1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Transcoding instead of Direct Play?

Support for the native Plex Client on any platform
tretneo

Transcoding instead of Direct Play?

Post by tretneo » 06 Nov 2016, 18:22

Is there a way to force Plex to transcode videos rather than utilize Direct Play? I have some pretty high bitrate and HEVC encoded media and 1) sometimes WiFi bandwidth isn't cutting it and 2) sometimes the Apple TV can't handle the playback smoothly. Perhaps this is more a feature request unless I'm missing something.

Thanks!
- tret

tretneo

Re: Transcoding instead of Direct Play?

Post by tretneo » 09 Nov 2016, 14:32

Bump. Devs? Any possibility of doing this? I know, for example, with the PlexKodiConnect addon users can decide to use either Direct Play or utilize transcoding. Transcoding is a good choice for devices on slower wifi and/or for higher bitrate media.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 09 Nov 2016, 14:50

At this time, we do not support plex transcoding. That might change in the future.

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl » 09 Nov 2016, 17:41

tretneo wrote:Is there a way to force Plex to transcode videos rather than utilize Direct Play? I have some pretty high bitrate and HEVC encoded media and 1) sometimes WiFi bandwidth isn't cutting it and 2) sometimes the Apple TV can't handle the playback smoothly. Perhaps this is more a feature request unless I'm missing something.

Thanks!
- tret
I don't know what your plex server box is...can you just use it to "optimize" some of the problematic files? If it doesn't have the power to do so it might still be best to just transcode the problematic files yourself, using an app like handbrake.

tretneo

Post by tretneo » 09 Nov 2016, 17:49

davilla wrote:At this time, we do not support plex transcoding. That might change in the future.
Thanks Davilla!

tretneo

Post by tretneo » 09 Nov 2016, 17:52

cosmoxl wrote:
tretneo wrote:Is there a way to force Plex to transcode videos rather than utilize Direct Play? I have some pretty high bitrate and HEVC encoded media and 1) sometimes WiFi bandwidth isn't cutting it and 2) sometimes the Apple TV can't handle the playback smoothly. Perhaps this is more a feature request unless I'm missing something.

Thanks!
- tret
I don't know what your plex server box is...can you just use it to "optimize" some of the problematic files? If it doesn't have the power to do so it might still be best to just transcode the problematic files yourself, using an app like handbrake.
The issue is actually with the client not the server. The server has plenty of power to transcode on the fly however I have a mixed client environment. Some are powerful enough and hardwired so playback of these high bitrate files is fine (and preferable) whereas some clients are unable to handle them. I'm trying to avoid re-encoding things, hoping Plex transcoding will make it in at some point.

Thanks for the response :)

brians

Post by brians » 20 Dec 2016, 05:40

I am starting to experiment withh265 also and although I prefer the MrMC interface over Plex, I find that the native Plex client on AppleTV is not so bad workaround until MrMC supports transcode, or there is new AppleTV hardware in the future. I just make a separate library for HEVC for now.

I have so many ways to play Plex now. Latest is Xbox one S which Plex handles x265 no problem and even 4K direct play :D But I have some issues with lip sync on Xbox one S.

Still prefer MrMC so let's hope Apple refreshes the hardware.

convertapple

Post by convertapple » 21 Dec 2016, 00:50

MrMC using Direct-play for Plex playback IS 'the killer feature' for me!
I use a low powered server running Plex but you can't turn transcoding off in Plex, except NOW you can by using MrMC.

tretneo

Post by tretneo » 04 Jan 2017, 17:15

Hey davilla,

Any chance Plex transcoding might appear in MrMC 3.0?

Thanks!
tret

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 04 Jan 2017, 17:36

tretneo wrote:Hey davilla,

Any chance Plex transcoding might appear in MrMC 3.0?

Thanks!
tret
In 3.x series, yes. In 3.0, maybe..