1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Recommended settings for Shield and MrMC?

Any issues that are Nvidia Shield TV specific
Shasarak

Recommended settings for Shield and MrMC?

Post by Shasarak »

There have been one or two other threads about this in the past, but none of them have really produced satisfactory answers, so I'll ask again. :)

When running MrMC on the Nvidia Shield TV, what settings should be used, both on the Shield itself and within MrMC, to get the best possible video and audio quality?

Some notes on my set-up, in case it's relevant:

- The TV is an LG OLED65G6.

- In between the Shield and the TV is a Lumagen RadiancePro video processor.

- Audio at the moment is being handled by my Oppo 105D blu ray player, which has an HDMI input and 7.1 analogue audio out. It can handle DD, DTS and DD+ bitstreamed, but not DTS-HD or TrueHD; it can, however, handle multichannel PCM via HDMI, up to 7.1/24-bit/96kHz, or 5.1/24-bit/192kHZ.

- Videos are read from an NFS share across the LAN.

Other things to note:

- I am extremely sensitive to 60Hz judder on 24Hz source material.

- I always use subtitles when available.

- To get the best out of the Lumagen, it's important that the video output be as "raw" as possible - so ideally there should be no upscaling, deinterlacing, chroma upsampling, or post-processing. This is not feasible for SD sources on the Shield, but I'd like to get as close as possible.

- I watch a mixture of SD, HD, 4K and 4K/HDR material.
tomster

Re: Recommended settings for Shield and MrMC?

Post by tomster »

Would like to know exactly the same. What are the best settings for MrMC on a Shield?
21flex

Post by 21flex »

sorry to bump up the thread. Is there a recommended settings page yet? Interested in settings for the Shield like we had with SPMC
hifiaudio2

Post by hifiaudio2 »

Also interested in this!
tomster

Post by tomster »

Going back to Kodi. What a worthless support for this app. Too bad I bought it.
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

The settings are going to be dependent on your setup, just like with SPMC or Kodi. If there's something specific you're looking for that would help, but settings I use won't necessarily be settings you use.
Shasarak

Post by Shasarak »

timstephens24 wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 09:27 The settings are going to be dependent on your setup, just like with SPMC or Kodi. If there's something specific you're looking for that would help, but settings I use won't necessarily be settings you use.
For any one media player device (in this case, the Nvidia Shield TV, running the most recent Nvidia software), how much variation can there realistically be?

EDIT: Koying provided quite detailed recommended settings for SPMC running on the Nvidia Shield TV: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki#Nvi ... d_Specific What's preventing the authors of MrMC from doing the same thing?
Shasarak

Post by Shasarak »

tomster wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 08:50 Going back to Kodi. What a worthless support for this app. Too bad I bought it.
I'm tempted to tag this as the solution to my original question. :roll:
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

Default settings are the settings we think are the best obviously, otherwise we would not make them default, if that doesn’t work for you for some reason then we need more info on what’s wrong with it to be able to assist.

On my setup, all default settings work once I select 5.1 audio output ... expecting us to guess what’s not okay on your setup is a bit far fetched.
Shasarak

Post by Shasarak »

amet wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 13:01 Default settings are the settings we think are the best obviously, otherwise we would not make them default
Are the default settings different, depending on which Android TV device MrMC is being installed on?

More importantly, what about all the settings on the Shield itself that the MrMC installation has no control over? For example, what colour space(s) do you recommend? What about the Shield's central audio settings, or various other system values?

Also, optimal settings might depend on the TV the Shield is connected to.

Also, when you say things like this:
amet wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 13:01if that doesn’t work for you for some reason then we need more info on what’s wrong with it to be able to assist
you're implying that "working" and "not working" are the only two possibilities.

I didn't post this because I'm having problems with videos not playing, I posted it because I want to know how to optimise the setup for the best possible sound and image quality.

If we compare SPMC, for example (which I'm more familiar with): if you configure SPMC to decode standard-definition MPEG2 video in hardware, the video plays very nicely; but the image quality you get isn't quite optimal, because it's then using bilinear upscaling. If you set it to decode in software then you can use Lanczos3 scaling instead, which looks better.

It's not the case that using hardware decoding for SD MPEG2 "doesn't work"; but decoding in software is still objectively a better option.

In MrMC everything is "working", but that doesn't necessarily mean everything is optimal.