1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Best/Optimal 4K Video Acceleration Settings  [SOLVED]

tvOS Video playback support subforum
jrcorwin

Re: Best/Optimal 4K Video Acceleration Settings

Post by jrcorwin »

cosmoxl wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 20:40
jrcorwin wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 20:29
davilla wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:48 If your hdtv is professionally calibrated , don't touch it :)

Like cosmoxl says, lower contrast to 46 (set it global, hint, scroll down in video settings) and vtb should be perfect.

If not, there's something else going on and I'd love to see mediainfo for those files.
Wait a minute...I have a problem. I don’t think I was specific enough with my first post in this thread. I am NOT having an issue with washed out colors when “Allow hardware acceleration - VideoToolBox” is enabled. I ONLY experience the washed out look when “- Use VideoToolBox for 4K HEVC HDR content” is enabled.
there ya go. so there's no problem then. AVF should be used for HDR. make sure VTB won't be used for HDR by unticking that sub-setting. then for SDR material you still might see that contrast to 46 is good for VTB.
Ahhh thank you.
jrcorwin

Post by jrcorwin »

davilla wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 20:50 Yes, "Use VideoToolBox for 4K HEVC HDR content" (enabled) forces it to handle HEVC/HDR content. But can't do HDR correctly as the rendering is done via 8-bit Open GLES shaders.

We could have hidden this all away but preferred to make the defaults be, vtb (enabled), 'Use VideoToolBox for 4K HEVC HDR content" (disabled) and afv (enabled).

This way, h264 and non-sdr h265 goes to vtb, and afv handles hdr.

As wesk05 brought up in another thread, the hdr detection is wrong and will get fixed in the next push.
Thank you. Thoughts on the suggestion to still adjust contrast to 46% for SDR content?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

wesk05 votes no,
cosmoxl votes yes,
davilla says, vote with your eyes :)
wesk05

Post by wesk05 »

davilla wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:56 wesk05 votes no,
cosmoxl votes yes,
Yep! You may adjust the source output levels to match a reference, but when the output is already accurate it does no good in adjusting the source level.
wesk05

Post by wesk05 »

jrcorwin wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:07 Thank you. Thoughts on the suggestion to still adjust contrast to 46% for SDR content?
Doing so may throw the grayscale/gamma tracking of your calibration off (purely technical). Visually, you may not even notice it.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

wesk05 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 22:06
davilla wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:56 wesk05 votes no,
cosmoxl votes yes,
Yep! You may adjust the source output levels to match a reference, but when the output is already accurate it does no good in adjusting the source level.
We're talking for VTB decoder here as you can't adjust brightness/contrast for AVF anyway. VTB at default 50/50 for brightness and contrast clips above the normal white and black level. We know that AVF doesn't.

So, I assume you're talking about AVF when you say "already accurate". The question then remains, what to do for VTB? I know you don't use VTB anyway but maybe you have some insight?
wesk05

Post by wesk05 »

cosmoxl wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 23:11 We're talking for VTB decoder here as you can't adjust brightness/contrast for AVF anyway. VTB at default 50/50 for brightness and contrast clips above the normal white and black level. We know that AVF doesn't.

So, I assume you're talking about AVF when you say "already accurate". The question then remains, what to do for VTB? I know you don't use VTB anyway but maybe you have some insight?
VTB and AVF are both bit accurate. VTB clips super black/white and AVF passes it through.

Personally, I prefer devices that allow passthrough of super black/white in YCbCr mode. This allows you to set the brightness/contrast on your display if you are using the device as a source for calibration. This is also important with xvYCC color space. If you do have such content you may have to use AVF (I'm not sure whether ATV 4K actually supports xvYCC).
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

wesk05 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 23:57
cosmoxl wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 23:11 We're talking for VTB decoder here as you can't adjust brightness/contrast for AVF anyway. VTB at default 50/50 for brightness and contrast clips above the normal white and black level. We know that AVF doesn't.

VTB and AVF are both bit accurate. VTB clips super black/white and AVF passes it through.

Personally, I prefer devices that allow passthrough of super black/white in YCbCr mode. This allows you to set the brightness/contrast on your display if you are using the device as a source for calibration. This is also important with xvYCC color space. If you do have such content you may have to use AVF (I'm not sure whether ATV 4K actually supports xvYCC).
Good info here. thanks!
Acid78

Post by Acid78 »

Hey guys

Just started to use MrMC on the Apple TV 4k, coming from Kodi.

Everything runs fine basically. But u can't find the contrast / brightness setting in MrMC. Settings are in expert mode but I looked everywhere whitout success. Could you explain where I can find this setting?
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Acid78 wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:59 Hey guys

Just started to use MrMC on the Apple TV 4k, coming from Kodi.

Everything runs fine basically. But u can't find the contrast / brightness setting in MrMC. Settings are in expert mode but I looked everywhere whitout success. Could you explain where I can find this setting?
Brightness and contrast are found in the video settings while playing a video. But, I wouldn't adjust them. Wesk05 is right about things. Also, if AVF is the decoder there is no brightness/contrast adjustment.