1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Best/Optimal 4K Video Acceleration Settings  [SOLVED]

tvOS Video playback support subforum
jrcorwin

Best/Optimal 4K Video Acceleration Settings

Post by jrcorwin »

I am confused by these settings. I get washed out colors with Video Tools, but then I saw something about adjust the brightness setting? The MrMC brightness setting? My LG C7P is professionally calibrated and I don’t/won’t alter the TV’s settings themselves.

Want are the best/optimal MrMC video acceleration settings?Thank you!
cosmoxl

Re: Best/Optimal 4K Video Acceleration Settings

Post by cosmoxl »

jrcorwin wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:12 I am confused by these settings. I get washed out colors with Video Tools, but then I saw something about adjust the brightness setting? The MrMC brightness setting? My LG C7P is professionally calibrated and I don’t/won’t alter the TV’s settings themselves.

Yes, MrMC. And it's actually contrast you'd adjust to unclip whites. What people usually see is that VTB clips whites, AVF doesn't. So, lower contrast to 46 and VTB no longer clips whites.

But, it sounds like you have another issue if you're getting washed out colors with VTB. Do you get washed out colors with all files?

I use AVF for everything, as do a lot of people I think, but it just doesn't handle some h264 files well so you might see it go off cadence sometimes after a skip forward/back. That's why VTB is on by default.
jrcorwin

Post by jrcorwin »

cosmoxl wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:25
jrcorwin wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:12 I am confused by these settings. I get washed out colors with Video Tools, but then I saw something about adjust the brightness setting? The MrMC brightness setting? My LG C7P is professionally calibrated and I don’t/won’t alter the TV’s settings themselves.

Yes, MrMC. And it's actually contrast you'd adjust to unclip whites. What people usually see is that VTB clips whites, AVF doesn't. So, lower contrast to 46 and VTB no longer clips whites.

But, it sounds like you have another issue if you're getting washed out colors with VTB. Do you get washed out colors with all files?

I use AVF for everything, as do a lot of people I think, but it just doesn't handle some h264 files well so you might see it go off cadence sometimes after a skip forward/back. That's why VTB is on by default.
I’m not really sure. I need to test this more with different types of content between the two settings.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

If your hdtv is professionally calibrated , don't touch it :)

Like cosmoxl says, lower contrast to 46 (set it global, hint, scroll down in video settings) and vtb should be perfect.

If not, there's something else going on and I'd love to see mediainfo for those files.
jrcorwin

Post by jrcorwin »

davilla wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:48 If your hdtv is professionally calibrated , don't touch it :)

Like cosmoxl says, lower contrast to 46 (set it global, hint, scroll down in video settings) and vtb should be perfect.

If not, there's something else going on and I'd love to see mediainfo for those files.
Thank you very much. I will test that out tonight!

Yes, the calibration cost me $600 for all inputs and all SDR/HDR formats. So no way I’m screwing with it’s settings!
wesk05

Post by wesk05 »

jrcorwin wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 16:01 Yes, the calibration cost me $600 for all inputs and all SDR/HDR formats. So no way I’m screwing with it’s settings!
If your TV is calibrated properly, I don't see any reason why you should be adjusting brightness or contrast in MrMC. The output of Apple TV 4K is pretty bit accurate. There is dithering being applied. Not sure whether this is coming from MrMC or TvOS.
jrcorwin

Post by jrcorwin »

wesk05 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:27
jrcorwin wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 16:01 Yes, the calibration cost me $600 for all inputs and all SDR/HDR formats. So no way I’m screwing with it’s settings!
If your TV is calibrated properly, I don't see any reason why you should be adjusting brightness or contrast in MrMC. The output of Apple TV 4K is pretty bit accurate. There is dithering being applied. Not sure whether this is coming from MrMC or TvOS.
This only happens when VideoToolBox is enabled within the MrMC “Acceleration” settings. I won’t be adjusting the contrast or brightness setting of my TV...only that of MrMC.
jrcorwin

Post by jrcorwin »

davilla wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:48 If your hdtv is professionally calibrated , don't touch it :)

Wait a minute...I have a problem. I don’t think I was specific enough with my first post in this thread. I am NOT having an issue with washed out colors when “Allow hardware acceleration - VideoToolBox” is enabled. I ONLY experience the washed out look when “- Use VideoToolBox for 4K HEVC HDR content” is enabled.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

jrcorwin wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 20:29

Wait a minute...I have a problem. I don’t think I was specific enough with my first post in this thread. I am NOT having an issue with washed out colors when “Allow hardware acceleration - VideoToolBox” is enabled. I ONLY experience the washed out look when “- Use VideoToolBox for 4K HEVC HDR content” is enabled.
there ya go. so there's no problem then. AVF should be used for HDR. make sure VTB won't be used for HDR by unticking that sub-setting. then for SDR material you still might see that contrast to 46 is good for VTB.
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Best/Optimal 4K Video Acceleration Settings  [SOLVED]

Post by davilla »

Yes, "Use VideoToolBox for 4K HEVC HDR content" (enabled) forces it to handle HEVC/HDR content. But can't do HDR correctly as the rendering is done via 8-bit Open GLES shaders.

We could have hidden this all away but preferred to make the defaults be, vtb (enabled), 'Use VideoToolBox for 4K HEVC HDR content" (disabled) and afv (enabled).

This way, h264 and non-sdr h265 goes to vtb, and afv handles hdr.

As wesk05 brought up in another thread, the hdr detection is wrong and will get fixed in the next push.