1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

DTS HD HRA not working correctly on some AV receivers

Report any issues you might have in here
ogrim1

DTS HD HRA not working correctly on some AV receivers

Post by ogrim1 » 04 Aug 2018, 07:02

Hello,

not sure if you are aware of this problem yet, but for several months now, passthrough of DTS HD HRA streams is not working correctly with some AV receivers, mainly newer Denon and Marantz models.

This problem is also present in Kodi itself. It seems that the problem is understood (see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2731291) , but nobody on the Kodi side is working on it at the moment because they have higher priorities.

Is this something you are aware of / working on?

There are several workarounds, but none of them are quite perfect:

- Disable passthrough completely: Then Atmos and DTS:X are no longer working correctly
- Disable passthrough for DTS HD: Then you only get DTS core for DTS HD MA streams (which are working fine)
- Just disable passthrough when you want to play a DTS HD HRA movie, but this is rather deep in the settings menu

Since passthrough is not working anyway at the moment on the ATV, could it be a solution to have a switch for "Passthrough only Atmos and DTS:X, decode everything else"? This would also be a good solution.

Greetings from Germany,
Michael

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: DTS HD HRA not working correctly on some AV receivers

Post by davilla » 04 Aug 2018, 13:51

samples please.

ogrim1

Post by ogrim1 » 05 Aug 2018, 06:50

Sorry, but I'm not sure which samples you mean...You can find samples for DTS HD HRA for example here https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dts-trailers/ (e.g. SFX Short (Lossless))
The problem is only with a specific decoder chip used in some AVRs.

However, there is no need to debug the problem again. People (me not included) have understood it. LAVfilters had the same problem and fixed it (https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/issues/167). Fritsch (not sure if you guys still are in contact...) also seems to know exactly what to do, but it just isn't high on his priority list.

I'm no programmer, so I don't know how to help further, but if you have something to test, I'd be happy to run a test on my system. I bought MRMC on Fire TV, Shield, TVOS and IOS (I really like it :D ) Shield is where the main problems are, since the ATV does not do any passthrough at all at the moment.

ogrim1

Post by ogrim1 » 23 Aug 2018, 14:51

Did you have a chance to take a quick look at the problem?

One more thing that could maybe be interesting to you, this seems to be the fix:

"You need to change the way DTS-HD-HR is packet and sent. Newer AVRs since ~ 1.5 years all share the same dump DTS detection version and only recognize DTS-HD-HR when sent 192/2 - kodi packs them into 192/8."

Also there is a kodi defect for this (https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17886), but as I said, nobody is working at it yet.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 24 Aug 2018, 00:53

ATV is what ? AppleTV or Amazon TV :) Hard to tell which device you are using.

According to MediaInfo, the HRA is 8 channels at 96.0 kHz

ogrim1

Post by ogrim1 » 24 Aug 2018, 07:38

Oh, of course could be both... In this case I meant the AppleTV, where passthrough is broken since some TVOS updates ago.

DTS HD is either 8 channels at 96 kHz or 2 channels at 192 kHz. If I understand the problem correctly, at the moment the 96 kHz 8 channel audio is packed into 192 kHz 8 channel IEC frames, which the receiver does not parse correctly, and should be packed into 192/2.

This is also the fix that was used by LAVFilters. At https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilter ... 6fd36c827d , you can see the diff of how they fixed it... Hope this helps.

Sorry I can't be of more help here. I don't have any real idea about how this stuff works, I'm just google-ing and copying whatever sounds like it could help you the most :) I hope that's not too annoying.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 24 Aug 2018, 15:27

The AppleTV can only do 48KHz, so 96/192 is just not possible right now.

ogrim1

Post by ogrim1 » 24 Aug 2018, 19:48

I own several boxes, including a NVIDIA Shield TV, a Fire TV and an Apple TV 4K and bought MrMC for all of them. As stated correctly, the problem is not with the Apple TV since that is unable to passthrough any audio stream at the moment anyway.

The problem is mainly with the Shield which I use for everything with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. At the moment, it is plain impossible to play any movie with DTS:X inside a DTS HD HRA audio stream since if I enable passthrough, the stream is not decoded correctly by the receiver and if I disable passthrough, I lose DTS:X.

Unfortunately, for German Blu-rays, DTS HD HRA (and also DTS:X inside DTS HD HRA) is not that uncommon. Disney for example uses HRA instead of MA for the german audio track on almost every disc. "Fast and Furious 8" is an example for DTS:X inside DTS HD HRA for the german track. This is why the problem is somehow annoying (and why I'm annoying too :) ).

Have a nice weekend!

cykocator

Post by cykocator » 11 Sep 2018, 09:31

I have the same issue with a Yamaha and an Onkyo A/V coupled with nvidia shield. Kodi is also in default.

LAVFilters seems has resolved the issue with:
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilter ... 6fd36c827d

I'm not really sure of their fix because the output spatialisation is forced at stereo :?: .