1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Codec Type Aspect Ratio info not loading for new files

Any issues that are FireTV specific
VonMagnum

Re: Codec Type Aspect Ratio info not loading for new files

Post by VonMagnum » 21 Mar 2017, 23:43

Oh, what makes me think there is a connection between MrMC and Kodi in terms of the cache is that when I switch from one to the other, I get that "blue bar" and/or "first time running" message when I start the other program even though it's NOT the first time. It then acts up somehow (e.g. trying to go to settings shows a black/blank screen is common). Telling the FireTV Application Manager to clear the cache does indeed show the "first time running" bar again, but this time the settings, etc. work fine.

VonMagnum

Post by VonMagnum » 21 Mar 2017, 23:51

I still don't know why I get the "first time loading" bar after Kodi, etc. and the preference panes acting up until I clear the cache, but I believe I've discovered why IEC packing isn't working.

The IEC packing button is set/wired BACKWARDS in MrMC. In other words, when the button is lit, it's outputting a RAW signal (noise at TV through HDMI on a 5.1 soundtrack), but when it's not-lit it's outputting a packed signal (stereo at TV on a 5.1 soundtrack). I assume the GUI button is simply set to the wrong boolean value (i.e. lit should be ON or IEC packed and instead it's the other way around).

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 22 Mar 2017, 00:03

" There may be another cause, but it only started doing that today when I upgraded Kodi from Isengard to Krypton"

You trying to confuse me :) Kind-of hard to debug when you are changing things around. Two logs, playing same thing, pick some setting for audio. Set both similar. One log from kodi, the other from MrMC.

MrMC and Kodi should give identical results using IEC audio packing. The code is the same. There are some slight differences but nothing that will alter IEC packing.

The big difference between your setup and most everyone that has posted anything is forcing two channel to get AC3 transcode. As I don't play have to toslink games, I don't think it has been extensively tested.

Black screens, strange setting and such sounds like storage issues. Like your firetv2 is running out of flash storage.

Your MrMC is using libDSM for SMB, does SMB work with that setting off ?

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 22 Mar 2017, 00:14

VonMagnum wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 23:51
I still don't know why I get the "first time loading" bar after Kodi, etc. and the preference panes acting up until I clear the cache, but I believe I've discovered why IEC packing isn't working.

The IEC packing button is set/wired BACKWARDS in MrMC. In other words, when the button is lit, it's outputting a RAW signal (noise at TV through HDMI on a 5.1 soundtrack), but when it's not-lit it's outputting a packed signal (stereo at TV on a 5.1 soundtrack). I assume the GUI button is simply set to the wrong boolean value (i.e. lit should be ON or IEC packed and instead it's the other way around).
Not a chance :) Log shows

NOTICE: CAESinkAUDIOTRACK::Initializing with: m_encoding: 2, m_sampleRate: 48000 format: AE_FMT_RAW (AE) method: IEC (PT) stream-type: STREAM_TYPE_AC3 min_buffer_size: 32768 m_frames: 6144 m_frameSize: 1 channels: 2

and the only way that would show if a CAEBitstreamPacker was created.

CAEEncoderFFmpeg::Initialize - AC3 encoder ready

ac3 transcode.

Of course I have no clue how audio was setup. Too many changes going on to follow.

VonMagnum

Post by VonMagnum » 22 Mar 2017, 00:56

davilla wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 00:03
" There may be another cause, but it only started doing that today when I upgraded Kodi from Isengard to Krypton"

You trying to confuse me :) Kind-of hard to debug when you are changing things around. Two logs, playing same thing, pick some setting for audio. Set both similar. One log from kodi, the other from MrMC.
That's exactly what I gave you (both were running Platoon with the same settings). The fact I upgraded from Isengard this morning has nothing to do with it other than the fact I never had trouble running both together before. Maybe it is a low memory thing. I don't know what's causing that issue, but clearing the cache gets rid of it for either program.
MrMC and Kodi should give identical results using IEC audio packing. The code is the same. There are some slight differences but nothing that will alter IEC packing.
It DOES work now, like I just said when I turn IEC Packing OFF. The switch "appears" to be reversed (as in I get noise with it ON and a stereo signal with it OFF at the TV). I understand you're saying the log says otherwise. I'm not the author. I can only surmise something is getting reversed after the log feedback somehow. I don't know how. I just know my TV doesn't lie (i.e. I can tell NOISE from a stereo soundtrack signal).

IEC Packing UNLIT (as in black button) = STEREO at TV
IEC Packing LIT (as in blue button) = NOISE at TV
The big difference between your setup and most everyone that has posted anything is forcing two channel to get AC3 transcode. As I don't play have to toslink games, I don't think it has been extensively tested.
The transcode button doesn't appear to have anything to do with it as I'm now getting Dolby Digital with or without transcode on or off as long as it's a Dolby Digital source. That didn't appear to be the case earlier and I'm not sure why it's working now other than having toggled that IEC button that I didn't mess with before. The transode button simply converts non-Dolby Digital signals into Dolby Digital (Flac surround, etc. or even DTS to Dolby) instead of PCM.

The ONLY change now is whether I turn IEC Packing on or off and again, it's backwards to the expected result and resetting MrMC and the setting a dozen times has not changed that result.
Black screens, strange setting and such sounds like storage issues. Like your firetv2 is running out of flash storage.
It is down to 600MB left (largely due to too many thumbnails in Kodi and some residual files from older builds) so that might be affecting something. I'm not terribly worried about it since clearing the cache gets rid of the issue (there are no actual setting changes shared by the two, just the odd behavior of an apparent reset).
Your MrMC is using libDSM for SMB, does SMB work with that setting off ?
It will load the directories with it off, but it can't start playing a file (using MacOS El Capitain as the server). With libDSM on, it normally works fine, but has on two occasions now given errors for some reason. Changing something (like the cache setting in this case) seems to get it working again somehow but I don't think it has anything at all to do with the cache setting. I think that just somehow causes something to reset somewhere.
davilla wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 00:14
VonMagnum wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 23:51

Not a chance :) Log shows
I'm sure it does show, but my ears and TV don't lie as to the audible result.

