1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Good luck Kodi v18 in GooglePlay

Stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else
davilla
Team MrMC

Good luck Kodi v18 in GooglePlay

Post by davilla »

https://play.google.com/about/developer ... icy-print/

Under Malicious Behavior :)
An app distributed via Google Play may not modify, replace, or update itself using any method other than Google Play’s update mechanism. Likewise, an app may not download executable code (e.g. dex, JAR, .so files) from a source other than Google Play. This restriction does not apply to code that runs in a virtual machine and has limited access to Android APIs (such as JavaScript in a webview or browser).
The plan for Kodi v18 moves even more 'core' functionality to downloaded binary addons. The entire virtual file system, for example. This means that say for SMB server access, a binary addon would need to be loaded from the kodi repo (or others) and installed. This action is explicitly forbidden under GooglePlay.

Can't say I did not warn them long ago :) App Stores such as GooglePlay are tightening up restrictions as they realize that some people are just thieves and the honor system just does not work in the real world.

Just another example of why we at MrMC stripped out the addon feature.
cosmoxl

Re: Good luck Kodi v18 in GooglePlay

Post by cosmoxl »

Will be interesting to see this shake out.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

One could also argue that python based addons are also executable code :)
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

cosmoxl wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 14:01 Will be interesting to see this shake out.
I was thinking the same thing and wondered that wasn't included in Google's examples.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

cosmoxl wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 15:55
cosmoxl wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 14:01 Will be interesting to see this shake out.
I was thinking the same thing and wondered that wasn't included in Google's examples.
Google only thinks in Java :)
koying
Team MrMC

Post by koying »

Actually, the way is see binary addons distribution for Android *is* thru apk's / store ;)
That's assuming I actually get enough motivation to work on something I don't use daily, one day...

That's also assuming the Kodi team finally decides to implement a bin addons repo rather than bundle everything (hint: not for 18) Image

Re python, it seems clear it falls under the VM exception, but hey, who knows. Google seems to (finally) tighten up the store distribution, as the aftvnews incident shows...