic hardware boxes, like the Mi Box or the Fire TV (dongle) Gen3 will have issues with deinterlacing. It does not matter if you use MrMC, Kodi or Live Channels - they all have the same half motion deinterlacing stuttering issues. It's a known Firmware bug. You HAVE to use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

You best bet would be to try and find the cheapest available MECOOL M8S Pro L and dual boot it to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, there are details in the following post:
(You will need a $10 USB Mini Dongle Wireless remote for use in LibreELEC - do NOT get the Bluetooth one)

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2765197

Even the cheap S905W - Nexbox A95X Pro boxes would do the job. They are not that much slower vs the S912's when running LibreELEC anyway, especially after you give the GPU MHz a bit of a "tickle" - easily done via a Kodi setting with my LE releases !

I use an AMLogic S912 MINIX U9 running LibreELEC Krypton and also the Apple TV 4K with MrMC for all my Broadcast TV - Sports viewing action, with a TvHeadend external server.
Excellent deinterlaced picture quality on both. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I can get full motion deinterlacing of 576i mpeg2 SD content with MrMC on the Mi Box with these settings:

Acceleration > Mediacodec Surface only selected and
- Allow Interlaced content
- Allow SD content