1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Mrmc freeze on boot

Any issues that are Nvidia Shield TV specific
magister

Mrmc freeze on boot

Post by magister » 05 Jul 2017, 03:41

I guess this is a bug report.

So, I bought and installed mrmc on shield tv. Set up movies and set up hdhomerun pvr. All was great. I set library to update at startup. Great. Set mrmc to boot straight to tv. System freezes on startup. I can see tvdb attempting to scrape in background and I get a message about pvr not having started yet. The box then freezes. Can't do anything. I had to delete data and start over.

Not a biggie. But obviously, not going to set boot to tv anymore. Can't really get any logs, since the system completely froze and I had to start over.

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Mrmc freeze on boot

Post by davilla » 05 Jul 2017, 13:22

We do not support boot straight to tv, just have not gotten around to removing the ability yet.

There is just too much going on to be a launcher specially with the network. Use one of the numerous boot launchers to do provide this behavior.

koying
Team MrMC

Post by koying » 12 Jul 2017, 06:21

Assuming we speak about autostart, it's so late in the sequence that I suspect you could make it start quicker by clicking on the launcher icon ;)

There is some code in spmc to actually wait on network.

PS. And using a boot launcher is exactly the same, starting at the same time, just maybe a random additional small delay for the launcher processing.

magister

Post by magister » 12 Jul 2017, 10:37

I use spmc and mrmc on the same shield. Mostly my kids machine, so I try to keep things simple. I was trying to set up mrmc as the live TV option, hence the open to tv in the options. No biggie, and thanks for the responses.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 12 Jul 2017, 12:13

I spend months on app/launcher with pivos, optimizing the hell out of the boot/launch sequence. I got it down to about 1/2 second and even then, it was not 100 percent reliable. There is just too much going on during boot and launch of launcher for an Application as complex as MrMC (or variants) to be reliable.

koying
Team MrMC

Post by koying » 12 Jul 2017, 13:51

Well, sure, but we are not speaking about launcher replacement, here, but the super-standard BOOT_COMPLETED intent (https://developer.android.com/reference ... _COMPLETED).

Think autoexec.bat, basically ;)

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 12 Jul 2017, 15:53

If MrMC launched and was showing home in less than 1/2 second, there would be no need for launching in response to BOOT_COMPLETED. In fact, there is also zero guarantee that launching via BOOT_COMPLETED would even get the app in front as you are competing with other apps that might be playing the same game.

To quote google, 'If your app only uses background processes that can act on a delayed notification, listen for the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED message'

Using BOOT_COMPLETED to launch an App the size and complexity of MrMC (and others) is just asking for problems over time.

Use a launcher designed to handle these complexities. There are plenty around. Besides, two of the three App stores that MrMC is in forbid messing about with boot/app auto startup sequences. I suspect that eventually even Google will do that too.

koying
Team MrMC

Post by koying » 12 Jul 2017, 22:55

Not sure what you think the launchers you talk about do differently, but hey, your call.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 13 Jul 2017, 04:01

One big thing, there can be only one active at boot. So control and sequencing can be strictly controlled.

Using the autoexec.bat, example. Think of a bunch of autoexec.bat's all firing off at once and doing complex things. Pure madness and impossible to debug :)

magister

Post by magister » 13 Jul 2017, 04:28

Well. I am glad that the two Titans of Android development are talking in my thread, even if I have no idea what you are talking about.