1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

White Clipping

tvOS Video playback support subforum
barong

White Clipping

Post by barong »

I have noticed MrMC is clipping whites in SDR playback.
Using this file:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCn5JXny8w

Values over 234 are clipped. Playing this back in the inbuilt YouTube app works fine with no clipping.

I notice that there is a setting under acceleration that stops it from clipping, but it also elevates the black level to full range/0 instead of video black /16.

Wondering if there can be another option that leaves video black at 16 but doesn’t clip whites eg. 16 - 253?

Hope this makes sense.
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: White Clipping

Post by davilla »

The choice is limited (16 - 234) or full (0 - 255). There is no video spec for 16 - 253.

You can always adjust brightness/contract for ffmpeg/videotoolbox but not avfoundation codecs.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 17:00 The choice is limited (16 - 234) or full (0 - 255). There is no video spec for 16 - 253.

You can always adjust brightness/contract for ffmpeg/videotoolbox but not avfoundation codecs.
16-253 is actually what I get with the ATV4 using AVF, or other "native players", and with roku devices, and what I used to get with shield TV, all using ycbcr 444 8bit.
barong

Post by barong »

davilla wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 17:00 The choice is limited (16 - 234) or full (0 - 255). There is no video spec for 16 - 253.

That may be the case, but just about all other media players operate this way with black level 16 and not clipping whites.
Youtube, TV's inbuilt player (various manufacturers), various kodi boxes etc.

I understand if it is a limitation of the Apple TV 4K though and it can't be implemented.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

They might operate this way but the actual video content comes in two forms for SDR. Limited or Full. There is nothing in between.

If you want to 'boost' the white levels, use the contrast setting in the video OSD. A value of 43-45 should create the desired effect.

Note, All XBMC/Kodi/SPMC/MrMC share the identical code for color range scaling. They all treat limited as 16-235. That is the spec definition of limited range for video content.
barong

Post by barong »

Just a followup on this (very old) post...
I have worked out that enabling Hardware Acceleration - VideoToolbox is causing this for my setup.
Disabling it gives me the expected results.

I also tested the colour space with and without it enabled using this pattern:
http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio-it ... r-space-2/

When HWA is enabled, the colours are clipped and the Colour Space and Chrome Range is not converted properly.
When disabled (so decoded via SW), everything displays as it should.

Again, this could be something to do with my display, but as the Apple TV 4K has plenty of CPU grunt I think I'll leave HWA disabled for now.
Locutus

Post by Locutus »

barong wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 03:31 Just a followup on this (very old) post...
I have worked out that enabling Hardware Acceleration - VideoToolbox is causing this for my setup.
Disabling it gives me the expected results.

I also tested the colour space with and without it enabled using this pattern:
http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio-it ... r-space-2/

When HWA is enabled, the colours are clipped and the Colour Space and Chrome Range is not converted properly.
When disabled (so decoded via SW), everything displays as it should.

Again, this could be something to do with my display, but as the Apple TV 4K has plenty of CPU grunt I think I'll leave HWA disabled for now.
Hello,

Sorry to hijack this old thread. I also have the Spears & Munsil disk you mention above and would like to calibrate my system through my Apple TV 4K. Could you explain how you played this disc on your Apple TV?

Thanks