1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

VIDEO_TS playback engine  [SOLVED]

tvOS Video playback support subforum
dikster

VIDEO_TS playback engine

Post by dikster »

Hi!

First of all - love MrMC, it's amazing.

However when playing folder based DVD rips (VIDEO_TS), the playback engine seems to be different from the "normal" file (.mkv, .mp4) playback engine. It looks a bit like this https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#Video_Player_OSD, and with different controls than described in https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php/Siri_remote. Also there is no progress scrubbing.

Is it possible to switch the VIDEO_TS playback engine to the "normal" playback engine?

Best regards

Dikster
cosmoxl

Re: VIDEO_TS playback engine

Post by cosmoxl »

yeah, it's different. same as when watching through live tv/dvr add-ons.

the technical reasons why probably have something to do with not being able to scan the file to generate the scrubbing thumbnail?
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: VIDEO_TS playback engine  [SOLVED]

Post by davilla »

Yes, no scrubber for dvd's. That's because of how dvd's are accessed. They typically are not a single file and getting to the right place is difficult.
integer

Post by integer »

Hello, I hope its ok to add this here instead of creating a new thread to ask!

I was trying out MrMC Lite - first off, thanks a ton for offering a preview version.

Everything seems excellent except for DVD playback which would be a big part of my usage (old stuff not available in HD, pure interlaced content).

The big issue I am having is that it seems to use libmpeg2 no matter what and there is no yadif2x deinterlacing available - it is stuck at 29.97fps and looks terrible (very aliased). I assume there is no menu option to switch to ffmpeg or hardware decoding? I assume not, due to there being only one implementation for playing dvd structures.

So my big question: Is there anyway to implement a "simplified DVD playback" method? It could be toggled via a menu option.

What I would be hoping for is auto-playing the largest vob set either via the associated ifo file or through a simple chained playback of that vobset? No menu involved. 99% of dvds would be able to play the main titleset that way.

I'm not sure if that is technically feasible, but it seems like that would allow the standard playback engine with yadif2x deinterlacing available, and maybe even enable the thumbnail scrubbing referenced above.

You would have a guaranteed sale from me if that was possible.

Since I am bugging you, one more question, not really related:

MrMC looks like nearly the best option for me on the AppleTv4k. I use SPMC on the nvidia shieldtv - it has an menu setting to allow software decoding of standard def content and hardware decoding for hd or higher content. Is there a similar option available in MrMC? Other than manually toggling the option for every video that is.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

integer wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 16:49 Hello, I hope its ok to add this here instead of creating a new thread to ask!

I was trying out MrMC Lite - first off, thanks a ton for offering a preview version.

Everything seems excellent except for DVD playback which would be a big part of my usage (old stuff not available in HD, pure interlaced content).

The big issue I am having is that it seems to use libmpeg2 no matter what and there is no yadif2x deinterlacing available - it is stuck at 29.97fps and looks terrible (very aliased). I assume there is no menu option to switch to ffmpeg or hardware decoding? I assume not, due to there being only one implementation for playing dvd structures.

So my big question: Is there anyway to implement a "simplified DVD playback" method? It could be toggled via a menu option.

What I would be hoping for is auto-playing the largest vob set either via the associated ifo file or through a simple chained playback of that vobset? No menu involved. 99% of dvds would be able to play the main titleset that way.

I'm not sure if that is technically feasible, but it seems like that would allow the standard playback engine with yadif2x deinterlacing available, and maybe even enable the thumbnail scrubbing referenced above.

You would have a guaranteed sale from me if that was possible.

Since I am bugging you, one more question, not really related:

MrMC looks like nearly the best option for me on the AppleTv4k. I use SPMC on the nvidia shieldtv - it has an menu setting to allow software decoding of standard def content and hardware decoding for hd or higher content. Is there a similar option available in MrMC? Other than manually toggling the option for every video that is.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Apple TV won't hardware decode mpeg2. So the problem is that a different decoder is used for DVD images vs mpeg2 files? I know ff-mpeg2video has deinterlacing options.
integer

Post by integer »

cosmoxl wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 17:35 Apple TV won't hardware decode mpeg2. So the problem is that a different decoder is used for DVD images vs mpeg2 files? I know ff-mpeg2video has deinterlacing options.
Yeah, that's exactly it! DVD images are not using ff. I could extract the main titleset of every single thing to an mpg file but then I would have to use double storage space to make a playable copy since I wouldn't delete the source.

Intersting about no hardware decoding of mpeg2, I did not know that. Software decoding of mpeg2 is likely better in any case.

Thanks for your reply, I realized I may not have been quite clear enough in my original post.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

OK, something else is going on.

I just played a DVD folder and it used ff-mpeg2video. But I have seen the other decoder used somewhere in the past.

Could this be a difference with MrMC Lite?
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

cosmoxl wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 21:22 ...
Could this be a difference with MrMC Lite?
No, everything is the same in lite as it is in full version except there is no divx playback and a number of listed items is limited to 8 in lite
integer

Post by integer »

I purchased the full version :D and can confirm that it is the same as the Lite version (as stated above).

I thought maybe there was some issue due to some video_ts folders having more than 8 items in it, but that wasn't the case.

All my video sources are via NFS server.

Every single DVD iso or VIDEO_TS folder I have tried, and I have tried many, uses libmpeg2 and not ff-mpeg2video. So that makes the media player essentially unusable for any DVD playback due to the bad deinterlacing.

Also a ton of discs just fail to play back, the menu plays but they crash immediately when you try to play the movie. All of the discs play fine on hardware dvd players and SPMC on my shield tv. I believe most were authored in tsunami dvd author.

Well, now as a paying customer 8-) is there any chance of figuring out why every single DVD I play uses libmpeg2 and not ff-mpeg2video or why lots of authored dvds don't play back?

My real wishlist item would be a simplified DVD playback feature that just plays back the largest titleset using ff-mpeg2video. Is there any chance of this happening?

Very happy with the other features of the program, just very very very disappointed with the DVD playback which seems like a huge step back from what I am used to.

Thanks for your consideration!
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

In MrMC, dvd's are always vectored to libmpeg2 for sw decode because hw decode does not handle dvd menus and still frames. Last time I checked, there were no issues with deinterlacing.

debuglog please.