Since 3.7.0 was released Emby released v1.4.0 of their tvOS app which finally uses a custom player (supporting more formats without requiring transcoding - which I disable on my server due to it being very under powered).
And I find myself torn as both options have advantages.
- Better video playback
- Better audio output
- The quiet genius of enabling subtitles with a triple tap (this should be a tvOS default/option)
- Better playback OSD (having the current time/finish time)
- tvOS-like scrubbing UI
- Better homescreen UI/UX (it feels more like a tvOS app)
- "Next Up" functionality works
- tvOS homescreen shelf shows TV Shows (rather than the redundant Recently Added Movies - how often does one add movies and also require quick access to said addition?)
I now find myself waiting to see which will happen first - will Emby improve their playback or MrMC their support of Emby specific features.
Either way I'm just happy to have 2 viable options (the wife really dislikes the Infuse UI so that's never been used by us). Looking forward to the next release (and fingers crossed for some Emby focus).