1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Stutter when using HW acceleration

FireTV Video playback support subforum
cosmoxl
Posts: 1407
Joined: 12 Dec 2015, 14:16

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by cosmoxl » 09 Nov 2016, 14:00

vlaves wrote:Seems like koying has fixed hardware accelerated playback on the Fire TV with his "aml fixes" for Kodi 17.
And from fritsch's comment here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid ... pid2453127 I hope it is getting included in MrMC soon.

Any comments to that. I'm on software decoding since beginning...cause of stuttering. Tested the nightly from 8th nov. of Kodi 17 and its working perfectly there.
for me surface had problems with display switching. but mediacodec (not surface) works great with switching to 24p. have you tried that?
I do have passthrough disabled.

User avatar
vlaves
Posts: 131
Joined: 04 Dec 2015, 10:33

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by vlaves » 09 Nov 2016, 14:02

cosmoxl wrote:
vlaves wrote:Seems like koying has fixed hardware accelerated playback on the Fire TV with his "aml fixes" for Kodi 17.
And from fritsch's comment here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid ... pid2453127 I hope it is getting included in MrMC soon.

Any comments to that. I'm on software decoding since beginning...cause of stuttering. Tested the nightly from 8th nov. of Kodi 17 and its working perfectly there.
for me surface had problems with display switching. but mediacodec (not surface) works great with switching to 24p. have you tried that?
I do have passthrough disabled.
yes I have tried that too.

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3653
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by davilla » 09 Nov 2016, 14:52

everyone knows the drill, debuglog showing the issue :)

jamesp26
Posts: 63
Joined: 16 Apr 2016, 11:58

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by jamesp26 » 13 Nov 2016, 11:15

davilla wrote:everyone knows the drill, debuglog showing the issue :)
I did in a previous post :) - Just a reminder if it got lost:

Sample File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwR6Z ... jJTMDZZUWc

Debug log - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwR6Z ... mJRNVUtQkE

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3653
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by davilla » 13 Nov 2016, 15:14

I see same drops issues under kodi-20161112-ae37dd6-master-armeabi-v7a.apk which lead me to think there are pts issues with TVheadend. Amet uses TVheadend. Maybe he can comment more.

jamesp26
Posts: 63
Joined: 16 Apr 2016, 11:58

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by jamesp26 » 13 Nov 2016, 22:18

davilla wrote:I see same drops issues under kodi-20161112-ae37dd6-master-armeabi-v7a.apk which lead me to think there are pts issues with TVheadend. Amet uses TVheadend. Maybe he can comment more.
Just a bit strange that these clips play perfectly on the AppleTv. I did try SPMC on the firetv and it has the same issue.

I have an old PC with Windows Media Center on it. I record a clip on that and see if it has the same issues.

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3653
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by davilla » 14 Nov 2016, 18:01

got out the big guns :)

It all boils down to arch. ATV4 is arm64, two core. AFTV2 is also arm64, four cores BUT we target arm32 as AFTV2 is actually both arm32/arm64. Called arm big.little arch. So when ffmpeg is used for decoding, arm32 side is used. Even with four cores, the AFTV2 is a little slower than Apples arm64, even with it's two cores. That Apple A8 has some real ponies...

I also tested Kodi/arm64 under sw decode and surprising it was much, much worse. They have screwed something up with deinterlacing on arm. bob-invert is not listed anymore so I bet it's using some monster cpu sucker. Much better if I turn off deinterlacing or set it to half (whatever that is :) Then I get results similar to ATV4.

Possible solutions are, target arm64 for AFTV4 but that raises distro issues. We would have to do two FireTV distros, one for arm32, the other for arm64.

jamesp26
Posts: 63
Joined: 16 Apr 2016, 11:58

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by jamesp26 » 14 Nov 2016, 19:03

Thanks for the comprehensive response!

I might be a little pessimistic, but it seems like I will never be able to use the firetv in place of the apple TV! I love the apple TV hardware, but the app selection sucks in the UK! Was hoping he firetv would be the box that did everything for me!

User avatar
davilla
Team MrMC
Posts: 3653
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 17:01

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by davilla » 14 Nov 2016, 19:56

jamesp26 wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive response!

I might be a little pessimistic, but it seems like I will never be able to use the firetv in place of the apple TV! I love the apple TV hardware, but the app selection sucks in the UK! Was hoping he firetv would be the box that did everything for me!
I would not discard the firetv just yet :)

jamesp26
Posts: 63
Joined: 16 Apr 2016, 11:58

Re: Stutter when using HW acceleration

Post by jamesp26 » 14 Nov 2016, 21:54

davilla wrote: I would not discard the firetv just yet :)
I'll hold on to it then!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests