1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

SMB Nor SFTP working on Apple TV 4

Report any issues you might have in here
se3mvp

SMB Nor SFTP working on Apple TV 4

Post by se3mvp »

Guys, I’m still having issues with SMB access AND SFTP access, but now it has gotten even worse. 3 days ago, it stopped working COMPLETELY. All permissions are set correctly for the files access and sharing and such on my iMac. Whenever I try to click on my SMB folder in Windows Network (SMB), the apple tv just freezes. Now what’s weird is that even though its frozen, if I move my touchpad on the apple tv remote I can still hear the selection beeps going up and down as if I’m trying to scroll down to select one of the options.

In the Zeroconf browser option, I see the my computers SAMBA folder, and I see the SFTP Folder. When I click on the SAMBA option in Zeroconf, it just hangs on loading, it stays there, and I just restart the MRMC App. When I click on the SFTP option, it asks for the Username/Password login info. I enter this info correctly each time, and it just continuously loops and keeps asking me for the Username/Password.

I do have Plex, so when I signed my Movie folders in thru Plex, I can play movies fine in MRMC. But I don’t want to use Plex, I want to be able to use either SMB or SFTP for my stuff. I am going to do the Debug log ad then Paste the File using paste bin to the post, if anyone can help me solve this problem once and for all, I would gladly appreciate it.

One more thing: I even signed up for the Test flight of 3.7.0 MRMC, and these same symptoms above were happening there as well. So I am hoping the log files tell the problem, or if it’s a file or something in the settings on my computer that I need to fix.

Paste Bin link:

https://pastebin.com/vcXSEPJN
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: SMB Nor SFTP working on Apple TV 4

Post by davilla »

testflight has three smb's , libsmbclient, libdsm, and libsmb2. Which are you using ?

Spontaneous changes are typically server side, did windows update ?
se3mvp

Post by se3mvp »

Davilla thats the thing, I havent changed anything on my iMac, for a minute, the MRMC would just periodically pop up that looping lock screen right on my TV, and I would have to go over to my iMac, and literally click the box for file sharing off, then click it back on, and then go out into the main screen of MRMC and then go back into my movie folders on MRMC for it to work. Now it just freezes like i stated before. Thats why I posted the log notes to see if you or Amet noticed anything in the log notes that could be causing it.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Nothing in the log about smb access, only plex extension access.
se3mvp

Post by se3mvp »

Yea man it drove me batshit crazy. I finally just broke down, backed up my iMac, and did a fresh install of High Sierra. So far, I am about to just add every thing back to my media folders. So starting out Davilla, can you run me thru a few things?

1. The folders I am sharing, what permissions do I need to set on them for things to cooperate?

2. I have two Apple TV'S in the house accessing the same folders on the one iMac. Do I need to log them in with two separate user login for the iMac?

3. In the past I have noticed that periodically the MRMC on the TV will ask for the username/password lock preferences screen after the MRMC has been just sitting for a while. is there anyway I can set up access to my iMac SMB so that the access is "aways on" and that I don't have to input that username/password in lock preferences screen? because when I'm not here the family wouldn't know what to do when that screen pops up.

4. Is there any way to get SFTP working? the "remote login" box in my sharing settings on my iMac is checked, but anytime I try to login to my iMac on MRMC on that same lock preferences screen, it just loops and keeps asking for the username/password.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

se3mvp wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 14:19 1. The folders I am sharing, what permissions do I need to set on them for things to cooperate?
at least read access.
se3mvp wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 14:19 2. I have two Apple TV'S in the house accessing the same folders on the one iMac. Do I need to log them in with two separate user login for the iMac?
no
se3mvp wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 14:19 3. In the past I have noticed that periodically the MRMC on the TV will ask for the username/password lock preferences screen after the MRMC has been just sitting for a while. is there anyway I can set up access to my iMac SMB so that the access is "aways on" and that I don't have to input that username/password in lock preferences screen? because when I'm not here the family wouldn't know what to do when that screen pops up.
Does the iMac Sleep ? Does the iMac Sleep it's disks ? If so, then someone needs to wake it up before an access. That's what script.advanced.wol is for. I run media on a QNAP 669-pro, it never sleeps and the drives never spin down. I'm a member of the 'power cycles is bad for disks' club.
se3mvp wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 14:19 4. Is there any way to get SFTP working? the "remote login" box in my sharing settings on my iMac is checked, but anytime I try to login to my iMac on MRMC on that same lock preferences screen, it just loops and keeps asking for the username/password.
Forget SFTP, it's inferior as a transport method to smb.

Also, if your server is OSX. Then make sure libdsm is checked in settings -> services -> smb client.