As far as I'm concerned, the IEC Packing problem is solved for me. I simply have to turn the option off to get it to turn ON. Now whether you believe that or not is not something I'm going to worry about. I've put a lot of time into getting those logs, etc. only to find your program somehow has the settings reversed for me.

I also still don't get Meta information loading in a directory. If I load a brand new directory with files, the THUMBNAIL will load and the total time starts filling up, but the "HD" or "SD" marks and aspect ratio, etc. never show up in the newest version here until I actually play a given file and then it will appear for that file only. I don't know why this is, but that's how it is. Kodi (V17.1) does not have that problem and older versions of MrMC didn't seem to have that problem either (pre 3.x) as all my older movies have the HD and SD markers beside them. This doesn't really affect playback or anything.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 22 Mar 2017, 01:12

Isengard has totally different audio handling from Krypton. Passthrough was in-fact faked through as two channel PCM. That is RAW (PT) in MrMC.

In Krypton, that mode was removed, much to the annoyances of many users.

VonMagnum

Post by VonMagnum » 22 Mar 2017, 02:04

davilla wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 01:12
Isengard has totally different audio handling from Krypton. Passthrough was in-fact faked through as two channel PCM. That is RAW (PT) in MrMC.

In Krypton, that mode was removed, much to the annoyances of many users.
I am and have been fully aware of that. I'm not running Isengard right now. I updated to Krypton this morning and all testing in this thread has been with Krypton, not Isengard. I'm running 17.1 Krypton as my log shows and MrMC 3.02. Isengard always sent NOISE to my TV speaker (which I would mute when using the stereo and outboard Technics Dolby Digital decoder). Krypton never sends noise to my TV Speaker. Hence, I know that IEC Packed = NO NOISE / RAW signal to the TV anymore. In fact , I always wondered why Netflix and Amazon Prime sent stereo to my TV even with 5.1 being sent to my Technics unit. IEC Packing is the reason.

Thus, I only have two issues in MrMC itself now.

1> IEC Packing works backwards here for whatever reason (raw when it's turned 'ON' and IEC packe when it's 'OFF'). Now that I know that, I can just use the opposite setting. (I.E. The problem is effectively functionally 'solved' here).

Why it's backwards, I don't know. You've said yourself you don't have a Toslink type setup to test it. My Panasonic TV is a good test since it's stereo only and plays noise with RAW and Stereo with IEC Packed via an HDMI Switch that detects DD/DTS and offers HDMI output and Toslink Output. I don't need a log entry to tell me when it's outputting NOISE to the TV speaker. I can just turn the MUTE button off to compare to my stereo's output.

2> MrMC V3.x seems to have broken Meta File information by directory. It still loads when a file is played, but not when entering a directory through "FILES". Thumbnails still load via FILES, but not the Meta Information. I have no idea why this isn't working here. I can try a brand new install downstairs in my regular home theater room to test a clean install. Otherwise, I'll just have to live with it since no else has noticed it. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 22 Mar 2017, 05:29

It's not backwards, trust me. I've spent weeks in the audio sinks and was the person who designed it in the 1st place many years ago.

The presence of noise means nothing regarding the state of IEC packing. It is amp/hdtv dependent. Some have it with IEC packing on, some do not. That's why there is a setting to switch it. Just leave it off and move on :)

There's something going on with metadata. Some have the issue, some do not. We cannot reproduce or figure out the reason yet. On the bug hunt list.

VonMagnum

Post by VonMagnum » 22 Mar 2017, 23:19

davilla wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 05:29
There's something going on with metadata. Some have the issue, some do not. We cannot reproduce or figure out the reason yet. On the bug hunt list.
I tried a clean install of Kodi 17.1 from the ground up to see what it would do (and that gave me back over 2GB of free space on the FireTV 4K). So far Kodi 17.1 has shown no meta data issues (all meta data loads as expected) and no SMB issues with my Mac (e.g. I watched a movie with MrMC and then when I went to start another one, it couldn't access any of my SMB shares. I could not get it to work again last night. As of the last time I checked, it still wouldn't start a movie (can't access share). It did that before and then it just disappeared again. No clue. Sometimes changing a switch (cache, smb setting, whatever) back and forth gets it working again, sometimes not. All I know is Kodi 17.1 has yet to show an SMB issue thus far. My only big issue with Kodi now is that god-awful new GUI they created. It's beyond hideous and I can't get it to load the old one from a repository. Of course it also won't do DTS with FireTV (won't be using it with my other FireTV 4K downstairs for that reason).

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 23 Mar 2017, 14:05

Kodi 17 uses libsmbclient v3.6.12 which carries a GPLv3 license. MrMC will never use any code that is GPLv3 so we use the last version of Samba that is GPLv2 (3.0.37). This version does have issues connecting to newer Windows/OSX servers because it uses a newer protocol. Sometimes forcing SMB v1 in settings->services->SMB Client helps.

LibDSM is new, created by the VLC devs and designed to replace the need for libsmbclient in providing smb client access. It carries a LGPLv2.1 license which is compatible with ours. Our LibDSM implementation is headed for a refactor. Generally it works but there are corner cases were it has issues.