1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Questions about MrMC on appletv 4K.

Any issues that are tvOS specific
Golge77

Re: Questions about MrMC on appletv 4K.

Post by Golge77 »

AppleTV4k supports Dolby Vision but Only from lowbitrate streaming services such as netflix (15.2mbit) and itunes etc.

Until you can play Highbitrate stuff as 4k Dolby Vision discs/rips at 60-70 mbit/s then I would say a meaningful Dolby Vision Support.
There is a clear difference in PQ between streaming services and real 4k UHD discs (not upscaled and sold as 4k).
Golge77

Post by Golge77 »

davilla wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 20:15 I don't consider Youtube a serious source of video media content :)
YOU don't.... but there are content there worth looking at in 4k and the quality is the same as your other mentioned "serious sources" lowbitrate streaming services.

I agree with you that AppleTV4k is the better overall product.
With the auto switching between BT709 and BT2020 colorspaces one of the good ones that's why I bought this product.
I have 2 ShieldTV's so I can compare them against ATV and TrueHD and Dts-HD sounds better than Apples PCM output.

ATV4K would be The best mediaplayer If TrueHD, Dts-HD, Atmos and Youtube 4k was supported.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

It's still early in the AppleTV 4K product cycle. Apple has promised one form of HD audio. Given that color range and display rate switching added in such a nice way, We just have to see how they implement HD audio support.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Golge77 wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 09:54 AppleTV4k supports Dolby Vision but Only from lowbitrate streaming services such as netflix (15.2mbit) and itunes etc.

Until you can play Highbitrate stuff as 4k Dolby Vision discs/rips at 60-70 mbit/s then I would say a meaningful Dolby Vision Support.
There is a clear difference in PQ between streaming services and real 4k UHD discs (not upscaled and sold as 4k).
I thought MrMC did that? :?
Golge77

Post by Golge77 »

cosmoxl wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 18:40
Golge77 wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 09:54 AppleTV4k supports Dolby Vision but Only from lowbitrate streaming services such as netflix (15.2mbit) and itunes etc.

I thought MrMC did that? :?
It plays 4K HDR Dolby Vision rips but falls back to regular HDR ...support for Dolby vision is not there yet for Dual Layer.
The Announced Dolby Vision support is just for LG/Sony OLED Demo files in Single layer.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Lets be clear here, no 3rd party player can play Dolby Vision Dual Layer. Specially those re-packaged into mkv's.

The issue right now is no one knows how to merge the enhanced layer to get a single layer. Once some hard working pioneer figures this step out, then dual layers becomes possible.

While I certainly do have to expertise and knowledge to figure this out, it is on the back burner from lack of time and the fact that others like Infuse will just grab our source code implementation and use it without an ounce of credit to MrMC. I'll not have this happen with any Dolby Vision Dual Layer to Single Layer converter that is created for MrMC.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 15:56 Lets be clear here, no 3rd party player can play Dolby Vision Dual Layer. Specially those re-packaged into mkv's.

The issue right now is no one knows how to merge the enhanced layer to get a single layer. Once some hard working pioneer figures this step out, then dual layers becomes possible.

While I certainly do have to expertise and knowledge to figure this out, it is on the back burner from lack of time and the fact that others like Infuse will just grab our source code implementation and use it without an ounce of credit to MrMC. I'll not have this happen with any Dolby Vision Dual Layer to Single Layer converter that is created for MrMC.
thumbs up from me, especially since infuse already gets 90% of the recommendations on reddit. and yet people accuse MrMC of stealing from Kodi. :evil:
Ozkhan1

Post by Ozkhan1 »

timstephens24 wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 23:24 I haven't used my Shield in a few months. The Apple TV 4K is just a much much better device.

The 4K upscaling is on par or better than my TV. The NVIDIA Shield's is awful. Just look at the home screen in 4K...

Auto color switching. You have to constantly switch the Shield back and forth.

DV and HDR. The Shield only have HDR.

LPCM vs Passthrough... eh my receiver upscales really well with Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X and I can't tell the difference with a 5.2.4 system.
The last part of your response was very interestIng to me. Just to be clear I understand how audio processing works, if the source file is whatever hd audio format, atv converts it to lpcm and if you have an a/v receiver that supports the format, it decodes it back to the original format? So if you have a receiver that supports Dolby digital/ did/true hd, etc you can still get it using an atv if you have the right receiver? Is my understanding correct?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Not sure what receivers/amps to with multi-channel PCM. Mine (Denon) does nothing to it. I have all 'effects' turned off.
Ozkhan1

Post by Ozkhan1 »

davilla wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 01:17 Not sure what receivers/amps to with multi-channel PCM. Mine (Denon) does nothing to it. I have all 'effects' turned off.
So it’s lpcm or pcm which is still surround sound, but not considered hd audio?

I am a bit confused. Why is bit streaming such a big deal if you can still get it through pcm or lpcm?