1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

HDR10 issue with MrMC only

Any issues that are tvOS specific
superczar

HDR10 issue with MrMC only

Post by superczar » 31 May 2019, 09:55

First of all, thank you for the great software you have built. I moved from MrMC to Infuse a couple of years ago but back to MrMC now on both iOS and tvOS :)

Coming to the issue, my ATV4K is set to 4K SDR 4:4:4 with frame rate and range match On
The TV is a Samsung JS9000 and the ATV is connected via a Marantz SR6010.

SDR content works as expected on MrMC as well as any other app

Coming to HDR: Both Netflix and Prime HDR work fine and any title with either Dolby Vision or HDR10 plays back fine with the output coming in HDR10 mode as verified by the ATV HUD (DV-> HDR10 as TV supports only HDR10)

However when I tried a HDR file for a recent title on MrMC, the HDR output is completely washed out and looks like a classic example of a flat HDR image with missing metadata
I played back an SDR encoded version of the same title and that plays back as expected in SDR output.

Is there some setting in MrMC that I am missing or is it some kind of incomaptibility bug?

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: HDR10 issue with MrMC only

Post by davilla » 31 May 2019, 13:35

superczar wrote:
31 May 2019, 09:55
First of all, thank you for the great software you have built. I moved from MrMC to Infuse a couple of years ago but back to MrMC now on both iOS and tvOS :)

Coming to the issue, my ATV4K is set to 4K SDR 4:4:4 with frame rate and range match On
The TV is a Samsung JS9000 and the ATV is connected via a Marantz SR6010.

SDR content works as expected on MrMC as well as any other app

Coming to HDR: Both Netflix and Prime HDR work fine and any title with either Dolby Vision or HDR10 plays back fine with the output coming in HDR10 mode as verified by the ATV HUD (DV-> HDR10 as TV supports only HDR10)

However when I tried a HDR file for a recent title on MrMC, the HDR output is completely washed out and looks like a classic example of a flat HDR image with missing metadata
I played back an SDR encoded version of the same title and that plays back as expected in SDR output.

Is there some setting in MrMC that I am missing or is it some kind of incomaptibility bug?
For HDR, make sure that AVFoundation decoder is enabled for them and excluded from videoToolbox decoder.

atomsapple

Post by atomsapple » 01 Jun 2019, 05:54

I'm running into this exact issue with both MrMC and Infuse. I have a Vizio PQ65-F1. Have done multiple factory resets, verified and changed settings countless times, same issue. Something broke recently and I'm not sure what did it. All of my UHD HDR10 content is showing this symptom.

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl » 01 Jun 2019, 13:16

HDR10 material played in MrMC on ATV4k switches my TV to HDR just as it should.

superczar

Post by superczar » 01 Jun 2019, 21:28

davilla wrote:
31 May 2019, 13:35

For HDR, make sure that AVFoundation decoder is enabled for them and excluded from videoToolbox decoder.
Thanks - That fixed it - or at least fixed the washed out color problem.
I was under the presumption I hadn't change the default settings but apparently I did.

Having said that, for some reason, HDR on MrMC looks very dark especially in low light scenes while the SDR version looks better
AVF decoder does not allow for adjusting the brightness/contrast either.

I'd have thought that's a problem with my TV but HDR on netflix doesn't have the same problem.

FWIW, I have setup two picture modes - 1 with native color space specifically for HDR content but switching back & forth didn't help either
In terms of settings, I leave ATV at 4K SDR and switch on range matching

To compare :
I was watching altered carbon on NF right before this and I disabled range matching to see how the SDR stream looks and the HDR version was certainly better - not by a massive margin but certainly preferable.
While on MrMC, the SDR version (Captain Marvel) was significantly better than HDR to the extent that HDR version appeared unwatchable in dark scenes.

The TV is plenty bright and has a fairly good panel (Samsung JS9000) - makes me wonder if the default brighness/contrast on AVF decoder needs a bump?

-wyld-

Post by -wyld- » 04 Jun 2019, 00:47

I am having the same problem. I have recalibrated my new JVC RS1000 projector several times because I thought it was the calibration but realized it's MrMC playing HDR extremely dark with flat, desaturated colors. Switching the ATV to 1080p and playing back the same rip in 1080p SDR looks a million times better. I've played with the playback acceleration settings recommended here (AVFoundation vs Video Toolbox) and confirmed I have the best setting. Switching the decoder makes everything more washed out.

Altered Carbon on Netflix looks great but anything on HDR on MrMC is crazy dark and desaturated.

Watching Infinity War now and it looks world's better in 1080p SDR than 4k SDR. Is this a known issue with MrMC and support of HDR? I just bought it thinking this would be the way for me to get Kodi-like features on ATV.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 04 Jun 2019, 12:34

need to see some debuglog 's :)

-wyld-

Post by -wyld- » 04 Jun 2019, 22:29

davilla wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 12:34
Here you are:
https://pastebin.com/nB6werGV

In the logs I have started 3 different media files - 2 are HDR and both are too dark and under saturated with no ability to adjust within MrMC. The 3rd is a 1080p SDR file which is also extremely washed out and under saturated. Changing brightness to 37% and contrast to 67% seem to fix the output. All SDR files are poorly rendered by default with MrMC.

Each of these files play perfectly on Kodi on my Nvidia Shield. The issue appears to be just with MrMC on ATV. Other apps on ATV work great with the same equipment.

-wyld-

Post by -wyld- » 04 Jun 2019, 22:35

This is related - often MrMC freezes when stopping a media file or swapping from one app to MrMC. Rest of AppleTV is responsive and prettying remote sill makes the system sounds like it is switching icons but nothing is updated on the screen. This happened during this test so the debug log is here:

https://pastebin.com/EbLE4QyB

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 05 Jun 2019, 00:31

-wyld- wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 22:29
davilla wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 12:34
Here you are:
https://pastebin.com/nB6werGV

In the logs I have started 3 different media files - 2 are HDR and both are too dark and under saturated with no ability to adjust within MrMC. The 3rd is a 1080p SDR file which is also extremely washed out and under saturated. Changing brightness to 37% and contrast to 67% seem to fix the output. All SDR files are poorly rendered by default with MrMC.

Each of these files play perfectly on Kodi on my Nvidia Shield. The issue appears to be just with MrMC on ATV. Other apps on ATV work great with the same equipment.
"All SDR files are poorly rendered by default with MrMC", All yours are, mine are not :)

Looks correct.

18:22:28.899 T:6108033024 DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Video: avf-h265 - Opened
18:22:29.644 T:4420103104 DEBUG: displayModeSwitchInProgress == YES, refreshRate = 23.98, dynamicRange = HDR10
18:22:32.672 T:4420103104 DEBUG: displayModeSwitchInProgress == DONE, refreshRate = 23.98, dynamicRange = HDR10