1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Missing Shadow Detail, nothing below 2.5% black.....now 4.1%

Any issues that are tvOS specific
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Missing Shadow Detail, nothing below 2% black

Post by davilla »

As reported:

Code: Select all

- using the TV's native media player: 66 and up are visible (nominal),
- using Infuse on Apple TV 4K: 84 and up are visible,
- using MrMC on Apple TV 4K: 84 and up are visible,
- using the "Computers" app on Apple TV 4K (through iTunes homesharing): 72 and up are visible.
But zero info on what 1) really means as there is no 'native' media player at the tvOS app level. As far as APIs, there are three a) AVPlayer b) AVPlayerViewController and c) AVSampleBufferLayer. a) and b) are more or less identical. c is a lower level than a or b).

MrMC uses c). We will investigate further but this is low on our priority list.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 02:12 As reported:

Code: Select all

- using the TV's native media player: 66 and up are visible (nominal),
- using Infuse on Apple TV 4K: 84 and up are visible,
- using MrMC on Apple TV 4K: 84 and up are visible,
- using the "Computers" app on Apple TV 4K (through iTunes homesharing): 72 and up are visible.
But zero info on what 1) really means as there is no 'native' media player at the tvOS app level. As far as APIs, there are three a) AVPlayer b) AVPlayerViewController and c) AVSampleBufferLayer. a) and b) are more or less identical. c is a lower level than a or b).

MrMC uses c). We will investigate further but this is low on our priority list.
I think "tv's native media player" meant the media player on their TV, not ATV4k.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Anyone try VLC yet ? Their 3.0 version says it has HDR support.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 20:59 Anyone try VLC yet ? Their 3.0 version says it has HDR support.
Whatever method VLC uses it's mapping HDR to SDR for me. MrMC used to do that but in 11.3 beta it doesn't.

Also, VLC is not matching frame rate of content for me.

I'm guessing that of the 3 API you mentioned earlier it uses one different from MrMC?
wesk05

Post by wesk05 »

I tried one of the black level clips that was posted on the Infuse forum (https://firecore.com/comment/81963#comment-81963). It has been muxed to m4v container. When played via iTunes Home Sharing using the "Computers" app, it shows all the bars upto 66 (64 shouldn't be visible). You may have to increase the brightness on your TV to see bars 66 & 68. The same file when played in MrMC or Infuse only shows upto 84. It looks like there is definitely a difference in the rendering mechanism.

I tired VLC 3.0.1. HDR didn't work for me. Frame rate matching also didn't work.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

wesk05 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 00:54 I tried one of the black level clips that was posted on the Infuse forum (https://firecore.com/comment/81963#comment-81963). It has been muxed to m4v container. When played via iTunes Home Sharing using the "Computers" app, it shows all the bars upto 66 (64 shouldn't be visible). You may have to increase the brightness on your TV to see bars 66 & 68. The same file when played in MrMC or Infuse only shows upto 84. It looks like there is definitely a difference in the rendering mechanism.

I tired VLC 3.0.1. HDR didn't work for me. Frame rate matching also didn't work.
Good info wesk05, now that I can see the difference, I can start poking around as to why.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Found it :) As it seems that other 3rd party apps have similar behavior, this looks like a bug on the tvOS but there does seem to be a workaround. Now at least matches
'- using the "Computers" app on Apple TV 4K (through iTunes homesharing): 72 and up are visible.
This is 03 black-level-v3.m4v with levels blown up to show details on browsers.

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 16:57 Found it :) As it seems that other 3rd party apps have similar behavior, this looks like a bug on the tvOS but there does seem to be a workaround. Now at least matches
'- using the "Computers" app on Apple TV 4K (through iTunes homesharing): 72 and up are visible.
This is 03 black-level-v3.m4v with levels blown up to show details on browsers.

So what's going to happen if/when apple fixes their bug? :)
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

nothing :)
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

new TestFlight pushed, please test and verify the fix.