1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Media Runtime Format

Any skin specific issues
Climiu

Media Runtime Format

Post by Climiu »

The browse pages display media runtime in total minutes. Can a user customizable option be added to display as x h x min? (of course if duration is less than one hour it would be displayed just as minutes) This is the standard used in many applications and databases such as Plex, Emby, Amazon Prime, imdb and themoviedb to name a few.

Hours and minutes is usually how people relate to movies. If someone was to answer how long Guardians of the Galaxy is, most would say 2 hours as opposed to 120 minutes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who converts minutes into hours & minutes in their head when looking at runtimes. :P

Plus once started, movie runtime is now shown as hours and minutes in the toolbar such as when pausing and skipping back/forward. This is also how the resume function displays it. I am big on a consistent look and feel to a UI so this would be a step towards that.

Runtime in total minutes is a relic still used by the film industry so I understand traditionalists may still want it this way. But for a more modern and practical use, if a user setting could be added to display as hours and minutes that would be perfect.

Things are looking great with the skin fixes and tweaks in the latest test flights. If this change could be added, it would really be top notch.
Last edited by Climiu on 10 May 2020, 07:09, edited 3 times in total.
amet
Team MrMC

Re: Media Runtime Format

Post by amet »

is that in Video Info page?
Climiu

Post by Climiu »

It's on these pages for example:

And having the option to select runtime in the hours and minutes format such as this:

Climiu

Post by Climiu »

Been doing a lot of research into how different applications and databases display runtime. All have their pros and cons. For the ultimate solution, could a user selectable option be added in the menu to display as one of the following formats:

1. 263 min (current setting)
2. 263 m (nice compact way many are using now)
3. 3 h 21 min
4. 3 h 21 m
5. 3 hr 21 min

MrMC is built on top of a core designed to be user customizable so this would take advantage of that and give a user to choose the look and feel they desire.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

Ideally we don't add more settings, it is very busy in there and we are trying to minimize the complexity of it.

I have no issues with changing it to 3 h 21 min, or whatever we agree upon, but adding another setting would be a "No" from me.
Climiu

Post by Climiu »

I agree with trying to minimize the complexity of the menu. After much consideration, I have a slightly different suggestion in regards to the format and spacing compared to my original post. If you're in agreement I think the way to go is like this:

3h 21m (this format and spacing seems to be the optimal way which is also used by Netflix and Disney Plus)

To make everything flow together, media under an hour could be listed as, for example, 44m in the rest of MrMC.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

seems that it can be done easily, problem is translation of "h" and "m" for different languages, we dont have that right now and it would change the way it looks for all users that are using non english interface.

so, here is what we can do now... keep it as is, have it as "3:21 Minutes" or "3 Hours 21 Minutes" or any layout that includes Hour(s) and Minute(s)
Climiu

Post by Climiu »

I see how different languages could be a complication. Of those options I think 3 hours 21 minutes is better but if you’re ok with it can we reopen the discussion of an option in settings? I see where you’re coming from on the menu but just a few things to ponder. The average user doesn’t even delve into the menu. They are more than happy to just use the defaults and carry on. But for the power users who like to tinker and optimize having a wide array of options is appealing.

Plus if we put this under the Expert setting those who find the menu too complicated can continue using standard and would be unaffected. Settings - Appearance may be a good location for it.

With your new suggestions, we could have the following as options which would solve the language translation issue:

1. 263min
2. 263m
3. 263 minutes
4. 3h 21min
5. 3h 21m
6. 3hr 21min
7. 3:21 minutes
8. 3 hours 21 minutes

Just some food for thought. I think this is a good case for an addition to settings. If we can do this I promise I won’t ask for any more additions to the menu. :P

If it’s your final decision not to add to the menu I respect that.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

even if we added the setting, the only thing that would work with the current translations are options 3, 7 and 8, since we have the words translated... all the others would default to english strings(and few others that we could quickly translate) and that might look and feel odd to non english.

you get what I mean? we just dont have "h" , "hr", "m", and "min" translated ... :(
Climiu

Post by Climiu »

Ok I get it. 8-) 3 Hours 21 Minutes sounds good to me.

Can the singular form also be used such as 1 Hour & 1 Minute where applicable?
Last edited by Climiu on 19 May 2020, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.