1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

5.1 PCM plays as stereo

tvOS Video playback support subforum
cosmoxl

5.1 PCM plays as stereo

Post by cosmoxl »

The first problem I've encountered with MrMC. :D

Blu-ray transode with an AAC 5.1 track from the DTS-HD track, in handbrake, using avcodec.

The DTS-HD and DTS tracks passthrough to my denon receiver as expected. But, the AAC 5.1 track outputs as stereo.

Other software (Air Video HD on ATV4, Kodi on PC) playback the AAC 5.1 properly.

Is this a known problem? Thanks!
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: 5.1 PCM plays as stereo

Post by davilla »

No known amp/receiver can decode any form of AAC, I've looked for them before. So right now, AAC 5.1 gets decoded internally and down mixed to 2 ch PCM. The tvOS can output 8 channels of PCM but under iOS, there is only two channel PCM. As the port is based off iOS audio handling, channels are fixed to two.

You might enable ac3 transcode, I'd have to poke into the code but this might transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1.

This will change in the future but we have a few things to deal with, one being there is no API to fetch the details on if the atv4 is connected to a dumb hdtv or via a multichannel receiver.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote:No known amp/receiver can decode any form of AAC, I've looked for them before. So right now, AAC 5.1 gets decoded internally and down mixed to 2 ch PCM. The tvOS can output 8 channels of PCM but under iOS, there is only two channel PCM. As the port is based off iOS audio handling, channels are fixed to two.

You might enable ac3 transcode, I'd have to poke into the code but this might transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1.

This will change in the future but we have a few things to deal with, one being there is no API to fetch the details on if the atv4 is connected to a dumb hdtv or via a multichannel receiver.
Thanks for the great answer.

Of course I knew the AAC gets decoded by MrMC but didn't know this port was limited to stereo after that.

No matter anyway as digital audio gets passed through.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

It will change :) Count on it as the ATV4 is the 1st iOS based device that can output 8 channel PCM and more.