1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

VIDEO_TS playback engine  [SOLVED]

tvOS Video playback support subforum
cosmoxl

Re: VIDEO_TS playback engine

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 15:37 In MrMC, dvd's are always vectored to libmpeg2 for sw decode because hw decode does not handle dvd menus and still frames. Last time I checked, there were no issues with deinterlacing.

debuglog please.
I played the only DVD folder that I think I have and it played with ff-mpeg2video, not libmpeg2. Maybe because there were no menus - it went straight to only video there was?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

menus and still frames is what determines the codec.

edit: just checked. dvd playback seems fine. debuglog please.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 16:17 menus and still frames is what determines the codec.

edit: just checked. dvd playback seems fine. debuglog please.
so you see deinterlace options with libmpeg2 or the one that is used seems fine to you?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

deinterlace options are present. auto seems fine.
integer

Post by integer »

davilla wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 20:28 deinterlace options are present. auto seems fine.
Yes libmpeg2 is "deinterlacing" ... it is just absolutely horrible quality. The aliased edges all over are unwatchable to me. Also half the fields are gone since it plays back at 29.97fps not 59.94fps.

Gotcha about content determining the playback library -- I did try a DVD with no menu and that did indeed use ff-mpeg2video... the problem is everything else has a menu unfortunately and is locked to the awful libmpeg2 playback.

As a diehard user of SPMC on my shield (still running the last beta and won't switch) I learned about MrMC from that project closing. Really surprised DVD playback is so primitive and terrible via MrMC in comparison to a program that ceased development over 2 years ago. I don't mean to be harsh or overly critical, I hope it's not coming across that way, I guess I just expected more from paid software.... but DVD playback is perfect via SPMC and it somehow is able to use ff-mpeg2video with yadif2x deinterlacing to 59.94fps.

I was going to send a private message with my log file (sorry I didn't use the auto-uploader, I wanted to see what the contents were) but it looks like I can't sent private messages on the forum yet.

I don't see any personally identifiable info so here is the log with failed DVD playback (the same disc plays fine on all other media players tested and also on a hardware DVD player):

Code: Select all

pastebin.com/raw/Ziu566Jy
But to be honest, it's fine if it doesn't get fixed because I will never ever watch a DVD with libmpeg2... ever.

If any development time is expended, I'd love it if you could enable a "simple dvd playback" of the main vobset only, using ff-mpeg2video.

Well, you've got my money now so I hope that shows that I really do support this project and my comments and feedback are only trying to make it even better for all users.

Thank you!

(ps.. HD playback is outstanding by the way, no issues there. Standard def playback is also excellent for anything that isn't a DVD iso or folder)
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla said that deinterlacing options are there for libmpeg2. are you saying they are not?
integer

Post by integer »

cosmoxl wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 23:54 davilla said that deinterlacing options are there for libmpeg2. are you saying they are not?
I keep trying to be very specific but I must not be doing a great job at it :D :lol:

The options are there but libmpeg2 is 100% not using yadif2x even when selected.

Deinterlacing is set to auto / yadif2x (and I also set it as the default for all files).

The statistics clearly display 29.97fps, but you can confirm just by looking at the image - terrible aliasing and the resolution is basically dropped in half, it's like watching vcd resolution.

Confirmed with every single DVD I have tried: if libmpeg2 is used, yadif2x deinterlacing is NOT active despite being selected.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

yadif2x is only available for ffmpeg codec. It's possible that it's kicking to line doubling. I'd have to test.
integer

Post by integer »

davilla wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 00:53 yadif2x is only available for ffmpeg codec. It's possible that it's kicking to line doubling. I'd have to test.
Thank you for the confirmation! That reflects what I am seeing.

If there's anything that can be done to allow some simplified DVD playback of the main movie only with ffmpeg (and thus yadif2x) that would solve my only real issue with this great media player.

It's a personal thing but I find the other deinterlacing methods unacceptable for pure interlaced material, and I don't really have time to qtgmc encode everything.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

"simplified DVD playback" is much more complicated than you think :)

try bob invert. In the mean time, I'll diddle with using ff-mpeg2video instead of libmpeg2 and see what issues develop with my test dvd's.