1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

tvOS Video playback support subforum
cosmoxl

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote:
cosmoxl wrote:Any word on whether tvOS 10 will open up some of these API, etc. ? Really feeling like my ATV4 is becoming useless compared to my fire tv (except for itunes stuff).
Still marked prohibited in tvOS 10 beta.
what a piece of crap. :x
loekf2

Post by loekf2 »

@davilla & @amet

I saw something amazing in the release notes for the new tvOS beta:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/02/ ... deotoolbox

Looks Video Toolbox finally is opened up / has been released to devs ... enabling the use of HW accelerated decoding !! :D

Will this have impact on the current codec support ? E.g. would it be possible to do > 720p HEVC decode on a ATV4 ?

My suspicion is not, due to licensing issues (HEVC licensing is confusing/expensive) and/or likely development of the A8 started somewhere in 2013 (?) so definitely no support for e.g. 10-bits main10 HEVC as used in Blu-ray 4K (and of course, the ATV4 still lacks HDMI 2.x and can't do 4K).
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

yes, 10.2 bring in official support for both videotoolbox and avsamplebufferlayer. MrMC already has videotoolbox ability. We dyload it rather than link to app.

Both iOS and tvOS can already do 4k, but h264 flavors only.

720p HEVC seems ok under software decode. 1080p HEVC is too much for the A8 to handle in software. We wait to see what Apple does regarding HEVC hardware decode. It's rumored to be present and used by Facetime on iOS.
Everbrave

Post by Everbrave »

davilla wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 13:25 yes, 10.2 bring in official support for both videotoolbox and avsamplebufferlayer. MrMC already has videotoolbox ability. We dyload it rather than link to app.

Both iOS and tvOS can already do 4k, but h264 flavors only.

720p HEVC seems ok under software decode. 1080p HEVC is too much for the A8 to handle in software. We wait to see what Apple does regarding HEVC hardware decode. It's rumored to be present and used by Facetime on iOS.
do you plan to use AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer in future releases? Would ATV4 then be able to play 1080p hevc smoothly?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

hw decode of HEVC is not publicly exposed in ether AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer or VideoToolBox. It is rumored to be present but until is becomes publicly supported (or I figure it out), 720p sw decode of HVEC remains the upper limit.

MrMC does have experimental AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer support under iOS devices. Between the two (AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer or VideoToolBox), AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer is the fastest way to decode and render video content BUT at a loss of user brightness/contract control.
Everbrave

Post by Everbrave »

davilla wrote: 19 Mar 2017, 23:08 hw decode of HEVC is not publicly exposed in ether AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer or VideoToolBox. It is rumored to be present but until is becomes publicly supported (or I figure it out), 720p sw decode of HVEC remains the upper limit.

MrMC does have experimental AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer support under iOS devices. Between the two (AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer or VideoToolBox), AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer is the fastest way to decode and render video content BUT at a loss of user brightness/contract control.
Talking about "figuring it out", the only player that I know on ATV4 which can play 1080p hevc, is PlayerXtreme; have the developer, perhaps, figured it out?
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Everbrave wrote: 19 Mar 2017, 23:50
davilla wrote: 19 Mar 2017, 23:08 hw decode of HEVC is not publicly exposed in ether AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer or VideoToolBox. It is rumored to be present but until is becomes publicly supported (or I figure it out), 720p sw decode of HVEC remains the upper limit.

Talking about "figuring it out", the only player that I know on ATV4 which can play 1080p hevc, is PlayerXtreme; have the developer, perhaps, figured it out?
I tried this playerxtreme out with HEVC. It most certainly does not play 1080p HEVC smoothly. :)
Everbrave

Post by Everbrave »

cosmoxl wrote: 28 Mar 2017, 14:34
Everbrave wrote: 19 Mar 2017, 23:50

I tried this playerxtreme out with HEVC. It most certainly does not play 1080p HEVC smoothly. :)
No, PlayerXtreme isn't smooth either but it is as far as it comes for a direct player on ATV4. The only way I know to play HEVC smoothly on ATV4 is Plex.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

that would be because plex transcodes it
Everbrave

Post by Everbrave »

amet wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 11:15 that would be because plex transcodes it
yes; there is no direct way as far as I know.
This is the only reason for which I use my Minix U1 (Amlogic S905 SoC) under Android; otherwise I prefer ATV4 and tvOS