1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Dolby Vision

Any issues that are tvOS specific
mulucy_ma

Re: Dolby Vision

Post by mulucy_ma » 14 Jul 2019, 02:52

Grencola wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 21:59
wesk05 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:02
From the horse's mouth:
https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/uhd-copy- ... post370046
Below is from Dev Guy,
Single stream is BL+RPU,
Two Stream is Main Stream HDR10 video, Second Stream EL+RPU
And Dolby Vision is in RPU, Both will have Dolby Vision.

Single Stream not have EL for now. It is not Dolby Vision, it some info for HDR10 to 12bit .
Mp4 container not have such mode as in Dolby Demo files for now.
his English isn't the best, but I take it the single layer mp4 dvdfab makes is NOT dolby vision? it just contains some rpu info to flag the logo lol? or did I read this wrong?
I think you misunderstood ( I misread it too, his English is not that bad :) ). RPU contains Dolby Vision information to adjust the brightness and darkness scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame. The EL itself is not Dolby Vision ( sort of it is ), the primary purpose of it is to make 10-bit HDR10 12-bit, but no modern TV supports 12-bit lol, but it looks better since TVs downscale* it ( I hope it's a correct term ), like 4K downscaled to 1080p vs. 1080p source analogy, the former should look better at least in theory.
BTW, it would be great to get a testflight for the beta version if it's possible.

Grencola

Post by Grencola » 14 Jul 2019, 06:28

mulucy_ma wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 02:52
Grencola wrote:
wesk05 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:02
From the horse's mouth:
https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/uhd-copy- ... post370046
Below is from Dev Guy,
Single stream is BL+RPU,
Two Stream is Main Stream HDR10 video, Second Stream EL+RPU
And Dolby Vision is in RPU, Both will have Dolby Vision.

Single Stream not have EL for now. It is not Dolby Vision, it some info for HDR10 to 12bit .
Mp4 container not have such mode as in Dolby Demo files for now.
his English isn't the best, but I take it the single layer mp4 dvdfab makes is NOT dolby vision? it just contains some rpu info to flag the logo lol? or did I read this wrong?
I think you misunderstood ( I misread it too, his English is not that bad :) ). RPU contains Dolby Vision information to adjust the brightness and darkness scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame. The EL itself is not Dolby Vision ( sort of it is ), the primary purpose of it is to make 10-bit HDR10 12-bit, but no modern TV supports 12-bit lol, but it looks better since TVs downscale* it ( I hope it's a correct term ), like 4K downscaled to 1080p vs. 1080p source analogy, the former should look better at least in theory.
BTW, it would be great to get a testflight for the beta version if it's possible.
Ah ok, re-reading it now it makes more sense :lol:
So basically DVDFab needs to ditch mp4 and make a ts.dolbyvision profile instead with copy video AND audio to keep HD-Audio+Atmos/DTS:X.

EDIT: I tried to request such a profile but my post was deleted. I guess they haven't heard of MrMC's dolby vision capabilities, cuz they said 'no TV's can playback hd-audio so there's no need', yet there are e-arc models out now, so I guess they just need to play a bit of catch-up :cry:

mulucy_ma

Post by mulucy_ma » 14 Jul 2019, 11:40

Grencola wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 06:28
mulucy_ma wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 02:52
Grencola wrote:

Ah ok, re-reading it now it makes more sense :lol:
So basically DVDFab needs to ditch mp4 and make a ts.dolbyvision profile instead with copy video AND audio to keep HD-Audio+Atmos/DTS:X.

EDIT: I tried to request such a profile but my post was deleted. I guess they haven't heard of MrMC's dolby vision capabilities, cuz they said 'no TV's can playback hd-audio so there's no need', yet there are e-arc models out now, so I guess they just need to play a bit of catch-up :cry:
It would make perfect sense since the limitation comes from the MP4 container, IDK why they don't want to implement it. BTW, will you be able to invite me for a testflight the beta version ( it's me from Reddit lol )

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 14 Jul 2019, 15:17

@mulucy_ma
Send an email to support@mrmc.tv with the email attached to your apple id account.

@Grencola
I too posted about MrMC, got a trout in the face back. I can only assume they don't care...

The thing about reverse engineering sw is knowing something can be done. That's 50 percent of the effort. Knowing that double to single Dolby Vision is possible, it makes reverse engineering what DVDFab does much easier. For a sw wizard like me that is :) The other bits in the equation is libx265 can also do some level of dolby vision manipulation. I would not be surprised that DVDFab is doing something similar to what libx265 is doing.

