1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

tvOS Video playback support subforum
Carnaged
Posts: 2
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 16:14

Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by Carnaged » 30 Jan 2016, 16:20

Hi,

Is there any thought that hardware acceleration might come somewhere down the line, from what I have read it is apple that has to allow this?

Do apps like Plex have access to the hardware acceleration? Why wouldn't apps get this by default?

I have some bluray rips that currently stutter but it's able to handle most of my collection so far.

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3661
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by davilla » 31 Jan 2016, 04:00

Both APIs for hw acceleration are marked prohibited for tvOS. The only way is to use avplayer which only works well for m3u8. That is why other tvOS video players have such long delays before playing.

Look closer at MrMC.log to see what is going on with your blurays. Works very well here with my toughest bluray rip.

Looxoor
Posts: 129
Joined: 18 Nov 2015, 11:30

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by Looxoor » 31 Jan 2016, 17:51

Carnaged wrote: I have some bluray rips that currently stutter but it's able to handle most of my collection so far.
It might be network related, instead of lack of computing power.

Several users have seen improvements switching to a high speed wifi network instead of wired.

But that might not be the case for you.

sharky
Posts: 11
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 19:13

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by sharky » 07 Apr 2016, 06:18

I don't have the source anymore , but someone did an iperf (network benchmark) test wire vs wireless and wireless performace was 3X faster. Try to switch to wifi and see how things going.

EDIT: What the hell , the atv4 only have a 100MBit Ethernet Port. Sure definitely enough to stream a dozens video streams , but come on apple we have 2016 !

cosmoxl
Posts: 1407
Joined: 12 Dec 2015, 14:16

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by cosmoxl » 02 Aug 2016, 15:43

I realize this is an old thread. Any update on apple opening up the APIs for videotoolbox? It piqued my curiosity when I realized that there were hardware acceleration choices in the iOS MrMC. Doesn't make sense that apple would have iOS APIs open but not the apple*TV* - a device created to play video. :o

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3661
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by davilla » 02 Aug 2016, 16:42

cosmoxl wrote:I realize this is an old thread. Any update on apple opening up the APIs for videotoolbox? It piqued my curiosity when I realized that there were hardware acceleration choices in the iOS MrMC. Doesn't make sense that apple would have iOS APIs open but not the apple*TV* - a device created to play video. :o
Nope, still no options. VideoToolBox usage under tvOS is strange, CPU tells me it is sw decoded. There's another method in iOS called 'AVF', CDVDVideoCodecAVFoundation which uses AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer. Very fast, faster than VideoToolBox in fact on iOS.

Neither methods are permitted under tvOS. Apple refuses to say why or even talk about it.

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3661
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by davilla » 02 Aug 2016, 16:45

I also have older development code that turned AVPlayer into a codec and used that. It got stuck on the shelf once we realized how powerful the dual A8's were.

cosmoxl
Posts: 1407
Joined: 12 Dec 2015, 14:16

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by cosmoxl » 02 Aug 2016, 20:29

davilla wrote:
cosmoxl wrote:I realize this is an old thread. Any update on apple opening up the APIs for videotoolbox? It piqued my curiosity when I realized that there were hardware acceleration choices in the iOS MrMC. Doesn't make sense that apple would have iOS APIs open but not the apple*TV* - a device created to play video. :o
Nope, still no options. VideoToolBox usage under tvOS is strange, CPU tells me it is sw decoded. There's another method in iOS called 'AVF', CDVDVideoCodecAVFoundation which uses AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer. Very fast, faster than VideoToolBox in fact on iOS.

Neither methods are permitted under tvOS. Apple refuses to say why or even talk about it.
yep, I found on my ipad mini 2 AVFoundation method used less CPU than VideoToolbox

Very puzzling by apple indeed. Almost like they don't want their box to be more popular.

cosmoxl
Posts: 1407
Joined: 12 Dec 2015, 14:16

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by cosmoxl » 29 Aug 2016, 22:02

Any word on whether tvOS 10 will open up some of these API, etc. ? Really feeling like my ATV4 is becoming useless compared to my fire tv (except for itunes stuff).

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3661
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Hardware Acceleration? ATV4

Post by davilla » 29 Aug 2016, 22:07

cosmoxl wrote:Any word on whether tvOS 10 will open up some of these API, etc. ? Really feeling like my ATV4 is becoming useless compared to my fire tv (except for itunes stuff).
Still marked prohibited in tvOS 10 beta.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests