1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

DTS passthrough with Gen 1 Fire TV

Any issues that are FireTV specific
RobinWatts

DTS passthrough with Gen 1 Fire TV

Post by RobinWatts » 29 Jun 2017, 20:01

Hi all,

I have a Gen 1 Fire TV box, connected to a Yamaha RX-V377 surround amp (with 5.1 speakers) via an HDMI cable. The amp has DTS-HD and Dolby Digital True HD logos on it.

Background:

My DVD collection has overwhelmed the space available to it in my lounge, so I've decided to rip everything to a NAS and play it from there. I was using Kodi on the FireTV and it worked well for DVD rips, but I ran into a problem with getting surround sound playing from Blu-Ray rips. After a bit of googling, I found out about MrMC, and saw that it specifically allowed DTS passthrough - so I bought a copy.

Unfortunately, while there is a shiny "DTS capable reciever" option that I've turned on, I can't get DTS out.

The Problem:

I've ripped DVDs and BluRays to .mkv files on the server.

When I play a DVD stream back, it correctly plays surround sound. When I play a Bluray stream back, I just get stereo.

The settings:

MrMc: System - Settings: Audio output
Number of channels: 5.1
Output Configuration: Optimized
Stereo upmix: off
Maintain original volume on downmix: On
Boost Centre channel when downmixing: 0db
Resample quality: Medium
Threshold for pitch correction: 2
Keep audio device alive: 1 Minute
Level of inaudible silence: Default
(Greyed out: Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding: Off)
Play GUI sounds: Only when playback is stopped
Enable Passthrough: On
Passthrough format is IES Packed: On
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable receiver: On
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable Receiver: On
DTS capable receiver: On

In the Amazon Fire Settings: Display and Sounds: I have Dolby Digital Output set to "Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI".

The Bluray rip I'm trying to test has a DTS-HD 5.1 audio stream, with a DTS 5.1 'core' audio stream.

While the file is playing, if I press the burger button on the remote, I get some file information pop up:

D(Audio: truehd, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32 (24 bit)
P(aq:99%, Kb/s:3345.79, att:0.0 dB)

D(Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(tv, bt709, progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9])
P(vq:99%, Mb/s29.39, fr: 23.976, dc:amc-h264(S), drop:0, skip:0, pc:none)

(and some CPU usage stuff which I've omitted).

My surround amp clearly shows I'm only getting 2 channels sent though.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please? Should this work? Do I need to rip the Blurays differently?

Thanks in advance for any advice people can give!

Robin

amet
Team MrMC

Re: DTS passthrough with Gen 1 Fire TV

Post by amet » 29 Jun 2017, 20:38

hi,

could you also get us a file mediainfo and debuglog while the file is playing

thanks
amet

RobinWatts

Post by RobinWatts » 29 Jun 2017, 21:15

Ok, embarassing confession time...

"could you also get us a file mediainfo and debuglog while the file is playing"

I'm not sure how to do this, but in trying I've spotted something. If I click the middle button on the remote, it says:

[1080] [Dolby True HD] [5.1] [eng]

So it looks like this is a Dolby True HD stream, not a DTS-HD one. My apologies.

Having just tried a different BluRay with a DTS-HD Master Audio track, and that plays fine.

Going back to the problem file, I found the "Audio and Subtitle Settings" page, and the stream that is coming out as stereo says "English - Surround 5.1 - Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (1/3)". If I change that to "English - Surround 5.1 - AC3 5.1 (2/3)", I get 5.1 sound out. Woo Hoo!

So, we now have 3 questions:

1) Should I be able to play a Dolby True HD stream ? Can that be passthrough'd ?
2) How do I get a file mediainfo?
3) How do I get a debuglog while the file is playing?

Thanks again.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 29 Jun 2017, 22:34

RobinWatts wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 21:15
1) Should I be able to play a Dolby True HD stream ? Can that be passthrough'd ?
2) How do I get a file mediainfo?
3) How do I get a debuglog while the file is playing?
1) No, that would require a sample rate of 192KHz and the FireTV1/2 cannot be configured for sample rates above 96KHz.
2) See the how mediainfo is sort of highlighted ? Click on it :)
3) Same for debuglog

RobinWatts

Post by RobinWatts » 29 Jun 2017, 22:45

davilla wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 22:34
1) No, that would require a sample rate of 192KHz and the FireTV1/2 cannot be configured for sample rates above 96KHz.
2) See the how mediainfo is sort of highlighted ? Click on it :)
3) Same for debuglog
1) Ah, well that makes perfect sense then. I'll try reripping that disc with just the non HD 5.1 selected.

2) D'Oh. I'd looked at the link, saw that it went off-site and figured that it was one of those annoying bulletin board things that 'helpfully' highlights words. What a fool.

3) yeah, a complete fool.

So, in light of 1), I consider this problem solved, and there seems little point in wasting your time with 2) and 3). Thanks for your help!