1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Unable to get PCM audio on Fire TV 4K Stick

Any issues that are FireTV specific
walterfrosch

Unable to get PCM audio on Fire TV 4K Stick

Post by walterfrosch » 15 May 2019, 15:25

Hi all,

I tried to search for this issue but couldn't fnd an answer. If this a known issue or if there are answers for this somewhere else, please be so kind and direct me towards those.

I am running mrmc (tried both lite and full) on an Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick (Fire OS 6.2.6.3 NS6263/2349). Audo is set to "Best available" in the Display & Sounds settings to avoid the FTV from overriding PCM with DD+.

Now I am aware that the FTV 4K Stick is not able to passthrough HD formats. However, as far as I understand it should be possible to output losless audio via PCM when de-activating passthrough in the "System - Audio output" settings of mrmc.

Unfortunately, if I deactivate passthrough for everything except for AC3, for both DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD my AVR shows that the input coming from the Fire TV is DD+5.1. If I switch on passthrough for DTS-HD, mrmc correctly and expectedly passes on the DTS core of DTS-HD MA to my AVR. If I turn on passthrough for TrueHD the input my AVR receives shows up as DD+ Stereo.

These are my settings under Audio Output:
Number of channels: 7.1
Output configuration: Best match
Stereo upmix: N
Maintain original volume on downmix: Y
Boost voice channel: 0dB
Resample quality: High
threshold for pitch correction: 2
Keep audio device alive: 1 Minute
-Level of inaudible silence: Default
Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio encoding: N (but I've tried it "On" as well)
Play GUI sounds: Only when playback stopped
Enable passthrough: Y
Passthrough format is IEC packed: N (tried both)
AC3 capable receiver: Y
E-AC3 capable receiver: Y
DTS capable receiver: N
TrueHD capable receiver: N
DTS-HD capable receiver: N

"Video - Playback" -> "Adjust display refresh rate" is usually set to "On Start/Stop" but I have playerd around with all options there, as well. (don't think that matters but wanted to mention it)

I've also tried virtually the same settings (where applicable) on Kodi 18.2 on the same hardware and am able to output PCM to my AVR for HD formats, which is why I am wondering why it does not work with mrmc.

Is there something I am missing?

I'd like to use mrmc and being able to use HD audio (at least via PCM) would be a major plus.

Thank you for your help

koying
Team MrMC

Re: Unable to get PCM audio on Fire TV 4K Stick

Post by koying » 20 May 2019, 09:58

DD+? That would be the stick transcoding, then, not MrMC.
What's happening if you set the speaker config to 5.1?

debuglog might tell us more

walterfrosch

Post by walterfrosch » 21 May 2019, 10:25

koying wrote:
20 May 2019, 09:58
DD+? That would be the stick transcoding, then, not MrMC.
What's happening if you set the speaker config to 5.1?

debuglog might tell us more
Thank you for your reply. I tried 5.1 and it's behaving the same way.

This is the debug log paste:

https://pastebin.com/YqwpWuUf

For this log, I''ve used the 7.1 config and tried a video file containing ac3 5.1, dts hd-ma 7.1 and true hd 7.1. The order in the log should follow the order here, I believe. (ac3 -> dts hd-ma -> true hd 7.1).

Please let me know if this log contains the information you require. If not, I can create a new one.

Would be awesome if you find something that helps fix that issue.

Thank you

walterfrosch

Post by walterfrosch » 03 Jun 2019, 14:54

Sorry to bump this, but has anybody from the team had a chance to look into this issue?

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 03 Jun 2019, 15:20

walterfrosch wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 14:54
Sorry to bump this, but has anybody from the team had a chance to look into this issue?
Looks like MrMC is outputting PCM so if you get DD, it's the firestick doing the encode. Poke around in fireOS auto settings.

walterfrosch

Post by walterfrosch » 05 Jun 2019, 09:13

Thank you for looking into this!

I will play around with the settings once I am bock home. However, given the available audio options of the Fire TV, I would have assumed that "Best available" would be the one to choose as the other Fire TV sound modes (from my understanding) are basically forcing either Stereo, Dolby Digital oder Dolby Digital+.

Also there is one point that is not 100% clear to me: As mentioned in the original post, Kodi 18.2 manages to correctly output PCM with basically the same settings that I use in mrmc (and on the FTV). I'm aware that it is a different project with different code etc. - however, my expectation as a layman would have been that if Kodi manages to output PCM and find a way around the FTV encoding it as DD+, that mrmc would do that as well (considering that they both offer PCM for HD audio formats).

It seems like the issue is not common though as I haven't found anything in these forums, so it might be something with my set up.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 05 Jun 2019, 13:13

walterfrosch wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 09:13
Thank you for looking into this!

I will play around with the settings once I am bock home. However, given the available audio options of the Fire TV, I would have assumed that "Best available" would be the one to choose as the other Fire TV sound modes (from my understanding) are basically forcing either Stereo, Dolby Digital oder Dolby Digital+.

Also there is one point that is not 100% clear to me: As mentioned in the original post, Kodi 18.2 manages to correctly output PCM with basically the same settings that I use in mrmc (and on the FTV). I'm aware that it is a different project with different code etc. - however, my expectation as a layman would have been that if Kodi manages to output PCM and find a way around the FTV encoding it as DD+, that mrmc would do that as well (considering that they both offer PCM for HD audio formats).

It seems like the issue is not common though as I haven't found anything in these forums, so it might be something with my set up.
how about a debuglog for your Kodi 18.2, that might tell us what's going on.