1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Option to increase Buffer Size (in RAM) beyond 200 MB on Shield

Any issues that are Nvidia Shield TV specific
Soaringswine

Option to increase Buffer Size (in RAM) beyond 200 MB on Shield

Post by Soaringswine » 29 May 2018, 11:38

Hi!

I was / am an avid user of SPMC and have since moved to MrMC on my Shield. However, I believe offering the option to increase Buffer Size in MrMC beyond 200 MB to something like 800 MB (which still leaves a good amount of the Shield's 3 GB of RAM free) would be extremely beneficial for watching high bitrate videos (4K remuxes for instance) in MrMC. I have modified my advancedsettings in SPMC to a buffer size of 800 MB and read rate of 20 and I have much better luck watching high bitrate videos than on MrMC with the max buffer size of 200 MB and a read rate of 20, both over gigabit ethernet SMB (using Shield's native SMB client).

Is there a technical reason we are limited to a 200 MB buffer size in MrMC?

Angryunibrow

Re: Option to increase Buffer Size (in RAM) beyond 200 MB on Shield

Post by Angryunibrow » 29 May 2018, 23:46

I was wondering about this myself, using Kodi in the past I could edit the advancedsettings.xml to cache ahead basically the entire movie.

Will anything like this be coming to Mrmc?

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 30 May 2018, 00:12

if you say, play a 60+Mb average bit rate over 802.11g which can only handle 54Mb/s, then no amount of buffer/etc will help you.

Buffering the entire movie also make little sense, There are too many differences, could be an avi of 200MBs in size, or you might be talking a 86GB 4K-HD10/DolbyVision.

Read rate is ignored and has been internally removed. So buffers fill as fast as your net/protocol can support. Some protocol are faster than others. For example, nsf tends to be faster than smb. There are even differences between protocol flavors, libdsm is faster than libsmbclient and the new libsbm2 (in Testflight now) is faster than the other two.

200MB's is a general, one size fits all max setting. Some devices can handle more, some less. In general, if your net transport is good, 200MB's is just fine. I also test very high bit-rate 4K content and I've seen no problems with the default 200MB.

So, given all that, we are hesitant to go larger than 200MB because someone is sure to pick a larger buffer than their device can really handle safely. Here safely means running into out of memory errors and spontaneous crashes. This is the 1st time in over two years since MrMC came out that someone has ever requested a larger buffer size.

The debuglog does contain tracking regarding buffer sizes that various transport protocols.

Soaringswine

Post by Soaringswine » 30 May 2018, 00:30

I have a probably unique situation where my media is stored on a Gsuite Business account mounted via Stablebit Clouddrive on a 1 Gb / 1 Gb internet connection at home. the software caches locally onto a large SSD and it prefetches data fairly aggressively and downloads from Gsuite at around 400 Mb/s. it works fine for 90% of all content with no stutters with SPMC (on Shield), Plex, and MPC-HC on Windows (including very large 10 bit 4k remuxes with Atmos like you mentioned). however, it seems MrMc is more susceptible to buffering issues and the only thing I could think of that is different between it and SPMC on the same Shield would be the buffering settings.

I can understand the issues with people setting too high of a buffer size, but can that limit not be set based on architecture + available RAM?

(also along that note, have you noticed many speed differences in Shield's OS level SMB implementation vs libdsm / libdsm2?)

Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow » 30 May 2018, 01:47

My setup is very similar, minus the stablebit part.
My media is all stored in the cloud and is pulled down when watching something. So while watching a 70GB 4k movie it was nice to have the read ahead buffer in Kodi so if any hiccups in the network occoured it didn't mess up the movie.

Kodi was able to cache it to internal storage, in my case it's a 500GB SSD I have setup on the shield as expanded storage. So while watching a movie in Kodi it would take 20 or so minutes to cache the entire movie internally and then network activity would stop and the movie would play like it was locally taking out any network hiccups.

Now grant it I have had zero issues so far doing this with the current setup in Mrmc but was just wondering if the option was on the table to cater to us who store their media in the cloud and want to pull it down quickly while watching it.

Great piece of software none the less and I actually like this better than Kodi.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 30 May 2018, 02:03

turn on webserver

curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Input.ShowCodec","id":1}' http://192.168.2.44:8080/jsonrpc

use your device IP.

when playing video.

then watch the buffer cache, aq and vq. buffer cache drains into aq and vq which are demux buffers. If those drain to zero, then playback will stop until they fill again.

Soaringswine

Post by Soaringswine » 30 May 2018, 03:21

Angryunibrow wrote:
30 May 2018, 01:47
My media is all stored in the cloud and is pulled down when watching something. So while watching a 70GB 4k movie it was nice to have the read ahead buffer in Kodi so if any hiccups in the network occoured it didn't mess up the movie.

Kodi was able to cache it to internal storage, in my case it's a 500GB SSD I have setup on the shield as expanded storage. So while watching a movie in Kodi it would take 20 or so minutes to cache the entire movie internally and then network activity would stop and the movie would play like it was locally taking out any network hiccups.

Now grant it I have had zero issues so far doing this with the current setup in Mrmc but was just wondering if the option was on the table to cater to us who store their media in the cloud and want to pull it down quickly while watching it.

Great piece of software none the less and I actually like this better than Kodi.
I never thought of that! did you just use a USB SSD as "adopted storage" on the shield which moves SPMC / MrMC to the SSD and then set SPMC / MrMC memory / buffer size to 0 (to cache to the SSD instead of RAM)?

Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow » 30 May 2018, 03:30

Soaringswine wrote:
30 May 2018, 03:21
Angryunibrow wrote:
30 May 2018, 01:47

I never thought of that! did you just use a USB SSD as "adopted storage" on the shield which moves SPMC / MrMC to the SSD and then set SPMC / MrMC memory / buffer size to 0 (to cache to the SSD instead of RAM)?
Exactly!
Was hoping this option would make it to Mrmc, maybe someday

Soaringswine

Post by Soaringswine » 30 May 2018, 03:35

Angryunibrow wrote:
30 May 2018, 03:30
Exactly!
wait, what happens when you change Setting->System->Internet Access-> Buffer Size in MrMc to 0? does it not cache the entire movie to the SSD anymore?

Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow » 30 May 2018, 03:41

Soaringswine wrote:
30 May 2018, 03:35
Angryunibrow wrote:
30 May 2018, 03:30
Exactly!
wait, what happens when you change Setting->System->Internet Access-> Buffer Size in MrMc to 0? does it not cache the entire movie to the SSD anymore?
Ok I never tried that to be honest, I do know the settings I would change would come from the advancesetting.xml in Kodi

Edit - tried it and I do not see the read ahead buffer caching ahead like it would do in Kodi, I don't think it works the same way it was in Kodi using the advancesetting.xml