1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

5.1 vs 7.1 audio settings for 5.2.2 speakers and Denon receiver

Any issues that are tvOS specific
spmcewen

5.1 vs 7.1 audio settings for 5.2.2 speakers and Denon receiver

Post by spmcewen » 08 May 2019, 17:40

Hello,

I've searched and read through various posts about lossless audio and Atmos support and am still confused what my best receiver and MrMC settings are. I have the 4k Apple TV connected via HDMI to a Denon X3300W receiver with 5.2.2 speakers. My HEVC 4k HDR source content is a mixture of TrueHD 7.1 with Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1, and DTS:X.

I understand the MrMC passthrough capability with lossy DD and DTS cores prior to tvOS 11.3, and how it changed with tvOS 12 when DD+/E-AC-3 Atmos support was added. When the MrMC passthrough option existed I had 5.2 speakers and had it disabled so LPCM was sent to the receiver. I don't remember if I had MrMC configured to use 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

Now I have the 2 ceiling mounted speakers for 5.2.2 channels and lossless 7.1 and Atmos content. In MrMC I have an option of 5.1 or 7.1 channels. When I choose 7.1 I see the Denon playback info show sub, center, fronts, side and rear surrounds light up for the input source. My receiver shows 'Multi In + Dolby Surround' and all my speakers as being active.

So it appears that MrMC is decoding DTS:X and TrueHD 7.1 Atmos to 7.1 LPCM (without Atmos info I assume), and my receiver is transforming it to 5.2.2. Denon is figuring out what to send to the ceiling and what to send to my rear surrounds based on the extra channels of audio where I don't have corresponding speakers. It sounds great to me but is this better than having MrMC configured to use 5.1 channels and allowing the Denon to work with that instead?

Is it possible to get Atmos over 7.1 LPCM or does Atmos data always have to be sent seperately?

Thanks!

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: 5.1 vs 7.1 audio settings for 5.2.2 speakers and Denon receiver

Post by davilla » 08 May 2019, 19:23

The only atmos that gets passed unaltered is eac3/atmos.

truehd/atmos will get decoded to multichannel pcm. Since most truehd/atmos is 7.1, I'd stick with MrMC and 7.1 channels. Let the denon figure out how to map it.