1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Trying out MrMC Lite, Having Remote Issues

Any issues that are tvOS specific
syplex

Trying out MrMC Lite, Having Remote Issues

Post by syplex »

I am coming from Emby and decided to try out MrMC after hearing it did a better job of directstreaming content to the ATV. So I'm trying out the Lite version to see how it works.

Navigating lists doesn't behave as I'd expect, no matter how much I swipe, the selection only goes up/down by 1. I have played with the settings and I saw "Force Siri swipe to move only one place", which was enabled. After disabling, it still doesn't behave as I'd expect. Now when I swipe up and down it still only goes up/down by 1... but after I am done swiping it goes up or down a couple more items depending on how fast the swipe was. Really strange. I would expect it to go up/down while I am swiping, like all other ATV apps.

Now when I play a movie and I want to fast forward/rewind I tap (not click) the remote to bring up the video controls, but instead of bringing them up it jumps forward some seemingly random amount. Now I try swiping left/right and it seeks back or foward by a specific amount of time. I would expect clicking on the left/right edge to do that. Clicking the center of the remote usually pauses a video and allows you to swipe to move the current location in the video, instead clicking brings up the video controls.

I read a post from June 2017 saying Siri Remote functionality was added. I'm wondering, does the MrMC Lite version actually have the updated Siri remote support? Or is this only available in the full paid version?
amet
Team MrMC

Re: Trying out MrMC Lite, Having Remote Issues

Post by amet »

Hi,

See if this helps -> https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php?title=Siri_remote

And there is a video in the blog post here -> https://mrmc.tv/2017/06/26/mrmc-version ... -handling/

MrMC Lite has all functionality of the full version, except it only lists 8 items
syplex

Post by syplex »

Unfortunately, that page doesn't really help. The controls described on that page do not match what is happening on the Apple TV when playing a video. It does describe how the controls work in the menu system, which seems to match what I am seeing.

What should center-click do while playing a video? It isn't described on that page, and it does strange things. What should center-tap do while playing a video? Also not described.

I guess the main issue is the video player doesn't work as expected since it doesn't work like the built-in video player. If the app had a help screen showing how it was supposed to work, it might help. But it doesn't look like the behavior is documented.

Is there any reason not to make the video controls behave like the built-in ATV video player when using the Siri remote?
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

syplex wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 08:53 Unfortunately, that page doesn't really help. The controls described on that page do not match what is happening on the Apple TV when playing a video. It does describe how the controls work in the menu system, which seems to match what I am seeing.

What should center-click do while playing a video? It isn't described on that page, and it does strange things. What should center-tap do while playing a video? Also not described.
- center click while playing the video should(and would) bring up the osd controls
- center tap does nothing, edge taps would ff/rew 10sec/30sec/1min depends how its setup and how many times you consecutively tapped the edge

syplex wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 08:53 I guess the main issue is the video player doesn't work as expected since it doesn't work like the built-in video player. If the app had a help screen showing how it was supposed to work, it might help. But it doesn't look like the behavior is documented.
it doesnt work as the "build-in" video player as we have set these up while ago and we carried it over to MrMC.

syplex wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 08:53 Is there any reason not to make the video controls behave like the built-in ATV video player when using the Siri remote?
it has been done like this many moons ago and across all supported platforms, for consistency. we are looking at ways to allow users to map their own commands to a button clicks and swipes
syplex

Post by syplex »

amet wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 15:32 - center click while playing the video should(and would) bring up the osd controls
- center tap does nothing, edge taps would ff/rew 10sec/30sec/1min depends how its setup and how many times you consecutively tapped the edge
- Center-click does bring up the controls.
- Center-tap seems to jump the video ahead some random amount of time.
- Right-edge-tap - Seeks ahead 10s (Repeat taps increases the seek)
- Left-edge-tap - Seeks back 10s (Repeat taps increases the seek)
- Top-edge-tap - Jumps ahead a seemingly random amount of time (next chapter?)
- Bottom-edge-tap - Jumps back a seemingly random amount of time (previous chapter?)

After playing around with this for a bit, it seems that center-tap may indeed do nothing but it usually registers as a "top-edge-tap" and jumps ahead.

Are any of these tap functions documented anywhere?
amet wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 15:32 it doesnt work as the "build-in" video player as we have set these up while ago and we carried it over to MrMC.
syplex wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 08:53 Is there any reason not to make the video controls behave like the built-in ATV video player when using the Siri remote?
it has been done like this many moons ago and across all supported platforms, for consistency. we are looking at ways to allow users to map their own commands to a button clicks and swipes
The problem is, it is inconsistent with the ATV user experience. The Siri remote has an elegant and very good experience for controlling video playback and the current interface in MrMC is not consistent with that. I don't think being consistent across other platforms really makes sense. It should be consistent with the experience on the target platform.

MrMC seems pretty good at video playback, and I'd like to support the software. Is there any plan to improve the ATV playback experience with the Siri remote?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

yes.
syplex

Post by syplex »

davilla wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 04:43yes.
When do you expect this to happen?
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

We are currently working on some remote improvements and will look into remapping the controls, problem will be with other users that are fine with the way it is... so you will be happy and they might not.

might need to implement a switch that will enable you to use new and others to use old map if they preferred it that way