1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

4K HDR Buffering when played via Plex Client

tvOS Video playback support subforum
scrimpy

4K HDR Buffering when played via Plex Client

Post by scrimpy »

New to MrMc - just got to experience what 4K HDR looks like compared to 1080p file. Impressed.

Took ages to workout how to properly setup MrMC to play my HDR 4K files properly but am now able to connect to my fileserver via SMB and play the files directly from there.

Having been a Plex user for many years I was hoping I could just connect to my Plex server using the built in client. When I do that I can see my library just fine but the 4K HDR files buffer after about 30 seconds(1080p work with no issue). The same file plays perfectly when directly played from the SMB share.

I have the hardware acceleration option checked in the MrMC setup ( have tried all combinations of the two hardware acceleration types ).

Are there any specific changes I need to make on either the Plex server or the MrMC side to stop the buffering from occurring. Image quality seems to be the same.
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: 4K HDR Buffering when played via Plex Client

Post by davilla »

in settings -> system -> internet access -> set buffers to 200, and buffer all filesystems

hevc/hdr really pushes the network bandwidth.
scrimpy

Post by scrimpy »

Done that. No difference.

Again - works perfectly with just SMB access.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

if you enable webserver, then there is another level of debug available. You can turn it on while playing something via webserver page. Or via command line using curl and the MrMC json API

curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Input.ShowCodec","id":1}' http://192.168.2.102:8080/jsonrpc

This toggles it on or off. Use you AppleTV IP of course.

In the display, a/v demux buffers are tracked, as well as video bitrate. You should see a/v demux buffers fill, then the cache level buffer fill. If a or v demux buffers drain to zero, then playback stops until they fill again. If you pause, then you can see cache filling continue until full.

Plex Client uses http(s) as the transport method. SMB uses a different method but as it has slightly higher overhead, http(s) should be faster at moving bytes.