1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

SMB symlink not follow

tvOS Video playback support subforum
lost16

SMB symlink not follow

Post by lost16 »

On a Synology NAS I have video files stored in two folders:
/volume1/EVENTS
/volume1/VIDEO

I added the VIDEO and EVENTS folders to MrMC as SMB shares and all videos in the folders play without problems.

To avoid duplicating large video files, I created symlinks ( ln -s....) in the VIDEO folder to some video files in the EVENTS folder.
However, when trying to play a symlink, the login user/password window is continuously popping up, not accepting the login credentials.

Is this a NAS or SMB issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timstephens24

Re: SMB symlink not follow

Post by timstephens24 »

Seems like it would a SMB issue, but I'm not 100% sure. If you change from a symlink to a hardlink that issue should go away.
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

I looked it up (have a Synology NAS too, so was a little interested) and in 2010 there was a 'symlink attack' (http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cg ... -2010-0926). Due to that they turned off symlink sharing in samba as being on by default.

I wouldn't recommend enabling it, but if you did you'd need to do the following (I didn't test it, so I can't verify these steps will 100% work):

Add to the [global] section of /usr/syno/etc/smb.conf:

Code: Select all

follow symlinks=yes
wide links=yes
unix extensions=no
Then you'll need to restart samba:

Code: Select all

/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.sysv/S80samba.sh restart
lost16

Post by lost16 »

Thanks for help, I found also about the same info, I guess this is the reason with SMB. I wonder if using FTP or other protocol will help.
I noticed when I mount the two shares on a Mac with AFP, the symlink will work okay, but I understood from this forum that AFP is a kind of dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

Other protocols probably don't have the same vulnerability, so it might work. I use hardlinks... Love them.