1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Video files format support?  [SOLVED]

tvOS Video playback support subforum
Samekas

Video files format support?

Post by Samekas »

I have heard the ATV4K doesn't play VC-1 and mpeg-4 files? A lot of my Plex library is VC-1 mkv, with MrMc it can play all the files like Nvidia shield? I'm debating between getting either the Nvidia shield or the atv4k, both are same price .
timstephens24

Re: Video files format support?

Post by timstephens24 »

The ATV4K plays back both of those formats.
Samekas

Post by Samekas »

timstephens24 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 09:43 The ATV4K plays back both of those formats.
You sure? Heard that you need Infuse 5 Pro in order to play mkv files with VC-1 and mpeg-4.
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

100% sure, I have a lot of both.
Samekas

Post by Samekas »

timstephens24 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 10:25 100% sure, I have a lot of both.
You sure Plex server it's not transcoding?So it pretty much plays all formats like the shield, 4K HDR HEVC,etc. In your opinion the atv4k it's a better buy? Heard that it does a good job at upscale and changes the color space aromatically.
timstephens24

Re: Video files format support?  [SOLVED]

Post by timstephens24 »

You seem to really not want to believe me lol.

MrMC will direct play VC-1 and MPEG4. It's been that way since the ATV4 and before they added Plex/Emby support. I don't do any transcoding (even outside my house generally) since I have 1Gbps up.

I definitely prefer the ATV4K over the Shield for 90% of my playback. The interface is a lot nicer (on the SHIELD the main screen is blurry at 4K), it upscales better, and supports Dolby Vision for Netflix, iTunes movies, etc. It also does the auto colorspace switching.

The Shield has some advantages though, like in MrMC on the Shield it will do auto-resolution switching so 1080p files are played back in 1080p even when the Shield interface is set to 4K. That gets around the poor upscaling. It also supports passthrough audio (mainly just a benefit for Atmos/DTS:X tracks), so if you have some upfiring/ceiling speakers for spatial audio you might like that better.
Samekas

Post by Samekas »

timstephens24 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 11:54 You seem to really not want to believe me lol.

MrMC will direct play VC-1 and MPEG4. It's been that way since the ATV4 and before they added Plex/Emby support. I don't do any transcoding (even outside my house generally) since I have 1Gbps up.

I definitely prefer the ATV4K over the Shield for 90% of my playback. The interface is a lot nicer (on the SHIELD the main screen is blurry at 4K), it upscales better, and supports Dolby Vision for Netflix, iTunes movies, etc. It also does the auto colorspace switching.

The Shield has some advantages though, like in MrMC on the Shield it will do auto-resolution switching so 1080p files are played back in 1080p even when the Shield interface is set to 4K. That gets around the poor upscaling. It also supports passthrough audio (mainly just a benefit for Atmos/DTS:X tracks), so if you have some upfiring/ceiling speakers for spatial audio you might like that better.
In that case I think I'm going with the shield since it auto changes to 1080p so that means it also changes the color space? No need now to use the deinterlace video = auto
deinterlace method (SD/software) = yadif (2x)
deinterlace method (HD/hardware accelerated) = bob inverted
video scaling method = lanczos3 - optimised , which was recommend because of the poor upscale right?
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

Samekas wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 12:04 In that case I think I'm going with the shield since it auto changes to 1080p so that means it also changes the color space?
No, there's no auto colorspace switching on the Shield. What you have set (BT.2020 or BT.709) will stay the same, even when switching resolutions. With Oreo the colorspace conversion that's happening is better than previously, but still not as preferable as just changing the colorspace.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Samekas wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 10:12
timstephens24 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 09:43 The ATV4K plays back both of those formats.
You sure? Heard that you need Infuse 5 Pro in order to play mkv files with VC-1 and mpeg-4.
That's a Infuse problem, not ours :)

The AppleTV4K has plenty of pones and has no issues handling VC1 or MP4 and MrMC handles them just fine on AppleTV4K.

The AppleTV4K has better HDR color space handling and can display switching. Where the Shield is better is with audio passthrough.
Samekas

Post by Samekas »

davilla wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 12:30
Samekas wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 10:12
That's a Infuse problem, not ours :)

The AppleTV4K has plenty of pones and has no issues handling VC1 or MP4 and MrMC handles them just fine on AppleTV4K.

The AppleTV4K has better HDR color space handling and can display switching. Where the Shield is better is with audio passthrough.
I see, thanks for the answer but the settings I mentioned above which are recommend in spmc is no longer needed since it automatically changes to 1080p so the TV up scales?