1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Can I Downgrade?

Introduce yourself here
pmcdunnough

Can I Downgrade?

Post by pmcdunnough »

Three of my players ( Shield, FireTV, ATV) run MrMC. A 4th, which is a NAS, runs Kodi 16.1. The MySQL database lives on the NAS which is always on. I personally really dislike Kodi 17 but my MrMC players are now not compatible with the MySQL database. Is there some way of downgrading MrMC to 2.x? I need some time to think about the Kodi issue. Thanks ...
amet
Team MrMC

Re: Can I Downgrade?

Post by amet »

Unfortunately not, we can only release one version and that version is in line with stable Kodi database.

You could have only prevented update, but it seems that you are too late for that :(
pmcdunnough

Post by pmcdunnough »

A Kodi 16.1 did get updated but fortunately Kodi keeps previous versions of their sw on an ftp server. Of course those are not paid apps so ...

I assume there is something better about Kodi 17, but it wasn't obvious to me. Just slower, etc...

Is it possible to run two versions of a MySQL database?

Philip
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

Sure, but watched status will not be in sync.Adding a new content will require you to update library on kodi 16.1 and one of MrMC installations

MrMC will upgrade video/music database to the needed versions and kodi 16.x will use the old one.If and when you bring kodi to 17, it will use database MrMC created.
theRCRH

Post by theRCRH »

pmcdunnough,

You didn't say, but way aren't you updating your Kodi to 17? I have a similar setup & will be using libreelec.tv to update my database.
pmcdunnough

Post by pmcdunnough »

theRCRH wrote:pmcdunnough,

You didn't say, but way aren't you updating your Kodi to 17? I have a similar setup & will be using libreelec.tv to update my database.
Because Kodi 17 is not officially supported on my Qnap. I did install it on the NAS but it was a bit sluggish. Jodi 16.1 was working great and did everything I needed from it. I don't like upgrading things unless there is a real need and I almost never upgrade operating systems and apps when they are working fine. This constant upgrading schedule that mobile devices are on is just a pain. Even my Macs pester me to upgrade more often. Some people don't mind but it's not for me.

Unfortunately, using MrMC has placed me in an odd situation.
theRCRH

Post by theRCRH »

pmcdunnough wrote:
theRCRH wrote:pmcdunnough,

Because Kodi 17 is not officially supported on my Qnap. I did install it on the NAS but it was a bit sluggish. Jodi 16.1 was working great and did everything I needed from it. I don't like upgrading things unless there is a real need and I almost never upgrade operating systems and apps when they are working fine. This constant upgrading schedule that mobile devices are on is just a pain. Even my Macs pester me to upgrade more often. Some people don't mind but it's not for me.

Unfortunately, using MrMC has placed me in an odd situation.
Makes sense. I've held off my upgrade too so I can't comment of kodi 17 yet.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Database version bumps (and resulting internal changes) are always difficult to decide. If we don't, users complain. If we do, users complain. Zero sum game.

So we decided a while back, to move to v3+ with bumped database version after Kodi 17 was released. Unfortunately, Kody 17 seems to be a real miss on some platforms and Team Kodi's focus has moved on to Kodi 18. Not much we can do. Sorry if this has caused some issues.

This is also made difficult by how the App Stores work. We can only go forward, not back in version. I highly recommend ( I do this myself ) to turn off auto updates. Nothing annoys me more than to have some app autoupdate and I get hosed because something does not work. Since I work in a software development environment, I cannot have things changing behind my back and risk issues popping up.
pmcdunnough

Post by pmcdunnough »

Thanks for the explanation and the really good advice of turning off auto updates. That is exactly what happened to me on my favourite platform and I found myself with an updated MrMC! I have since turned off auto updates everywhere and since MrMC is now on the Shield I have a stronger reason to do something about MySQL. Kodi was always meant to be a temporary part of the solution so now that MrMC is on the Shield TV I don't think I need Kodi at all, unless it's required for MySQL to work on my NAS.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

I highly recommend looking into cranking up plex server (soon Emby support). It beats mysql hands down for server/keeping client devices in sync. Running one on my QNAP and loving it.