1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Switch from ShieldTv/kodi vs ATV4K/MrMc

Report any issues you might have in here
Pampa360

Switch from ShieldTv/kodi vs ATV4K/MrMc

Post by Pampa360 »

Hello there,
thank you for the nice work you are doing here, that's awesome.

newbie here...

Few months ago I bought a Sony AF8. Then, I god interested by playing my blurays and uhd/4k videos from my NAS so decided to get a Shield tv. I am running Kodi on it so far, and it works fine. However, I was pretty disappointed by the video quality, and it took me really age to understand why and I figured out that even though Kodi and the Shield allow for resolution switch there are still problems with color spacing switch, making it difficult to have good hybrid settings for both formats.

I looked further and found that the ATV4K and MrMC allow this color spacing switch but not the resolution switch which might be not critical because the ATV4K seems to have good upscaling capability (even though versus the AF8 I don't know).

I sound may be stupid to ask, but would you recommend me to sell my Shield and get the ATV4K for my use. I prefer to ask because, you know, it costs a bit. and also because there might be few things I did not think of. I was quite lost few days ago I would like to not reiterate expensive mistake.

I am welcoming any of your recommendation,

thank you very much for the help.

cheers
pecinko

Re: Switch from ShieldTv/kodi vs ATV4K/MrMc

Post by pecinko »

This might answer your question:

https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4289
Pampa360

Post by Pampa360 »

Hello,

Thanks you for the link, but I already found it . I am still torn between the two.
Do you really think the ATV4K upscale as good as a recent tv ? If yes it answered my question.

Today i am going to install Mrmc on my Shield to check the app at least.

Thank you
pecinko

Post by pecinko »

Guys in that thread know better then me.
Pampa360

Post by Pampa360 »

ok,
I bought an ATV4K

Now what I would like to do is to:

set the Shield (using MrMc or Kodi) for 1080p content and the ATV4K (using MrMc)for HDR/4K content or

set the ATV4K (using MrMc) for 1080p content and the Shield (using MrMc or Kodi) for HDR/4K content or

what setup do you advise and why ?

thank you for your help

cheers
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

for AppleTV4k, start with defaults. Enable display switching in tvOS. Check that display switching is enabled in MrMC. Enjoy.
Pampa360

Post by Pampa360 »

hey thank you for the advise,

but a more precise idea of which combination I should use ?

thanks,

cheers