1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Can TvOS or MrMC encode DTS5.1 to DD5.1 on the fly?

Any issues that are tvOS specific
aaaMMMaaa

Can TvOS or MrMC encode DTS5.1 to DD5.1 on the fly?

Post by aaaMMMaaa » 08 Aug 2019, 07:54

Hello.

I want to give a ATV4K as a present to my brother, but there is something im in doubt about.

His current setup
Video: RPI 3b -> ViewHD 1080p hdmi splitter -> HDMI -> TV
Audio: -> Toslink SPDIF -> Reciever (does NOT support HDMI input, only toslink/spdif input)

In this way, he has support of passtrhough of DTS5.1 and DD5.1 (AC3)

I understand that TvOS since 11.3 does NOT support passthough.
Therefore i think it will be impossible to support DTS5.1 without transcoding.

What is the best way forward, as I believe it is impossible to get bitstream DTS5.1 as was the case with RPi?
Running MrMC 3.8.1 on Atv4K-TvOS 12.4

aaaMMMaaa

Re: Can TvOS or MrMC encode DTS5.1 to DD5.1 on the fly?

Post by aaaMMMaaa » 08 Aug 2019, 13:35

No one can assist with my question? No one has a similar setup?

What does people do that have an old working reciever which works perfect with DTS5.1 and DD5.1 via optical and that has an apple TV? I thought the solution would be trivial, but perhaps not?

What does TvOS do, when it recieves a DTS stream from MrMC, and the Audio out is set to Dolby Digital?
Does it transcode it to DD5.1 or DD2.0?

How does MrMC send the DTS stream to TvOS? Does it send it natively, or does it decode it to 5.1PCM, and then TvOS encodes to DD5.1?

Someone must know the answer to these questions?

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl » 08 Aug 2019, 14:30

You'll have to give people time. They're busy with lives or working on development.

I'm unfamiliar with your situation but I believe MrMC can still encode to DD 5.1 if setup that way. Or you can have MrMC just output PCM (that's the default, all you'd need to do is set the proper number of audio channels) and set tvOS settings to output DD 5.1 and not "best available" which is multi channel PCM.

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet » 08 Aug 2019, 15:54

MrMC set to 5.1 pcm -> Apple TV setup to DD output will output 5.1 DD , I cannot comment on Toslink SPDIF conversion and how well that will work from Apple TV, depends how tv( or however you convert) handles that

aaaMMMaaa

Post by aaaMMMaaa » 12 Aug 2019, 11:38

For anyone finding this thread in the future.

I simulated that my soundbar could only do 5.1 DD, as to simulate Toslink/spdif recieving end.

I changed the TvOS to convert audio, and choose DD.

In MrMC you have to choose 5.1 in audio channels.

I then tried playing DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD etc.. And all seemed to convert to DD5.1, when looking into my reciever. So this is very good news for anyone looking for same question as me.