1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

FireTV features...

Introduce yourself here
theRCRH

FireTV features...

Post by theRCRH »

I'm a current Kodi on the 1st gen FireTV user. I'm interested in switching but sure would like to know a lot more about the differences between Kodi & MrMC. Besides a blanket statement of NO ADDONS what else has changed? Do Kodi skins work? What about weather information? Or scrapper sources?
I've probably got more questions and really wish there was more info on the website and a forum here for FireTV users (or at least android users).
Until there's some more info I'm not laying down any cash.
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: FireTV features...

Post by davilla »

No problem, I'd prefer interested people ask rather than try to guess or purchase and be unhappy :)

You already know that addons are not supported and cannot be installed. The sort of exception to that are binary addons that are prebuilt and are already installed. These are pvr, viz, screensaver. One screensaver on kodi is missing, an oversight for the 1st release but dim and black are there. This will be fixed in next update we push out.

There are a few skins included, MrMC (confluence), Amber, SiO2 and PM3-HD. Other might work but most advanced skins require python script helpers and python is gone.

Weather is not present but it might come back is there is enough user interest. So far, no one seems to have brought it up.

MetaData providers (scappers), yes. defiantly those are present as are external subtitle support.

There is a FireTV sections, go here -> http://mrmc.tv/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

Not much action so far in there, it's only been a day since release.

Anything else, just ask. We are very open about what we can do and what we cannot.
theRCRH

Post by theRCRH »

Let me try to get a little bit more granular as I think about things I've added to Kodi (ignoring if they're an addon or not).
1) weather from weatherunderground
2) photo screensaver
3) extra fanart music screensaver
4) monitor a NAS folder for new content and auto update the library
5) periodic update of library
6) meta data - is it the same as Kodi?

I think all of this might be from addons and will limit MrMC (btw is the name mister MC or is it an Initialism?).
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

MrMC -> Mister MC. Yes that's right. Mister MC was too large to fit on a simple logo so it became MrMC.

Python Addon, Not present, but could return if users want it.
2) photo screensaver
Python Addon, Not present. Maybe something for the future.
Python Addon, Not present. Again maybe something for the future.
Damn, there is an addon for that ? Need to get Amet on it ASAP.
Yes. At least I think so. Amet ?
Yes.

Just to give you some insight into our development process.

We handle bugs first. Those take priority. Stability and correct function is job one.

Next are features that users might request. These fall into two categories, something kodi did that got nuked or something new. Some are just not possible, others might take some internal infrastructure that takes time to develop. Others are dirt simple and we add them. A good example is DVD playback, that was initially nuked but users convinced us to return it. DVD ISO is there, DVD from VIDEO_TS is coming, that requires some internal infrastructure changes to do the right way.

Then we have features/improvements that we are working on that are not public yet. These we don't take about (for various reasons) and they just pop out when ready.

On iOS/tvOS we have testflight where we have users that are invited to test pre-releases. Amazon has something similar, just not quite figured it out yet. These do expire after some length of time.

At the end of the day, we perfectly understand if someone makes the choice to pass and continue with Kodi. Perhaps check back later, or not. In the end, the choice is yours and we would rather have happy users than unhappy ones.
theRCRH

Post by theRCRH »

Python Addon, Not present, but could return if users want it.
Too bad. I know there are separate apps on the firetv but it's nice to see that weather info on the main screen.

2) photo screensaver
Python Addon, Not present. Maybe something for the future.
This is a big hole. My box is on Kodi 90% of the time and having a screensaver of my photos is a big feature that isn't available without buying into the entire Amazon infrastructure. It seems weird to take photos from my server, send them to Amazon so they can "stream" them back to a box in my house.

Python Addon, Not present. Again maybe something for the future.
Again, Too bad. It's a very slick feature.

Damn, there is an addon for that ? Need to get Amet on it ASAP.
I think it's called watchdog.

Yes. At least I think so. Amet ?
Can't remember this addon's name but it's nice because it limits the library update to a single folder.

Yes.
great.

I appreciate your development strategy. Since I don't rely on the addon structure for content I'm always keen to here about an increased focus on stability. Perhaps I can get plugged into the testflight program once you sort it out with Amazon.

Thanks for the quick responses.
tootsivt

Post by tootsivt »

Is it necessary to remove Kodi before installing MrMC for SMB to work ?
SMB works fine on Kodi but shows nothing on MrMC is there something I'm missing?
theRCRH

Post by theRCRH »

tootsivt, You might have better luck if you post your question in its own thread. And posting it in the support forum would help too.
Try here.
http://mrmc.tv/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

tootsivt wrote:Is it necessary to remove Kodi before installing MrMC for SMB to work ?
SMB works fine on Kodi but shows nothing on MrMC is there something I'm missing?
Both should co-exist without issues.

Did you see this post ? http://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=581
waldo22

Post by waldo22 »

Hey Scott and Amet,

Great to see you doing this. I was reading the "call for Android devs" on Kodi's blog yesterday when I first read about MrMC, and when I realized you guys are behind this I bought it immediately.

If I were to summarize the raison d'etre for MrMC, would I be correct in saying:
Kodi's association with illegal streaming is becoming a serious threat to its adoption?

Personally I've always used Kodi to stream my personal media collection from my home server and watch MythTV.

I am starting to think I'm a dying breed; in recent months I've been told about this great new program called Kodi that has almost all movies for free from a massage therapist and a family member. The family member paid someone $50 to install Kodi with one of the streaming apps on a Fire TV stick.

The whole reason I bought a Fire TV was so that I could use Kodi and stream Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Video (eg. legal streaming) on the same device, and I was pretty irritated when Amazon pulled Kodi from the app store. ( I still am irritated, especially when they push Plex so hard. It's like pulling Windows Media Player because you can play pirated content with it).

Trying to launch side-loaded apps (before I discovered FireStarter) was a huge PITA.

Is there more to it than that? Licensing media codecs/etc?

Regardless of why, I'm glad you're doing it.

-Wes
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

The vision of MrMC is sort of 'back to the roots of XBMC'. We do have a lot planned, licensing, providers, and more. The pricing lets us pay for things and build up a war chest to go after lots of other interesting things that cost real money. Some people think it should be free, but RealLife(tm) costs real money.

Kodi/addons/piracy. This seems to be growing without bounds, but sooner or later, the deep pocket content providers and license owners will react and it will not be pretty. I hear rumblings in the mountains right now. What can I say :)

Personally, even ignoring the piracy issue, the quality with these type of addons is way down. Their servers go up and down and are heavily loaded. If I'm going to spend my time to watch something, it better be quality or it is just not worth the effort.

Don't get too upset with Amazon pulling Kodi, they really did not have much choice. The addon piracy is really out of control and I would imagine that their content providers (for Prime) were not to happy. They do have to look at the big picture.