1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

How does the Gen 2 Fire TV perform?

Introduce yourself here
jamesp26

How does the Gen 2 Fire TV perform?

Post by jamesp26 » 29 May 2016, 08:47

I am about done with the Apple TV 4. MrMC is great, but for a UK user I am still in a position where no additional apps of any note have appeared since BBC Iplayer in December. I Always thought Prime Video might be a dream, but other UKTV catchup services are on ROKU, Amazon eco systems etc. From a UK point of view, its really obvious that Apple really do not care about the ecosystem, and content makers aren't interested investing in it. I cant see that changing.

I'm thinking about moving over to the Fire TV, especially as MrMc is now on the platform. How does MrMC perform compare against the Apple platform. All our home content is H264 720p or 1080p stuff, which it should be fine with. However, we watch a lot of live tv (tvheadend) so deinterlacing is important. The Apple TV4 is adequate at this, but does the AFTV box have the ponies to cope? I borrowed a friends FireTV stick a while ago and put SPMC on it and it didn't appear to deinterlace properly (always though the stick wouldn't be able to cope anyway!).

In the UK live tv is either 1080i H264, or 576i Mpeg2.

Thanks for any help!

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: How does the Gen 2 Fire TV perform?

Post by davilla » 29 May 2016, 15:58

ATV4 is dual-core A8, 64-bit arm.
AFTV is quad-core. Running MrMC as armv7 32-bit right now. I hardly ever see it using more than 3 CPUs and it mostly sticks around two CPUs with the rest idled.

In theory, AFTV should have more ponies than ATV4 but I am contently surprised by how powerful the A8 is.

Firetv 2nd gen set-top box should be fine. I bounce between atv4 and firetv all the time for testing. My wife never notices which one is running unless she bounces out to netflix or prime. Netflix is on both, Prime is only on AFTV.

That said, I'm USA so don't see much 576i Mpeg2 but Amet does. I do test deinterlacing and so far I don't see any issue and If I did, it would have been fixed.

Even the low end fire tablet seems ok, as we are about to enable support for the amazon fire tablet line.

jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 » 30 May 2016, 07:47

Many thanks! I shall be picking one up this week. Will let you know what i think.

pmcdunnough

Post by pmcdunnough » 01 Jun 2016, 03:16

I too go back and forth between the ATV and the Fire TV ( ver 2). MrMC works great on both. I have managed to have both in sync using MySQL and that is really neat.

Philip

jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 » 17 Jul 2016, 21:34

Hi all,

I finally got a Fire TV 2 on Prime day. I have to say, after a few days of playing around, that its just been a big disappointment. Its being returned this week.

Don't know if I just have compatibility issues with my Onkyo amp, but Audio sync became a huge nightmare. When i rebooted it, most apps were in sync but after a while I would get sync issues again. This was the case with Prime Video or MrMC. The only app that behaved differently was IPlayer which was always out of sync. Quality from this app no where near as good as the Apple TV (which uses 50 fps streams - even for live streaming).

After a reboot, MrMC was OK, but after a bit of use i would all of a sudden get lots of dropped frames on 1080i Tvheadend streams. It was always fine on progressive video. It crashed a few times and a reboot of the unit was needed.

The Apple TV is much more slick device all round, and MrMc never skips a beat on it. Its a shame its not really taken off in the UK and that we don't have ITV hub , Channel 4 etc. Also a shame that Amazon still refuse to release an app for Prime Video. For those apps, i shall continue to airplay from the ipad!

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl » 17 Jul 2016, 22:25

jamesp26 wrote:Hi all,

I finally got a Fire TV 2 on Prime day. I have to say, after a few days of playing around, that its just been a big disappointment. Its being returned this week.

Don't know if I just have compatibility issues with my Onkyo amp, but Audio sync became a huge nightmare. When i rebooted it, most apps were in sync but after a while I would get sync issues again. This was the case with Prime Video or MrMC. The only app that behaved differently was IPlayer which was always out of sync. Quality from this app no where near as good as the Apple TV (which uses 50 fps streams - even for live streaming).

After a reboot, MrMC was OK, but after a bit of use i would all of a sudden get lots of dropped frames on 1080i Tvheadend streams. It was always fine on progressive video. It crashed a few times and a reboot of the unit was needed.

The Apple TV is much more slick device all round, and MrMc never skips a beat on it. Its a shame its not really taken off in the UK and that we don't have ITV hub , Channel 4 etc. Also a shame that Amazon still refuse to release an app for Prime Video. For those apps, i shall continue to airplay from the ipad!
I've seen some audio sync problems with my fire tv. Noticeable compared to the apple tv 4, yes. But, it's still rare. Overall I like it quite a bit. The way it plays amazon video is pretty slick (all the xray stuff, etc.) and using MrMC for playing HEVC videos is very nice.

jamesp26

Post by jamesp26 » 19 Jul 2016, 20:52

I am going to do a factory reset and try it plugged directly into the TV. I have a suspicion its having issues with my Amp. At least then i can open a support case with Amazon. I'm liking the MrMc enhancements that are coming to this device!

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl » 19 Jul 2016, 21:16

jamesp26 wrote:I am going to do a factory reset and try it plugged directly into the TV. I have a suspicion its having issues with my Amp. At least then i can open a support case with Amazon. I'm liking the MrMc enhancements that are coming to this device!
if your receiver has an HDMI lip-sync option or something that sounds like it's supposed to fix sync errors you might try the opposite of where it's set currently. :)