1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Failed to Download Subtitle

Any issues relating to subtitle search and download function
Nagsterus

Failed to Download Subtitle

Post by Nagsterus »

I've been trying to make subtitle download work, but I just can't seem to get it. I configured the location of subtitles to a custom one (a network share on a Windows server, and the user account has write access to the location as confirmed from the Windows HTPC), but I keep getting the error when trying to download subtitles. Also, while browsing to select the custom location, if I try to browse one up from the root of my server, I get the following error: Unknown error: 8216. I remember being able to see the other servers on my network at some point, but now I don't seem to be able to get there anymore.

Any help appreciated! Thanks for the great work so far.
amet
Team MrMC

Re: Failed to Download Subtitle

Post by amet »

Almost always, it's a permission issue with the share... To test, try enabling guest access to it and see if it works
Nagsterus

Post by Nagsterus »

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I tried everything and I keep getting the same error. I've gone as far as creating a brand new share open to Everyone with Full Control.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling MrMC. That fixed the Unknown error: 8216 popup when trying to browse the Windows Shares, but it ended up breaking again when I edited shares and tried to change the custom location for the subtitles. It looks like I will have to uninstall MrMC to fix that again.

Any other ideas to get subtitles downloading with Windows shares?

Thanks for the help.
Nagsterus

Post by Nagsterus »

Evidently, "Everyone" is not the same as "Guest" in Windows. I enabled the Guest account and gave it and "Anonymous Logon" Full Control rights to the share and to the folder, but it's still not working. I confirmed the share is wide open by connecting from OSX as Guest and saving files to it.

The strange thing is that, when the share was locked down with a username and a password, MrMC was able to connect to it with the stored credentials in the configured share and see the subtitle files, but it couldn't save to it even when that account had Full Control. Is it trying to connect to the share differently to save than to read? Is there a way to access logs to see why it's failing?

I understand I may be the minority here with a particular setup (password protected Windows shares), but it'd be nice to get MrMC working like Kodi does from the Windows HTPC. Everything else works great except for the subtitle downloads.

Thanks.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

very difficult for us to assist as we cannot reproduce the issue. I am sure it has to do with the permissions, but as I am not familiar with Windows, I cant assist with how to setup correctly.

maybe other users can?
Nagsterus

Post by Nagsterus »

I really appreciate the help. My current setup is as follows if anyone can reproduce my issue:

Two servers and three shares with the same user/password across all three shares.
  1. \\Server1\Videos\
    1. The share is set to Read and the folder security to Read (Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read)
  2. \\Server2\Videos\
    1. The share is set to Read and the folder security to Read (Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read)
  3. \\Server1\Subtitles\
    1. The share is set to Change and the folder security to Modify and Write (Modify, Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read, Write)
All three shares were added to MrMC via the network share browser with the user and password saved there. The Subtitles share is then selected in the Custom Location for subtitles setting. MrMC sees the existing subtitles, but it's unable to download new ones.

This config works fine in Kodi running on a Windows HTPC and also in Kodi running from OSX which leads me to believe MrMC is doing something differently. Both instances of Kodi and MrMC are all configured in the same way.
Nagsterus

Post by Nagsterus »

With the ability to pull the logs now, I tried to download subtitles again and what the logs show is below (I replaced my actual user, password, and sub file name with placeholders).

At first glance, it looks like the path to the subtitles is correct in the log messages except for the Copy error one where my actual user and password show as USERNAME:PASSWORD instead. I am not sure if that says anything, but, for what it's worth, I've set up Kodi with the same configuration on an Amazon Fire TV Stick and it's able to save subtitles just fine in my environment.

Code: Select all

14:01:13 T:6142849024   DEBUG: OnKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, action is Select
14:01:13 T:6143995904   DEBUG: ulxr::MethodResponse ServerChat(ulxr::MethodCall) - finished -  DownloadSubtitles
14:01:13 T:6143995904   DEBUG: virtual bool COpenSubtitlesSearch::Download(const CFileItem *, std::vector<std::string> &) - response - 200 OK
14:01:13 T:6143995904   DEBUG: virtual bool COpenSubtitlesSearch::Download(const CFileItem *, std::vector<std::string> &) - OpenSubitles subfile downloaded
14:01:13 T:6143995904 WARNING: SMBFile::OpenForWrite() called with overwriting enabled! - smb://myuser:mypassword@Server1/Subtitles/videotitle.en.srt
14:01:14 T:6143995904   ERROR: Copy - Failed write to file smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@Server1/Subtitles/videotitle.en.srt
14:01:14 T:6143995904   DEBUG: CSMBFile::Close closing fd 10001
14:01:14 T:6143995904   ERROR: OnDownloadComplete - Saving of subtitle special://temp/b1e63ac8-2c3b-46f8-8e4f-734a90486238.srt to smb://myuser:mypassword@Server1/Subtitles/videotitle.en.srt failed
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

Check write permissions for the folder, you can't write to it
Nagsterus

Post by Nagsterus »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I agree; I just find it so strange that Kodi configured in the same way (subtitles share with username and password added through the network share browser in Kodi) on Windows, OSX, and Android (Amazon) are all able to write subtitles to this share, but MrMC isn't, so I am just trying to solve the mystery :lol:

I'll eventually get around to trying Kodi on tvOS to see if it's also unable to write and post my findings. I guess things in tvOS are different and not playing nice with my Windows shares or something.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

try enabling libdsm, its in settings, that might help with saving on some windows shares.

note: there is a pause/play issue with libdsm in 1.2.0 which is addressed for the next release, above test would just help narrow it down.