1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Stuttering playback in panning scenes (x264 encoded material)

tvOS Video playback support subforum
undead1512

Stuttering playback in panning scenes (x264 encoded material)

Post by undead1512 »

Hello MrMc.
I am facing a playback issue with APTV4/MrMC4.1. In short, I ripped a TV show (PAL DVD) with makemkv and the playback is flawless. However, after encoding the material with handbrake, the stuttering starts.
As this is not a handbrake forum, I won't get into the encoding details but I can assure you that I've used hours trying to find the setting that would fix the issue.

I tested the encoded material with Raspberry PI2 + kodi 15.2 aswell and the problem was reproducible but after enabling the playback setting 'Adjust display refresh rate' (in Kodi), the stuttering was gone. I guess there's no similar setting in MrMC that would fix the stuttering ?
I haven't gathered any MrMC debug logs as I am not blaming MrMC on the stuttering (as the source material plays out fine) but rather looking for a workaround for the encoded material. If there's no equivalent for 'Adjust display refresh rate' in MrMc, then maybe a hint/pointer on what kind of encoding to feed MrMC so that it will be happy camper and stop the stuttering :)
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Stuttering playback in panning scenes (x264 encoded material)

Post by davilla »

sample please
undead1512

Post by undead1512 »

Here you go:
https://mega.nz/#!BFAQ1KoT!AbYsZLMIoMUV ... STAQIXRQ6U

The panning (aswell as the stuttering) starts at approx 00:05 and ends around 00:09 when the camera movement from left to right is finished.
The same clip plays out fine with two regular Kodi 15.2 setups that I have lying around.

If you have any ideas on what's causing the stuttering, please let me know.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Just to be clear, this is AppleTV4 ?
What refresh is you HDTV setup for ?
undead1512

Post by undead1512 »

Yes. AppleTV4+Samsung UE55D8005.
1080p60Hz.
Premium

Post by Premium »

Same issue here.. same setup,but 65" tv.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

On my Samsung, I had to turn off all the silly picture 'enhancing' features on the Samsung UHDTV to get rid of crap induced artifacts.
Lollypop

Post by Lollypop »

I had the similar problem with my samsung's auto motion setting being turned on but to my surprise, when i checked the option "sync playback to display" the stuttering went away and playback is smooth as silk.

Cheers
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Lollypop wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 22:57 I had the similar problem with my samsung's auto motion setting being turned on but to my surprise, when i checked the option "sync playback to display" the stuttering went away and playback is smooth as silk.

Cheers
yep, I find that for the apple tv sync to display works wonders. I actually have all the smooth motion turned ON for my old Vizio TV and it's beautiful.
Lollypop

Post by Lollypop »

good stuff. But i am wondering how "display to sync" has been implemented? Is it special filter that is used or some special coding? As we can't alter Atv refresh rate, but i think this display to sync modifies that playback speed to match the refresh rate of the monitor.. (I could be wrong though)

maybe davilla can shed some light on this..