1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

HD homerun support (interlaced playback and PVR)

Any issues that are FireTV specific
Fred42

HD homerun support (interlaced playback and PVR)

Post by Fred42 » 08 Aug 2017, 04:04

I have a FireTV 2 (box) and just got an HD Homerun extend. The HD Homerun app does not deinterlace the 1080i and Kodi drops to 1/2 the framerate if I try to use sw deinterlace. No improvement if I turn off the transcode and use the native mpg2

1- Is MrMC able to deinterlace the 1080i and play the video without impacting the framerate?
2- If so is there a difference in using H264 vs mpg2? (I prefer H264 to save bandwidth and space).
3- Any quality issues with the deinterlace?
3- Can MrMC be set to only use deinterlace for 1080i but use full hardware decode for non interlaced videos? (the preference for Kodi defaults to all videos)

4- Any plan to support the HD Homerun PVR client (https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/wiki) that is able to use the HD Homerun DVR as a backend

Thanks

cosmoxl

Re: HD homerun support (interlaced playback and PVR)

Post by cosmoxl » 08 Aug 2017, 13:26

Fred42 wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 04:04
I have a FireTV 2 (box) and just got an HD Homerun extend. The HD Homerun app does not deinterlace the 1080i and Kodi drops to 1/2 the framerate if I try to use sw deinterlace. No improvement if I turn off the transcode and use the native mpg2

1- Is MrMC able to deinterlace the 1080i and play the video without impacting the framerate?
2- If so is there a difference in using H264 vs mpg2? (I prefer H264 to save bandwidth and space).
3- Can MrMC be set to only use deinterlace for 1080i but use full hardware decode for non interlaced videos? (the preference for Kodi defaults to all videos)

4- Any plan to support the HD Homerun PVR client (https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/wiki) that is able to use the HD Homerun DVR as a backend

Thanks
1) I have good results with mpeg2 1080i. It's all done with software, using bob-inverse.
2) My understanding is that the fire tv 2 can deinterlace with hardware h264 video but not mpeg2.
3) I've had no opportunity to test h264 hardware deinterlace on the fire tv 2 but bob-inverse seems fine to me.
4) I don't know
5) I really don't know. :)

If you're saying the HDHR extend can transcode mpeg2 to h264 but doesn't deinterlace, then I suggest in settings>video>acceleration you try both mediacodec surface and mediacodec (one at a time to see which is best) with deinterlacing allowed on. This is supposed to deinterlace h264 content with hardware. Remember, you can click the menu button on the remote to bring up codec info overlay.

If that doesn't work, then I suggest keeping the mpeg2 stream and making sure that bob-inverse is the deinterlace method. Save that for all videos. With mpeg2 the fire tv will use software decode, software deinterlace. I've found that bob-inverse does a pretty good job with the version of ffmpeg used now in MrMC. (previous versions weren't so good)

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: HD homerun support (interlaced playback and PVR)

Post by davilla » 08 Aug 2017, 14:59

Fred42 wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 04:04

Thanks
1) Yes, disable interlace for MediaCodec (surface) and let it pass through to MediaCodec (non-surface).
2) I always let the HD HomeRun transcode to h264.
3a) Interlaced video is a 1980's technology. It should have died in a fire decades ago. No Deinterlacer is 'perfect', they all suffer from various artifacts. Deinterlacing only worked well on CRT's with long persistence phosphor screens.
3b) See 1). It will still hw decode but use internal shapers for deinterlacing. Or disable deinterlace for both an do both decode/deinterlace via sw FFMpeg.
4) Possible, never knew it existed until now.