1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Not getting DTS-HD passthrough

Any issues that are FireTV specific
YonathanZ

Not getting DTS-HD passthrough

Post by YonathanZ »

Hi,

All my movie files have either dts-hd or truehd audio. I checked one film using jriver on my pc and I’m getting dts-hd pasthrough, however with mrmc I’m only getting Dolby digital +. I bought mrmc because it promises dts-hd passthrough so I’d really like to get it to work.

My device is a Fire TV 3rd gen (pendant). Thanks.
I feel like I should also mention the fact that my entire library comes from the Plex service. Could it be that the Plex server doesn’t allow dts-hd passthrough?
cosmoxl

Re: Not getting DTS-HD passthrough

Post by cosmoxl »

YonathanZ wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 16:20 Hi,

All my movie files have either dts-hd or truehd audio. I checked one film using jriver on my pc and I’m getting dts-hd pasthrough, however with mrmc I’m only getting Dolby digital +. I bought mrmc because it promises dts-hd passthrough so I’d really like to get it to work.

My device is a Fire TV 3rd gen (pendant). Thanks.
I feel like I should also mention the fact that my entire library comes from the Plex service. Could it be that the Plex server doesn’t allow dts-hd passthrough?
Where does MrMC "promise" DTS-HD passthrough for fire tv devices?
YonathanZ

Post by YonathanZ »

Well this is taken from the about page:

supports ACC, FLAC, DD, DTS and other audio formats.

supports digital audio pass-through.

It doesn’t mention any specific device so I didn’t assume it only works for certain ones.

So the Fire tv is not one of them?
And if that’s the case then, since I use Plex as my media server, can Plex itself decode the dts-hd soundtracks to lossless pcm for mrmc to stream?
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

YonathanZ wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 18:41 Well this is taken from the about page:

supports ACC, FLAC, DD, DTS and other audio formats.

supports digital audio pass-through.

It doesn’t mention any specific device so I didn’t assume it only works for certain ones.

So the Fire tv is not one of them?
And if that’s the case then, since I use Plex as my media server, can Plex itself decode the dts-hd soundtracks to lossless pcm for mrmc to stream?
If MrMC can't do it then it's something the device doesn't support. So, Plex couldn't do it either.

I know DD and DTS passthrough works on the fire tv2, or at least it did in the past when I tested. I don't know about fire tv 3.

HD audio codecs are another thing though.
YonathanZ

Post by YonathanZ »

What I meant is that the Plex server would do the encoding, not the streaming device. Do you know if that’s possible? Maybe without Plex?
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

YonathanZ wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 21:24 What I meant is that the Plex server would do the encoding, not the streaming device. Do you know if that’s possible? Maybe without Plex?
The problem is that the device doesn't support bitstreaming HD audio codecs. However, MrMC can decode those within the app and output multichannel PCM no problem. There's really no quality lost.

The only thing the Plex server could do is transcode the audio to another format which you wouldn't want as there would technically be quality lost and MrMC would still have to decode it all the same.
YonathanZ

Post by YonathanZ »

Ok great, should be just as good if the Fire tv is powerful enough for this. I’ll give it a try.