1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

new appletv might be coming

Stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else
eazytv

Re: new appletv might be coming

Post by eazytv »

:D /me just one for the moment. Gonna be a tough fall season for me. ATV, the X and I am still waiting for Panasonic confirming Dolby Vision to be available on their OLED TV line. Uh damn... I then need a new 4k capable A/V receiver as well. :cry:

#firstworldproblems
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

I ran some tests with an Apple TV 4 and an Apple TV 4K. All of this was done going to my LG OLED65C6.

4K SDR vs 1080p SDR (Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales)
- Can't tell much of a difference
- Based on the picture of the Disney logo in Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales the 4K SDR picture appears very slightly better
- Basically a test between my TV upscaling or the Apple TV 4K upscaling
- I'd give the nod to the Apple TV 4K upscaling slightly better but they were both extremely close

4K HDR vs 1080p SDR (Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales)
- 4K HDR has a much darker picture
- 4K HDR conversion seems to leave some artifacts highlighted by looking at the Disney logo at the beginning
- 1080p SDR wins

4K Dolby Vision vs 1080p SDR (Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales)
- 4K DV has a little darker picture (not as bad as HDR)
- 4K DV conversion seems to leave some artifcacts highlighted by looking at the Disney logo at the beginning
- 1080p SDR wins

4K Dolby Vision vs 1080p SDR (Deadpool)
- The color of his suit is different in each, so colors are definitely different
- The color of his suit in DV better matches the color on the 4K UHD case
- 4K DV has much better cloud details
- 4K DV has much better image quality (especially notable in background)
- 4K DV definitely wins

4K HDR vs 1080p SDR (Deadpool)
- The color of his suit is different in each, so colors are definitely different
- The color of his suit in HDR better matches the color of the 4K UHD case
- 4K HDR has much better cloud details
- 4K HDR has much better image quality (especially notable in background)
- 4K HDR definitely wins

4K DV vs 1080p SDR (Pacific Rim)
- No contest, 4K DV blows it out of the water

Summary: Leave Apple TV in 4K SDR until playing something with HDR/DV and then switch to that (at 24Hz) and switch back to 4K SDR when it's done. Apple really needs to implement automatic switching from SDR to HDR/DV at 24Hz then back to 4K SDR at 60Hz when the content is done playing.
Selest

Post by Selest »

timstephens24 wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 14:05 I ran some tests with an Apple TV 4 and an Apple TV 4K. All of this was done going to my LG OLED65C6.

4K SDR vs 1080p SDR (Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales)
- Can't tell much of a difference
- Based on the picture of the Disney logo in Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales the 4K SDR picture appears very slightly better
- Basically a test between my TV upscaling or the Apple TV 4K upscaling
- I'd give the nod to the Apple TV 4K upscaling slightly better but they were both extremely close
Hmmm... ran the same movie plus Logan. All remuxed versions on 84UB9800 LG. LG vs ATV4k is night and day. My LG blows it away.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

typical viewing distance from the 84UB9800 LG ?
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

Selest wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 17:20 Hmmm... ran the same movie plus Logan. All remuxed versions on 84UB9800 LG. LG vs ATV4k is night and day. My LG blows it away.
You played remux's just on the TV with what app? I don't see any difference if I put a BluRay for Logan in my BluRay player vs my Apple TV 4K at 1080p SDR playing a remux of Logan with MrMC.