1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Is this a Plex forum?

Report any issues you might have in here
lost16

Is this a Plex forum?

Post by lost16 »

Just wandering as I see many Plex postings, including a dedicated sub forum. Plex has its own Apple TV app, why not using that instead of trying to adapt MrMC to Plex?
MrMC is great at direct playing a file on your TV, from wherever you keep it, no need to insert another computer or application between. Apple TV is a small computer on itself and a NAS also if you use one.
In my view apps like Plex which need a computer to run in order to be able to play a video on a tv are left from the time when streaming box was not born and unfortunately it seems they also did not adapt.
I hope MrMC will evolve in the right direction and it won't be necessary in the future to turn on the computer each time I like to watch a video on Apple TV.
cosmoxl

Re: Is this a Plex forum?

Post by cosmoxl »

It seems to me you're not as smart as you think you are.

1) You don't know the disadvantage of the plex app - it can't play all media without transcoding. MrMC pretty much can.

2) You don't understand that plex cataloging of media is superior to what MrMC has from kodi. Plus if you have multiple client devices (firetv or apple tv) you only have to maintain 1 database - plex.

In the end you don't have to use it. But, please don't write arrogant, uninformed posts like this.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

MrMC doesn't need a computer to run in order to play something, on Amazon firetv you can use USB external hard drive and on iOS/tvOS it takes some form of storage(NAS/router).

Plus, we handle livetv playback from various backends like vdr, tvheadend, enigma2 and many others
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Some people like the Plex App, some don't :) As we support direct-play (no transcoding), running a Plex Server on a low-powered NAS is perfectly fine. You don't need a server with massive ponies as you don't need to transcode.

The addition of the native Plex Client is the beginning of a long term major refactor of core internals with regard to video sources and database handling. We feel Plex server is just another video source that also contains detailed metadata. Sort of like an external mysql on steroids.

To be honest, the mysql implementation has always been treated by kodi devs like the red headed step child. Lots of people use it, but it never gets the attention it needs. Which is why we moved the mysql setup into the GUI where it belongs instead of buried away in some cryptic advancedsettings.xml file. If you think about it, mysql is just another media client. And that's where it is moving instead of being scattered around in the code base. Same for internal sqlite.
Itzme1234

Post by Itzme1234 »

I love this topic :)

The best app is..... hard to determine. Its an elusive hybrid that I hope we see some day. Since I don't use live TV (yet), the best app is on an ATV and has the GUI of Plex, the benefits of the Plex PMS, all the meta-data uses of Plex, the ability to use a 3rd party remote (currently missing from Plex) and the Player of MrMc, including its direct play abilities and mainly DTS audio. Ideally the app would be as tweak-able as MrMc also, but only for those who want to dig in that deep.
pawdog

Post by pawdog »

lost16 wrote:Just wandering as I see many Plex postings, including a dedicated sub forum. Plex has its own Apple TV app, why not using that instead of trying to adapt MrMC to Plex?
MrMC is great at direct playing a file on your TV, from wherever you keep it, no need to insert another computer or application between. Apple TV is a small computer on itself and a NAS also if you use one.
In my view apps like Plex which need a computer to run in order to be able to play a video on a tv are left from the time when streaming box was not born and unfortunately it seems they also did not adapt.
I hope MrMC will evolve in the right direction and it won't be necessary in the future to turn on the computer each time I like to watch a video on Apple TV.
Surely you are not suggesting MrMc have even less capabilities. The inclusion of the Plex service has actually made MrMc a good client for the multiple TV household. You seem to not be somebody that has a serious media collection or more than one
TV. You may think that a computer is somehow an old fashion way to manage a media collection but sometimes old fashioned remains best. Nothing has replaced the computer in this regard.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

Dylan Cooper wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 15:23 Hello guys,

This is Dylan Cooper, i am new on this forum. I would love to learn more on plex.
you sure you are not just spamming our forums?

more on plex here -> https://plex.tv