The first steps are to compare the original stream(s) with the converted and see what's been changed. Have to do this at the NAL level with custom probing sw. Maybe a week or so of effort. After 3.9 goes out, that's where my focus is now.

mulucy_ma

Post by mulucy_ma » 14 Jul 2019, 15:34

davilla wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 15:17
@mulucy_ma
Send an email to support@mrmc.tv with the email attached to your apple id account.

@Grencola
I too posted about MrMC, got a trout in the face back. I can only assume they don't care...

The thing about reverse engineering sw is knowing something can be done. That's 50 percent of the effort. Knowing that double to single Dolby Vision is possible, it makes reverse engineering what DVDFab does much easier. For a sw wizard like me that is :) The other bits in the equation is libx265 can also do some level of dolby vision manipulation. I would not be surprised that DVDFab is doing something similar to what libx265 is doing.

The first steps are to compare the original stream(s) with the converted and see what's been changed. Have to do this at the NAL level with custom probing sw. Maybe a week or so of effort. After 3.9 goes out, that's where my focus is now.
I am not a software engineer or have any knowledge when it comes to coding. I can only support the project by buying the software on the Apple app store and do some beta testings. Let me know if you need any other recourses, will be happy to help. Email is incoming, thank you!

Grencola

Post by Grencola » 15 Jul 2019, 02:46

davilla wrote:
@Grencola

Yea that's what I assume, too. unless they've magically gotten their hands on an rpu ripping tool that pulls it from the 1080p el layer, then use dolbymp4muxer to make a single layer bl+rpu mp4. it's unlikely, but it would explain why they have such a love for mp4 containers..

mulucy_ma

Post by mulucy_ma » 15 Jul 2019, 03:00

Grencola wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 02:46
davilla wrote:
@Grencola

Yea that's what I assume, too. unless they've magically gotten their hands on an rpu ripping tool that pulls it from the 1080p el layer, then use dolbymp4muxer to make a single layer bl+rpu mp4. it's unlikely, but it would explain why they have such a love for mp4 containers..
BTW, I encountered a technical problem with the UHD ripper today. Apparently, it does not support the UHD disks with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision like Alita: Battle Angel. Here is some technical information:
PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name: 00800.MPLS
Length: 2:01:57.309 (h:m:s.ms)
Size: 58,608,850,944 bytes
Total Bitrate: 64.08 Mbps

(*) Indicates included stream hidden by this playlist.

VIDEO:

Codec Bitrate Description
----- ------- -----------
MPEG-H HEVC Video 41361 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR10+ / BT.2020 /
* MPEG-H HEVC Video 2134 kbps 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / Dolby Vision / BT.2020 /

AFAIK, Alita is the first Blu-Ray with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision on the same disk. The MP4.DolbyVision profile does not work; it refuses to work with this disk, only shows SDR profile. What's the best to way to report this?
Registered on DVDFab forum, but they require a manual admin verification.

Grencola

Post by Grencola » 15 Jul 2019, 03:32

mulucy_ma wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 03:00
AFAIK, Alita is the first Blu-Ray with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision on the same disk. The MP4.DolbyVision profile does not work; it refuses to work with this disk, only shows SDR profile. What's the best to way to report this?
it's because hdr10+ is encoded onto the base layer; it's a single-layer format. a fix could be to demux the m2ts so that it (hopefully) strips off hdr10+, leaving a main10 baselayer track and 1080p el+rpu track. then remux those back into a new m2ts, replacing the old one in your bdmv folder with the same filename. then try dvdfab again.

mulucy_ma

Post by mulucy_ma » 15 Jul 2019, 11:22

Grencola wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 03:32
mulucy_ma wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 03:00
it's because hdr10+ is encoded onto the base layer; it's a single-layer format. a fix could be to demux the m2ts so that it (hopefully) strips off hdr10+, leaving a main10 baselayer track and 1080p el+rpu track. then remux those back into a new m2ts, replacing the old one in your bdmv folder with the same filename. then try dvdfab again.
That did not work, unfortunately. I will try to report it to DVDFab once my account is active and I am able to comment and request on the forum.
edit:
Somebody already asked the same question https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/uhd-copy- ... ons-as-sdr. I am sure it has to do something with the HDR10+ dynamic metadata

Grencola

Post by Grencola » 16 Jul 2019, 00:43

mulucy_ma wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 11:22
That did not work, unfortunately. I will try to report it to DVDFab once my account is active and I am able to comment and request on the forum.
edit:
Somebody already asked the same question https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/uhd-copy- ... ons-as-sdr. I am sure it has to do something with the HDR10+ dynamic metadata
oh cool so hdr10+ remains even once demuxed? then it's definitely hardcoded and not just extra rpu info like dolby vision. I like it better already! ;) that means you could make an mkv remux with hd-audio and it should work no problem.... on a tv with hdr10+ that is :lol: