1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Playback of HDR content on non-HDR TVs broken in tvOS 11.3

Any issues that are tvOS specific
ionutm80

Playback of HDR content on non-HDR TVs broken in tvOS 11.3

Post by ionutm80 »

Hi,

This is probably the second biggest bug that Apple introduced with tvOS 11.3 after the DTS pass-through. It seems that conversion of HDR to SDR for non-capable TVs is broken. For me is a lesson learned with Apple / already deactivated automatic updates. However it seems that Infuse already got a workaround on this judging by the print screens posted on their forum and pushed an update to App Store (not yet approved by Apple, we're still waiting ...). Do you plan to do something similar for MrMC?

@davilla

I know that your reply on Kodi forum was not very encouraging about this new issue introduced by Apple but now there should be some hope, no?
Scoty43

Re: Playback of HDR content on non-HDR TVs broken in tvOS 11.3

Post by Scoty43 »

Why you will play hdr whene you not have a hdr tv?
ionutm80

Post by ionutm80 »

Scoty43 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 06:48 Why you will play hdr whene you not have a hdr tv?
Because I already have HDR movies, 2 ATVs 4K and 2 TVs of which only one is HDR capable the other one is only 1080p. I keep my library on a NAS PC and I do not want to have 2 copies of the same movie: one HDR and one non-HDR.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

We are watching 11.4 beta, if it does not get fixed, then we will figure something out.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

I was also very saddened when Apple removed this feature.

I've been waiting for a proper time to ask if something could be done in MrMC. I know Koying was being asked to work out something in SPMC a few months ago. So, perhaps there's a good start already?

So, what is Infuse doing? Have they already introduced shader math or conversion by 3DLUT to accomplish HDR->SDR?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

cosmoxl wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 14:41 I was also very saddened when Apple removed this feature.

I've been waiting for a proper time to ask if something could be done in MrMC. I know Koying was being asked to work out something in SPMC a few months ago. So, perhaps there's a good start already?

So, what is Infuse doing? Have they already introduced shader math or conversion by 3DLUT to accomplish HDR->SDR?
Infuse switched from using GLES to Metal for GPU rendering. Apple's GLES does not support the wide color yet and it is unclear if it ever will.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 15:46
cosmoxl wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 14:41 I was also very saddened when Apple removed this feature.

Infuse switched from using GLES to Metal for GPU rendering. Apple's GLES does not support the wide color yet and it is unclear if it ever will.
That's a little above my head so I hope it's not silly to ask, what does AVFoundation use for GPU rendering?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

cosmoxl wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 15:54
davilla wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 15:46

That's a little above my head so I hope it's not silly to ask, what does AVFoundation use for GPU rendering?
Not GLES for sure. Maybe Metal, maybe not. That's the whole point, rendering it to a CALayer is up to how Apple decides is the best way.
ionutm80

Post by ionutm80 »

Hi, I can confirm that the bug fix pushed by Infuse is working and I can watch again HDR movies on my non-HDR tv. Hope that MrMC will also get a patch soon.
ionutm80

Post by ionutm80 »

Hi, final 11.4 is out but the playback of HDR files on non-HDR TVs is still broken.
Can you please do something about this?