1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Oreo rolling out to Shield

Any issues that are Nvidia Shield TV specific
azriel84
Posts: 34
Joined: 03 Apr 2018, 10:44

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by azriel84 » 29 May 2018, 19:18

The colorspace switching is the one thing I wait too from Shield in Oreo update. If it's not happening, I guess ATV is coming to the rescue...

Angryunibrow
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 May 2018, 22:30

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by Angryunibrow » 29 May 2018, 22:33

azriel84 wrote:
29 May 2018, 19:18
The colorspace switching is the one thing I wait too from Shield in Oreo update. If it's not happening, I guess ATV is coming to the rescue...
I registered just for this same question. Please let this be available at the app level and not the system level and we would have to wait for Nvidia to do something.

I would love to go back to my shield full time once this happen.

User avatar
koying
Team MrMC
Posts: 372
Joined: 20 Mar 2016, 17:49

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by koying » 30 May 2018, 06:05

https://developer.android.com/reference ... splay.Mode is the API we use to switch resolutions.
Nothing new here for Oreo re colorspaces, so nothing can be done from MrMC side.

That being said, not sure what's the issue at hand.
I personally put the shield in 4:2:2 bt2020 and I never noticed issues. At least with Surface, color mapping seems fine.
If I'm wrong, a sample and some screenshots of what it *should* display vs what it actually does might at least help me understand the issue.

If it's HDR->SDR, then only switching colorspace won't make tonemapping magically appear ;)

EDIT: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... grade-7-0/ speaks about "Improved color space conversion such as from Rec. 709 or sRGB source content to Rec. 2020"



Rootax
Posts: 17
Joined: 29 May 2018, 14:17

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by Rootax » 30 May 2018, 07:51

The thing is pretty "simple" for a lot of us.

Calibrate your display for bt709. Then switch so bt2020. The colors are off / not right. Simple as that. Maybe if you calibrate for bt2020 and then watch bt709 it's ok, but the other way around doesn't work right. A lot of users complain about that for a long time on the nvidia forums. And it the only device doing that for me. Consoles&co, output the same colors, rgb or bt2020... Shield is not...

And it's strange because Oreo was suppose to bring this function, but I'm at work right now and can't find the official page. It was why a lot of use were waiting for Oreo. If it's not the case, It will be a deadbox for a lot of us...

sdsnyr94
Posts: 37
Joined: 29 Nov 2016, 18:03

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by sdsnyr94 » 30 May 2018, 14:04

koying wrote:
30 May 2018, 06:05
EDIT: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... grade-7-0/ speaks about "Improved color space conversion such as from Rec. 709 or sRGB source content to Rec. 2020"
Noggin on the Kodi forum seems to have some knowledge about it - there may be a new API that applications may need to call... it's not something done at the OS level.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2739318

Angryunibrow
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 May 2018, 22:30

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by Angryunibrow » 30 May 2018, 17:11

koying wrote:
30 May 2018, 06:05
https://developer.android.com/reference ... splay.Mode is the API we use to switch resolutions.
Nothing new here for Oreo re colorspaces, so nothing can be done from MrMC side.

That being said, not sure what's the issue at hand.
I personally put the shield in 4:2:2 bt2020 and I never noticed issues. At least with Surface, color mapping seems fine.
If I'm wrong, a sample and some screenshots of what it *should* display vs what it actually does might at least help me understand the issue.

If it's HDR->SDR, then only switching colorspace won't make tonemapping magically appear ;)

EDIT: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... grade-7-0/ speaks about "Improved color space conversion such as from Rec. 709 or sRGB source content to Rec. 2020"
Hi Koying

Are you saying you leave your shield in colorspace 2020 all the time even when watching Rec.709 content (Broadcast TV, or 1080p Blu-rays Ect..)

If that is the case they colors are not being displayed correctly.

Is it possible for MrMC to tap into the new API and automatically switch to the correct colorspace per content being watched (Like the ATV 4K currently does)

My current setup now (Until this is fixed on the Shield is:)
ATV4K - Set to 4k SDR (Rec.709) with Colorspace and Framerate switching enabled in the settings. So when I watch a 4K movie it switches to Rec.2020 so the colors look correct. When the movie is over and I exit Mr.MC the ATV4K switches back to Rec.709.
Because the ATV4k does not do resolution switching I have to keep it in 4k SDR and have it upscale everything to 4K, I would prefer to let me LG OLED TV do this - so the ATV4K is not perfect by any means.

My ideal situation would be:
Shield set to 1080p Rec.709 so my TV upscales non native 4K content to 4K (Colorspace looks correct)
Fire up MrMC to watch a 4K HDR movie, MrMC auto switches the resolution to 4K (which it currently does, thank you) and then switch to the Rec.2020 colorspace so colors are correct. When the movie is over and I exit, my Shield will then default back to 1080p Rec.709.

Is the above situation possible in MrMC at some point with the new API Oreo is bringing us?

User avatar
koying
Team MrMC
Posts: 372
Joined: 20 Mar 2016, 17:49

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by koying » 30 May 2018, 17:48

Angryunibrow wrote:
30 May 2018, 17:11
Are you saying you leave your shield in colorspace 2020 all the time even when watching Rec.709 content (Broadcast TV, or 1080p Blu-rays Ect..)

If that is the case they colors are not being displayed correctly.
Yep. I'm totally *not* a picture quality nazi, so seems fine to me.
If you want me to understand the issue, somebody will have to show me pictures ;)

Angryunibrow
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 May 2018, 22:30

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by Angryunibrow » 30 May 2018, 18:11

koying wrote:
30 May 2018, 17:48
Angryunibrow wrote:
30 May 2018, 17:11
Are you saying you leave your shield in colorspace 2020 all the time even when watching Rec.709 content (Broadcast TV, or 1080p Blu-rays Ect..)

If that is the case they colors are not being displayed correctly.
Yep. I'm totally *not* a picture quality nazi, so seems fine to me.
If you want me to understand the issue, somebody will have to show me pictures ;)
Looking at Rec.709 content in Rec.2020 colorspace will make your image basically over saturated.
This is very apparent on the Shield home screen.

If I place the Shield in Rec.2020 and view the home screen all of the icons are way over saturated. The MrMC Icon, my HDHomerun icon (Which is green appears Neon Green) and it's incorrect.

Now I'm not sure what TV you use, but i'm using a LG OLED and the colors on my display are spot on and calibrated.

This is an on going issue with the Shield community, I could post numerous posts regarding this from there official forums.
Oreo was supposed to give the API to developers to address this issue.

That's why the question is being brought up, now that the APIs are present in Oreo it would be nice to see this addressed.

Rootax
Posts: 17
Joined: 29 May 2018, 14:17

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by Rootax » 30 May 2018, 18:14

Funny, for me, putting the shield on bt2020, and bt709 content colors are kind of washed up.

Angryunibrow
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 May 2018, 22:30

Re: Oreo rolling out to Shield

Post by Angryunibrow » 30 May 2018, 18:34

Rootax wrote:
30 May 2018, 18:14
Funny, for me, putting the shield on bt2020, and bt709 content colors are kind of washed up.

Rec.2020 Color Gamut

The next generation Standard Color Gamut will be the impressively large Rec.2020 standard, In fact, it is 72 percent larger than sRGB / Rec.709 and 37 percent larger than DCI-P3. The Color Gamut is extremely wide and the Color Saturation extremely high.


Something is wrong with your display if it appears washed out.
Are you sure you were not watching Rec.2020 content in Rec.709, then it will appear washed out.

Post Reply