1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Network connections

Any issues that are tvOS specific
hempie

Network connections

Post by hempie » 04 Mar 2019, 14:25

I tried to make AFP (apple File Protocol) network connections, from my a NAS and an Imac 5k.
When running kodi on imac i could always select the AFP sources, which are the fastest network connections in an apple environment.

Strange thing happens when i want to add these connections in MrMC on my ATV 4K i can only choose between NFS or SMB.

How can i achieve to be able to choose for APF connections?

Its kinda weird when this is not possible on an ATV 4K since the AFP is also an apple thing.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance

PS. I also found that MrMC does not use the posters as i have them next to my videos on the HD. Instead it picks the fanart. How can i get MrMC to get my posters as they are on my imac using fi. plex or kodi?
Running AppleTV 4k (5th generation) with MrMC.
Samsung UHD TV.
Denon X3500H Receiver.
Dali Oberon Speakers.

Waltman

Re: Network connections

Post by Waltman » 04 Mar 2019, 16:01

I am also an Apple / appletv Mrmc user. Please use smb of NFS as netwerk protocols. AFP is hardly used anymore.

hempie

Post by hempie » 05 Mar 2019, 15:40

Ok... thanks for your reply.

I did that since it was the only one i could get available.
NFS didn,t work for me, not on my Qnap NAS nor Synology NAS.

Which one is faster? NFS or SMB ?
Do you also prefer SMB/NFS over AFP when connection from my 5k imac to the nasses?

Till now i always used afp. I thought that was teh best since it is Apple.
Samsung UHD TV.
Denon X3500H Receiver.
Dali Oberon Speakers.

Waltman

Post by Waltman » 05 Mar 2019, 20:02

Apple left AFP protocol 2 years ago and fully implementeren SMB. Even timemachine uses SMB these days.

With NFS or SMB protocol One isnt better than the other.

Protocol NFS
NFS uses less overhead and assumes you can control what users can or Cannot do on on server / users settings level. It takes a little
while setting up and than it always works.

You can setup NFS pretty easily at both qnap and synology nas.

https://www.robvanhamersveld.nl/2012/12 ... -with-nfs/

https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php/NFS

Protocol SMB
SMB Asks for autenthification on the device level (user/password), uses a bit more overhead. It is (used to be) the main protocol for Windows machines

I am on a synology nas with NFS. But thats is because at one point in time it was the smarter choice (not so powerfull nas at the time ans Mac only) with less overhead and i stuck with it.
Both protocols will do fine with a good cabled wireless network.

hempie

Post by hempie » 07 Mar 2019, 09:29

Great Thanks.

I will setup everything in smb and leave afp to what it is.

Only thing i stumble up now is, when i want to export the video library with images etc.next ti the video files, MrMC complains that it can not write to the directories.

I am sure it has to do with access rights on the qnap nas.

I set everything world writeable, to admin, and everyone. (not so secure imho) but even that doesn't change things.
MrMC still can not write to the directories.
Samsung UHD TV.
Denon X3500H Receiver.
Dali Oberon Speakers.

Waltman

Post by Waltman » 07 Mar 2019, 13:13

The issue your now having is a rights issue. You have to set the rights for all folders, subfolders and files to admin / users and make sure all read and write options are given correctly. Is this on your synology ? I can send a screenshot of my settings.