1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Is there any chance of getting HW accelerated deinterlacing for h264 in future?

FireTV Video playback support subforum
vlaves

Is there any chance of getting HW accelerated deinterlacing for h264 in future?

Post by vlaves »

Hi MrMC Devs,

I'm a really happy user of the FireTV 2 and MrMC on it, and since the last version, playback start speed, and hardware accelerated playback works really well, I'm really impressed and that's achieved on an 100MBit Network Adapter - wow :) My Wetek Hub with Gigabit Ethernet is way slower starting and skipping the videos :)
So thanks a lot for that 1st :)

But now to my question: I'm waiting since long time if there will some some good quality h264 1080i deinterlacer on the Fire TV 2. Something like that one on the Wetek Hub (Advanced Motion Adaptive Deinterlacer) or an NEON code accelerated yadif 2x deinterlacer. Is something like that in sight in near future?

Just asking, cause if not, I'm considering updating my Server CPU and Motherboard to transcode Live TV to 720p (tvheadend on xpenology) before sending it to the Fire TV. Would rather not do that if you can maybe already say that something like is in the works.

Thanks for your hard work and that awesome support here :)

Regards
Vlaves
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: Is there any chance of getting HW accelerated deinterlacing for h264 in future?

Post by davilla »

Nope, what you see is what you get :)

The FireTV (either flavors) just does not have the ponies for yadif. I can look and see what Wetek Hub is doing but I bet a dollar that it is custom to their firmware (amlogic based).

There are a few things you can try. MediaCodec(surface) uses the internal mediacodec deinterlacer for surface. MediaCodec(non-surface) uses our deinterlacers. That's why there is a settings to disable MediaCodec(both) for interlaced content.

And software (FFMpeg) uses ours and FFMpegs. Only under FFMpeg will you be able to select yadif. Maybe ok for SD content but HD content will skip and stutter as there are just not enough ponies to do both decode and deinterlace.
vlaves

Re: Is there any chance of getting HW accelerated deinterlacing for h264 in future?

Post by vlaves »

davilla wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 16:16 Nope, what you see is what you get :)
I can look and see what Wetek Hub is doing but I bet a dollar that it is custom to their firmware (amlogic based).
Thanks for the fast and clear answer :) No need to check, they are utilizing the hardware specifik amlogic deinterlacer.
But at least now I know, no need to wait...Time for a new board and CPU :)
vlaves

Post by vlaves »

davilla wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 16:16 ...
The FireTV (either flavors) just does not have the ponies for yadif.
And software (FFMpeg) uses ours and FFMpegs...but HD content will skip and stutter as there are just not enough ponies to do both decode and deinterlace.
Would it be then please possible to get this backported to MrMC:
https://github.com/Uukrull/pvr.dvbviewe ... a38255bde4
vlaves

Post by vlaves »

Okay, maybe it’s a dumb question, earlier when this EGL stuff was introduced on Kodi Linux, the video was hardware decoded, but deinterlacing was done in software and an ivy bridge Celeron could handle yadif 2x. Would something like this work on Android or better FireOS?
It’s really the only thing missing on the Fire TV...and worst is, the 905 soc of the Fite TV 3 can do motion adaptive deinterlacing, just that it is not implemented properly in Amazons software.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

not for FireOS, the devices just don't have the cpu ponies to do yadif. Only Shield/AppleTV4K can handle it.